UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2016 Pictures & News

IMO the animated characters fit in just fine next to the comic and even movie mates

I've got multiple animated Spider-Man and Spider-Man related characters all in a huge group shot and no one looks out of place; and I can't wait to add chibi Spidey & Spider-Man Noir to the mix (as well as Sir Spider Knight when I can get him)

DSC_0010_zpscgkjab0f.jpg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jay Tigran said:

IMO the animated characters fit in just fine next to the comic and even movie mates

I've got multiple animated Spider-Man and Spider-Man related characters all in a huge group shot and no one looks out of place; and I can't wait to add chibi Spidey & Spider-Man Noir to the mix (as well as Sir Spider Knight when I can get him)

DSC_0010_zpscgkjab0f.jpg

Yeah, muscle detailing is so inconsistent across the comic line that I just don't think they look out of place.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

Itsy Bitsy aside, I will never understand that flat-out rejection of Animated-style MInimates as "too cartoony." If you can read Squirrel Girl alongside other Marvel Comics, I don't see why minor differences in the face are less acceptable. Besides, I would not expect a David Finch Squirrel Girl any time soon.

Personally speaking, it's mostly about the faces. Masked characters, like Spider-Man, don't have that problem. But the ones that are "normal" folks, don't really blend in, IMO always. I mean, if you compare the Animated & Comic versions of a certain character, you'll see major differences.

fig1602flg.jpgfig2315flg.jpg

Miles could fit in with other comics mates, but still, there's a noticeable difference between the first TRU release and his most recent animated one.

fig1603flg.jpgfig2211flg.jpg

Again, the detailing is more simplistic, the face is less detailed, there are noticeable differences. Same goes for these:

fig1821flg.jpgfig2319flg.jpg

fig1266f3lg.jpgfig2320flg.jpg

fig2079flg.jpgfig2322flg.jpg

Sure, they are very different costumes, but due to the nature of the animated version's design, the face is far less detailed.

I won't say that Animated figures have no place in a regular display, but I also can't say that they all work. Animated Taskmaster works perfectly as a modern Taskmaster. Man-Thing works pretty good as a comic accurate Man-Thing. But in the meantime, I'd never use Animated Hawkeye or Ultron in my display. It all comes down to preference, really. I just buy the Animated stuff that I think would work with my mates and skip the rest. Problem is, they're waaaaay too elusive for me. Heck, I'm still hunting for that Taskmaster set. Not to mention Power Princess, Nighthawk and Man-Thing...

PS: Any chance you could tell us who's in Gotham Series 4?

Edited by Kostisfire

Just now, BuffaloDelorean said:

Yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from. In Canada, you can only get minimates at an LCS.

Here, you can get mates only... from the net... Thanks goodness for Luke, really. BBTS is my back-up plan though. Their prices are fair, and their shipping ain't that expensive.

Just now, BuffaloDelorean said:

It must be hard to be a collector.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's too get rid of the completionist mentality, and just pick and choose. Now, if you have the budget for it, sure, go nuts, but if you have limited funds, it's better to just buy the things you really want. From my experience, I've found comic book collecting to be much easier. That, and were it not for the cost, 1/6th scale. Personally speaking, due to their high prices, I can set limits to myself, whereas with minimates, considering the relatively low selling point, I get a bit too "trigger happy"...

1 hour ago, Kostisfire said:

I won't say that Animated figures have no place in a regular display, but I also can't say that they all work. Animated Taskmaster works perfectly as a modern Taskmaster. Man-Thing works pretty good as a comic accurate Man-Thing. But in the meantime, I'd never use Animated Hawkeye or Ultron in my display. It all comes down to preference, really.

Then I'll go ahead and say it: Animated figures have no place in a regular display.

Joking aside, the pictures make the point quite clear. It's not "wrong" to mix them in but if you do you're choosing to overlook a significant style difference. Which is is fine, it's just annoying to see people say we don't "need" a comic version of a character because DST made an animated version.

2 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Then I'll go ahead and say it: Animated figures have no place in a regular display.

Joking aside, the pictures make the point quite clear. It's not "wrong" to mix them in but if you do you're choosing to overlook a significant style difference. Which is is fine, it's just annoying to see people say we don't "need" a comic version of a character because DST made an animated version.

Yup, I gotta agree. Animated 2099 is good enough, but... I'd take a new one. Fast... I don't have a "problem" with them, but, I don't consider the animated versions the very same thing. It's all about preference, but it's just the comic version for me. Animated Man-Thing is good enough, but as I said before, I'm not mixing Animated Hawkeye with my comic mates...

I think it's awfully pretentious to completely dismiss someone's opinion towards these. If you don't like the animated style and can articulate why instead of just saying "pass" or "these suck" then your opinion should matter.

I don't like the animated style because I collect merchandise based on comic books. The same reason I don't buy movie stuff. Good for those who are into that but just not for me. To me it's like if you collected Marvel Legends and mixed in your Hero Mashers. It just doesn't fit.

Nobody is asking for a David Finch Squirrel Girl. I would like one that I can display with my other stuff though. YMMV but these are just too simple looking to fit in. I dunno, maybe I have higher standards for my collection.

There's some new tooling here so I'm crossing my fingers just like with Man-Thing that the molds are stretched out over multiple releases to get the most out of them.

