UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2016 Pictures & News

39 minutes ago, CortherX said:

when you say "less detailed" and show pics of Captain America or Hawkeye and the only difference i see is an additional line on each cheek, i think we're getting a little nit picky. the animated Hawkeye would not be my go to if i had only one to choose, but it's still a good looking mate and fits in just fine with the others. maybe they are a bit more simple, but that Crossbones is sweet, Taskmaster is Sweet, Venom is on my DFoSM display, and all of the movie GotG mates have been replaced by their animated versions... so i'm not complaining.

As I said, "it all comes down to preference". Personally speaking, the differences are a whole lot more than just "an additional line on each cheek". If you think they fit in, sure, go ahead, nobody's forcing you to keep them separate. I'm using IM3 War Machine as my go-to War Machine, for example. 

BUT(!), as far as I'm concerned, Animated mates simply aren't up to par with the comic line. Therefore, Animated 2099 does not count as an update of the comic version in my book. It's essentially a different costume, considering it's missing key ingredients of the original design. Same goes for other Animated mates. Less detailed hairpieces, less muscle definition, less sculpted parts, less realistic expressions, etc, etc. You might not notice them or consider them a big deal, but I, and others, do.

Either way, I don't see what the fuss is all about. Some us simply don't consider the Animated mates peers of the regular, comic based ones. Some of you folks like them and add them to your displays. Fair enough, nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. "Different strokes for different folks" as they say.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, force2099 said:

Does anyone know if they will be releasing all the animated ones who don't have a comic version as a comic version?

In the case of characters like Man-Thing and Squirrel Girl, I'd say yes if only because it allows DST to amortize the cost of tooling across more SKUs.

I want to thank you guys. Every time I come to the Multiverse, I'm reminded of how lucky I am that 1) I'm not a completionist and 2) I don't mind the animated style asking with regular mates. It makes my collecting experience FAR more enjoyable to just buy what I want and be happy with what we have. I understand that for some people, that's not enough. I'm not being snarky. I'm saying you all truly make me feel better about MY collecting habits.

My GotG display is a mish mash of animated, movie, and comic (Angela) figures. My Avengers only include the characters and figures I like, so I'm never upset that I HAD to buy a figure I didn't like the design of, just because. And I get the play pattern of Minimates, so when a new head looks better on an old body (Jubilee) I really don't mind upgrading at the loss of the two distinct figures. ::shrugs::

I'm sorry for those of you who feel the line doesn't serve you well, in one way or another. I think it's pretty fantastic.

Did Marvel Legends have a bigger year than Minimates? Sure. But I'd argue they're STILL playing catch up after all those years where DST OWNED the Marvel landscape. Not to mention the pre-SDCC mates that were announced. Can't wait for GSXM, Tigra, Enchantress, Black Knight, and the Mandroid!

23 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

I haven't bought any of the Animated figures yet.  I would love to get Man-Thing, Hyperion and Squirrel Girl but I just can't pull the trigger on that stuff.  Like other people have said, the unmasked people do stand out.  They look like the older more simple Minimates from a decade ago.  I try to replace my older ones whenever a newer better version comes out. Why would I want to spend more money to buy something that looks dated?

Careful now. Some of us -- me -- like the look you're calling "dated". It's the simpler lines to match the simple block body that drew me into Minimates 14 years ago. Don't be slamming the Original Taste.

:)

Edited by Cappy

I'm looking forward to the Nighthawk and Man-Thing.  I don't mind the animated style, though I might swap them out for comic versions if DST ever does them.  But for now, they look good to me and I'm happy to get the characters.  Especially seeing the other Squadron Supreme members planned for later.

Also, I haven't been on long so I haven't been one of the many voices on this site asking for the Classic Falcon, but he is a huge step up for me from the comic version we've got now.  I collected Avengers since I was a kid and still think of the old costume as the only costume for Falcon.

Argh! That Chibi Spider-Man just makes me want a full team of the characters as children as well as complete teams of Mojoverse X-Babies and Mighty Vengers. Not to mention an articulated Rocket Raccoon using that smaller body. Just for continuity sake pack him with a bulked up Battle Ready Groot with Carnage tendrils and hands.

12 hours ago, force2099 said:

Does anyone know if they will be releasing all the animated ones who don't have a comic version as a comic version?

I asked about this on Instagram and was told that none of the mates that currently appear only in the animated line have comic versions planned for them. 

Yeah, that's me. Nobody else on DST posts online.

I had a whole post written here and my computer died in the Dallas airport, but it basically said, you can feel how you feel about animated Mates being compatible with comic Mates, just like you can with movie Mates. But any increase in likelihood that comes from existing tooling is tempered by A. they were not high on our list before, B. they are not particularly well-known characters outside of the animated universe, and C. we are already making them in the animated line, thereby satisfying a larger portion of the collector base who may no longer have a driving urge to buy them. Also, they would compete with Walgreens, and we'd like to give them a sales window.

You can Ask DST, but remember that Chuck likes known entities, themed waves and basic Mates. Maybe if US Avengers blows up...

I just got back from San Diego, and was personally psyched to see how Squirrel Girl came out. Given the variance of styles that mates have adopted over the years (from the simplistic early years, to arguably specific artist-inspired cross hatching like the Gambit / Psylocke 2-pack), I don't see these animated mates as significant deviations from the "norm." But YMMV.

The whole foundation of minimates is basically cute-ized versions of Marvel characters, with the beautiful irony of being fairly hardcore toys with tons of accessories and articulation. If a design style tilts slightly more toward cell animation than a particular artistic style, I don't find it to be significantly distracting. I respect the varying opinions on this issue, but unmade characters will always top my wish list over re-dos of animated figs that are basically 616-accurate.

Also: Hyperion!

7 hours ago, elhonez said:

I just got back from San Diego, and was personally psyched to see how Squirrel Girl came out. Given the variance of styles that mates have adopted over the years (from the simplistic early years, to arguably specific artist-inspired cross hatching like the Gambit / Psylocke 2-pack), I don't see these animated mates as significant deviations from the "norm." But YMMV.

The whole foundation of minimates is basically cute-ized versions of Marvel characters, with the beautiful irony of being fairly hardcore toys with tons of accessories and articulation. If a design style tilts slightly more toward cell animation than a particular artistic style, I don't find it to be significantly distracting. I respect the varying opinions on this issue, but unmade characters will always top my wish list over re-dos of animated figs that are basically 616-accurate.

Also: Hyperion!

Couldn't. Agree. More.

My biggest concern coming out of San Diego is the absence of TRU Marvel sets.  Unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing on the horizon there.  I know a lot of you complain about TRU, but they've been a good partner for DST and Minimates, and we've gotten a lot of figures we wouldn't have thanks to them.  My fear is that they may be looking to phase out the regular Marvel waves and just stocking the movie products.