UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2016 Pictures & News

3 hours ago, hellpop said:

My biggest concern coming out of San Diego is the absence of TRU Marvel sets.  Unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing on the horizon there.  I know a lot of you complain about TRU, but they've been a good partner for DST and Minimates, and we've gotten a lot of figures we wouldn't have thanks to them.  My fear is that they may be looking to phase out the regular Marvel waves and just stocking the movie products.

They may not take AS many assortments of comic figures as comic shops, but I see two on the schedule for next year, compared to three at specialty. So it's about even. The first comic assortment of 2017 is still in flux.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, hellpop said:

So should we not expect a TRU comics assortment for the rest of the year, or is there an upcoming one I'm forgetting about?

I mean, there's the one shipping to stores NOW, TRU 22: Deadpool-a-pool-looza, but that might be it? Next two are Civil War and Doc Strange. I think they are also carrying the Netflix sets, but not sure.

The NEXT comic assortment would be early 2017, I believe, since we have not finished Series 71 yet and it would partner with that.

Are there any officially released images from Beetlejuice, Elf and The Iron Giant , that you can show? Also, when can we expect to see some images of the minimates that will be offered with these licenses? Elf minimates would be so nice as stocking stuffers this year (I know that's crazy talk, but it would be nice)

Thanks in advance for any responses! I'm very excited about these properties...

25 minutes ago, Nervous Rex said:

Are there any officially released images from Beetlejuice, Elf and The Iron Giant , that you can show? Also, when can we expect to see some images of the minimates that will be offered with these licenses? Elf minimates would be so nice as stocking stuffers this year (I know that's crazy talk, but it would be nice)

Those three Vinimates were shot at the office before going to the con, but none have been cleaned up yet, so the booth pics are as good as any. (And they're obviously prototypes.)

I don't believe VInimates OR Minimates for any of those properties will be out this year, but possibly Vinimates -- we're also doing a Beetlejuice pint glass which may be out. We showed Iron Giant Minimates artwork at the panel, but we won't show it publicly until the prototypes are done, so I'm thinking 2017, but I do not know.

37 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I thought DST was leaning away from 4-packs due to cost.

Either way, I'll take Iron Giant Minimates any way I can get them so long as they're not blind-bagged.

What's wrong with a blind bag case of 17 Hogarths and 1 Iron Giant?

Iron Giant Minimates sound really cool. A 2-pack is perfect for them. Looking forward to the artwork reveal.

19 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

Do you happen to know which characters you guys are going to be doing for Beetlejuice or Elf?

I'd guess at least Lydia Deetz, since she's getting a Vinimate.

20 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

It'd be great if DST offered a Minimates-styled bank of the Iron Giant.

Just a thought.

In addition to the Vinimate? Seems like overkill, especially from DST's perspective.

25 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

In addition to the Vinimate? Seems like overkill, especially from DST's perspective.

Last I knew, from DST's perspective, Vinimates and Minimates had ENTIRELY different, non-compatable aesthetics and would give you eye cancer if they appeared on a shelf together. Hence my suggestion for a Minimates-style bank. :D

3 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Last I knew, from DST's perspective, Vinimates and Minimates had ENTIRELY different, non-compatable aesthetics and would give you eye cancer if they appeared on a shelf together. Hence my suggestion for a Minimates-style bank. :D

Didn't they have the same attitude to a minimate-style Stay Puft bank for the Ghostbusters line?

13 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Didn't they have the same attitude to a minimate-style Stay Puft bank for the Ghostbusters line?

I believe the argument was that there were so many sculpted parts added to the Minimates figure to make it look like Stay-Puft that the movie-accurate bank was sufficient.

However, the proportions of the Minimate Iron Giant would be much different than a hypothetical, movie-accurate version. And given those proportions, a bank that used the Minimates aesthetic could have more volume to hold currency.

I think the Alice thread was lost to the upgrade, so I'll just drop the panel announcements here.

• TRU Exclusive: White Rabbit/Cheshire Cat.
  • Hot Topic Blind Exclusives: Time-Frozen Alice, Monochrome Time, Translucent Cheshire Cat.

And FWIW, someone during the Q&A also asked about DST making an alternate hand where the peg is rotated 90 degrees about the grip axis.  For better gripping of accessories like the Minigun. Chuck was very receptive and seemed to like this idea.