Edited by bigvis497

I haven't bought any of the Animated figures yet.  I would love to get Man-Thing, Hyperion and Squirrel Girl but I just can't pull the trigger on that stuff.  Like other people have said, the unmasked people do stand out.  They look like the older more simple Minimates from a decade ago.  I try to replace my older ones whenever a newer better version comes out. Why would I want to spend more money to buy something that looks dated?

1 minute ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Unrelated, but this was my thinking about the ReAction figures.

Well, it's totally diiferent IMO. ReAction is purely nostalgia fueled, as they're essentially Kenner versions (ala the old Star Wars toys) of new (and old) licenses. To a young person who never grew up with those, they're nothing but badly made action figures, but to the old guard, they're a trip to the past. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Just look at Stranger Things (twas excellent BTW). 

Animated Mates are a whole different case. They're less detailed versions that don't really fit with our collections so far. You'd never mix ReAction figs with Neca or Hot Toys action figures (unless you have say, a shelf dedicated to "Escape from New York" and display the 1/6th fig alongside the ReAction Snake), so it's not the same "dillema" we're facing with Animated stuff. 

39 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Well, it's totally diiferent IMO. ReAction is purely nostalgia fueled, as they're essentially Kenner versions (ala the old Star Wars toys) of new (and old) licenses. To a young person who never grew up with those, they're nothing but badly made action figures, but to the old guard, they're a trip to the past. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Just look at Stranger Things (twas excellent BTW). 

Animated Mates are a whole different case. They're less detailed versions that don't really fit with our collections so far. You'd never mix ReAction figs with Neca or Hot Toys action figures (unless you have say, a shelf dedicated to "Escape from New York" and display the 1/6th fig alongside the ReAction Snake), so it's not the same "dillema" we're facing with Animated stuff. 

I can definitely understand that for classic properties, but things like Arrow and Firefly seem like a poor fit for the style. I also think they're overpriced but that's a different matter.

I wasn't trying to compare the two. It isn't in any way the same situation, I was just mentioning that his words mirrored my thoughts.

I look at animated 'mates as a seperate group like the Marvel movie waves, but considering they're all built on the same bodies, I can utilize a character that we only have in animated or movie style as the default version until another one is made. I used movie Odin until the comic style one was made the same way. And if it weren't for Steven Anne deciding to have the poll, we wouldn't be debating the viability of Squirrel Girl or Man-Thing at all, so I try to view the animated 'mates as a supplemental line. We still don't have comic versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but we have movie and animated versions. Your mileage may vary. 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I can definitely understand that for classic properties, but things like Arrow and Firefly seem like a poor fit for the style. I also think they're overpriced but that's a different matter.

I wasn't trying to compare the two. It isn't in any way the same situation, I was just mentioning that his words mirrored my thoughts.

Yeah, I find it kinda left-field as well, but I think people who loved those toys back then, and also love Firefly, may buy them. As for overpriced, well, everything's climbing up in price nowadays.

Sorry for the Animated thing, they were my thoughts on the subject, I wasn't implying that you were comparing them. I should've clarified better, but yeah, it was my view on it. 

13 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Classic Ghostbusters, we've announced we're working on the Ecto-1, but current focus is 2016 line, anything else classic is icing on a mostly complete line.

To be fair, that icing on the cake may be what some people are really looking forward to.

Honestly, I've been excited about the prospect of that and a non-damaged Ash from Aliens and the APC too. So both of those in a "maybe they'll be made, maybe they won't" is a bummer. Not taking it personally or anything, I know DST isn't making toys just for me and there've been oodles of recent reveals for sure.

Just hoping for that icing on the cake.

Edited by Mystery Man

2 hours ago, Valo487 said:

I look at animated 'mates as a seperate group like the Marvel movie waves, but considering they're all built on the same bodies, I can utilize a character that we only have in animated or movie style as the default version until another one is made. I used movie Odin until the comic style one was made the same way. And if it weren't for Steven Anne deciding to have the poll, we wouldn't be debating the viability of Squirrel Girl or Man-Thing at all, so I try to view the animated 'mates as a supplemental line. We still don't have comic versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but we have movie and animated versions. Your mileage may vary. 

That's more or less how I look at it.  I've got a few animated mates, but they're cherry picked.  Either characters that look good enough with the main line like Spidey 2099 or characters that I just love and think there mates look good like GotG.  I picked up Hawkeye with plans to eventually QC him into a pass asble Aja version, but I'm sorry lazy.  And then some characters, like Squirrel Girl, wouldn't even be on the table without the animated line.  I'm not planning on getting hey, but I think she's one that would work with comic mates.

As for SDCC, Hyperion is the only new mate that really has me interested.  Did all of the Squadron appear on whatever animated show they appeared on?  I'd like to have them all.  Looking forward to Superman v. Omni-Man v. Hyperion in minimate form.

And it's a travesty that we don't have comic GotG yet. 

Edited by Turtle

3 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Did all of the Squadron appear on whatever animated show they appeared on?  I'd like to have them all.  Looking forward to Superman v. Omni-Man v. Hyperion in minimate form.

Apparently, the remaining SS members from Avengers Assemble are Speed Demon, Doctor Prism, and... Nuke?

when you say "less detailed" and show pics of Captain America or Hawkeye and the only difference i see is an additional line on each cheek, i think we're getting a little nit picky. the animated Hawkeye would not be my go to if i had only one to choose, but it's still a good looking mate and fits in just fine with the others. maybe they are a bit more simple, but that Crossbones is sweet, Taskmaster is Sweet, Venom is on my DFoSM display, and all of the movie GotG mates have been replaced by their animated versions... so i'm not complaining.