UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Netflix Luke Cage

Zylek

Marvel Studios can do another Hulk movie but it's my understanding that Universal would still profit from distribution. Disney's not keen on that. So long as it's a team or buddy movie (The Avengers, Thor: Ragnarok) and not a standalone Hulk flick, Marvel Studios gets to have their cake and eat it. 

But yeah, introducing Jennifer in the court room would be incredible.

13 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Marvel Studios can do another Hulk movie but it's my understanding that Universal would still profit from distribution. Disney's not keen on that. So long as it's a team or buddy movie (The Avengers, Thor: Ragnarok) and not a standalone Hulk flick, Marvel Studios gets to have their cake and eat it. 

Oh, I know. By "off the table" I just meant another Hulk movie was unlikely.

Finished the show this weekend. For me, it was the weakest of the Netflix shows so far. I think they really need to change from the 13 episode season to 10. DD season 1 worked well, but JJ, DD2 and Luke Cage all seem very stretched out.

I did like some of the performances in Luke Cage though. The guy that plays Cottonmouth is a brilliant actor, and while the music was a bit odd at times I did enjoy that element of the show overall.

The ties to the MCU were good. Does anyone else think that the scientist might be a good way to introduce some Spidey villains into the MCU? Scorpion and Rhino spring to mind...

Edited by UK Collector

I actually enjoyed Luke Cage over Jessica Jones series wise.

the split with the ppl on the ground whether to support or capture cage was one of the better parts an the nod to the classic costume was a bonus.

My one major gripe of the series was the the swearing. Now dont get me wrong I come from a area where foul language is just day to day stuff and nobody bats an eyelid.(if I was on live chat I can F an blind in the middle of a conversation an not realise as it holds no strength where I live). But the use of the an I dont know the polictilly correct way to say it N word just made me wince every time. When one person calls the other that as it seems a greeting or even a verbal pat on the back its just bad for me. For years ppl have tried to put that part of history away so no one does it again

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still at ep5 and I'm just... not feeling it. Cage is engaging, Cornell, Shades and Misty are interesting, but the story is kinda drab and it feels like most scenes are filler. Even JJ, which was filled of filler, managed to be more engrossing. Dunno, maybe the next season will be better. But this is easily the worst of the NF shows for me. It's not awful, but it's not up there with the others. Personally speaking at least.

Jessica Jones was great, but at least 2-3 hours long.  I remember thinking the show peaked with that showdown in the restaurant, and wondering why that wasn't the penultimate episode.  Trim some of that fat and it's really pretty flawless.

I just finished Episode 10 of Luke Cage last night, and I'm struggling to think how this show will sustain until the end.  I like Luke, but I don't think the character has been well-defined enough to serve as the center for a show.  I really like Misty, and I'm glad to see an expanded role for Claire Temple (I had forgotten that she was a supporting character/love interest for Cage in the comics).  The villains are all right, but don't come anywhere close to being as engrossing as Kingpin or Killgrave.  I'm not convinced that the major shock in the middle of the season really served the show all that well.  But who knows, maybe I'll feel different about the show by the end.  But I don't think these Marvel Netflix shows get stronger as they roll on, so I'm not exactly optimistic.

I have to agree that these NF shows get worse each time. Not worse as in "awful", for example what's happened to Arrow, but nothing has topped DDS1 so far. I have high hopes for Punisher, and Iron Fist, but I feel Defenders may not be the Second Coming of TV that many are expecting it to be. They need to broaden up a bit, I'd say. The street-level "science-based"realistic characters worked as an introduction, but Phase 2 of NF should include Moon knight, Blade, Ghost Rider, and in a perfect world Carnage.

• 2 weeks later...

So, finished this tonight.  That last episode... no, that wasn't very good.  The series as a whole never came together.  I like Luke Cage, always have, but it's not like there are a lot of memorable Cage stories to adapt. Misty and Claire were the best parts of the show.  Some thoughts on the show's villains, hidden under the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Killing off Cottonmouth in the middle of the series was a big surprise, but ultimately a bad idea.  Though he was a bit too similar to the Kingpin, Cottonmouth was at least interesting, unlike Diamondback, who was just an irritating psycho. I think if they'd really made Mariah a full villain right away after Cottonmouth died it might have worked, but shifting to Diamondback was really a disaster.  The more Diamondback we got, the worst the show was. 

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to think we may get 3 Netflix series this year.  Iron Fist is in March with Defenders and Punisher both in production/filming.  I thought I read somewhere that Defenders would be shorter, like 8-10 episodes.  So hopefully we'll get Defenders and Punisher this year as well.  With Luke Cage S2, Jessica Jones S2 and Daredevil S3 already on tap, it would be 2020 at the earliest to see any of the rumored new series if they stick to only 2 series per year.

I still haven't finished LC... Just my personal opinion, but the Netflix shows got progressively worse, rathern than better. DDS2 had Punisher, but the rest was rather uninspired. LC had the good first half and then... JJ was did the whole "Killgrave escaped at the last minute" thing 2 or 3 times. 13 episodes is just too long. I do think Iron Fist will be better though. If anything, it'll be full of martial arts, mysticism and alien ninjas. It's just oo good to fail.

I agree 100%, I think 10 episodes should be the cap on any of them unless they feel they have an arc that needs more.  The middle of all 4 seasons so far seems to drag a bit because they have to fill 13 episodes.