UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sorry Shanester....

hellpop

Typical Bendis.

- Have the heroes act like a-holes and fight

- Kill/Depower someone

- Have an big event (but start promoting the next big event before the current big event is even done).

- Killed/Depowered person returns

This is all they do in a continuous cycle. Cap came back (again), Thor is coming back, etc, etc. Rinse, Wash, Repeat, over and over. 

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this. First off in Totally Awesome Hulk it states that he is completely gamma free now thanks to Cho, so why would he be any sort of threat now? I know it is said in CW 2 that he is experimenting on himself, but why would he do that if he is completely cured? It makes no sense to me. Bruce was happy to be normal for once. I think it is just another thing Marvel is doing for shock value. Bruce will somehow be back within a year.

More of Marvel flushing their universe down the toilet.  Hulk is Banner and Banner is Hulk.  He is green, indestructible and always will be.  Every time they mess with this, I lose interest.  I think it is their intention, so win for them.  They seem to want a new audience and that is what they are likely to get, if they get one at all. /rant

3 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this. First off in Totally Awesome Hulk it states that he is completely gamma free now thanks to Cho, so why would he be any sort of threat now? I know it is said in CW 2 that he is experimenting on himself, but why would he do that if he is completely cured? It makes no sense to me. Bruce was happy to be normal for once. I think it is just another thing Marvel is doing for shock value. Bruce will somehow be back within a year.

Bendis gonna Bendis.

4 hours ago, Shanester said:

More of Marvel flushing their universe down the toilet.  Hulk is Banner and Banner is Hulk.  He is green, indestructible and always will be.  Every time they mess with this, I lose interest.  I think it is their intention, so win for them.  They seem to want a new audience and that is what they are likely to get, if they get one at all. /rant

I'm curious to see how this ends up for them. DC just did a major relaunch to try to bring back older fans who left because of the New 52 while Marvel seems intent on alienating those same fans far more than DC did. I'm at the point where these things don't make me angry, I just watch to see how bad it can get. I can't imagine a combination of agendas that would result in the decisions they've made.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel pulled something like Rebirth after the massive success it's been. 

These Bendis Benders gotta stop though. I don't read any marvel but Silver Surver and X-Men 92 now. 

Bendis-Man, Bendis-Man,

Does whatever a Bendis can,

Decompresses, all the time,

Doesn't care, about your dime,

Look out!

Here comes the Bendis-Man.

Is he bad?

Listen Bud,

He's the one who turned Star-Lord blonde,

Can he write anything good,

Who knows, surely not you,

Hey there,

Here comes the Bendis-Man.

(I can't come up with the rest, so there you go)

Honestly, neither Marvel NOR DC are doing everything right at this point. DC's just reprinting old stories, technically speaking. Aquaman vs Black Manta! Batman vs Hugo Strange! Superman vs Luthor! Wonder Woman vs Cheetah! So yeah, their output is rather stale in that regard. What saves them, is that they're more... honest, I guess? If you look at their recent solicits, you'll see minis for Deadman, Hawkman/Adam Strange, Midnighter/Apollo. all of whom are characters who couldn't headline an ongoing these days. So, they're markting them as minis. Now, compare that to Marvel, who advertises stuff like Foolkiller, Solo, Slapstick, Bullseye and Kingpin as ongoings... I mean, WTF? 

Over at Marvel, they're taking too many risks, and are sacrificing good storytelling in the name of publicity and cash. Events = Cash, and Replacements = Publicity. Case in point, Bendis' OC (nope, I refuse to call her by name, considering she's nothing more than a Mary Sue DeviantArt OC). She's appeared for all of...what, 10 panels in a year? But now suddenly, she's fit to be Iron Man! Oh and she's like, smarter than Tony! Meanwhile, he, after being promoted as the new mascot of Marvel, is now gonna die/retire/become an AI. Do you see the problem now? They're liars, cheaters and dishonest, and that's what pisses people off more than anything.

Personally, I'm pulling 6 Marvel titles as of now: Moon Knight, Doctor Strange, Uncanny X-Men, Ultimates, Deadpool and Black Panther (Darth Vader as well, but that's ending this August). From those, Moon Knight is legitimately great, but all the others... Doctor Strange stars a Stephen who smooches women in the middle of a kid's exorcism, Black Panther is just a Wakanda story where T'Challa is the Antagonist and Coates' OCs are the "real" heroes, Ultimates is nothing like what was advertised, X-Men is by the numbers, and Deadpool is good enough.

From DC, I'm pulling 3 titles: Batman, Hellblazer and Deathstroke. Batman has been so far, a "classic" comic book. See, that's what people like about current DC. They're publishing straight-up comic books. You open it, and you're not hit with political propaganda, "meta-commentary" and the like, but you actually get a great story. Good guys vs bad guys in interesting and well written plots.

But, I can hear you from behind "but Kostis, what's the point of reading the same things again and again, let them experiment". And yeah, I'd agree, if Marvel wasn't doing such a poor job at it. I like the fact that they're giving more villains a chance, but everything else, they're doing wrong. They've made their heroes unrecognizable, their stories are bad retreats, their events are mediocre, and they can't let a book breathe before cancelling it. Did anyone notice when Red Wolf's "ongoing" begin and end? No? Of course not, because Marvel neither promoted it, nor let it breathe. So yeah, they want their pie whole, and their stomach full as well.

Like it or not, these characters are America's mythology, in a way. So, in general, they must be "protected" and preserved. Create new heroes, or just retire them. All stories end at some point. I mean, I don't recall Hercules finding a genius orphan, blessed by the Gods of Chaos who could command an army of Black-Snakes, and taking him under his care. Herc was... Herc. Same goes for Jason, Thor, Odin and all those wonderful characters. What is happening here, is that Marvel is more interested in getting the Tumblr crowd's attention, rather than putting out good books.

In general, what I'm trying to say, is that, if you look for actually great comics, go to the Indies. That's your only choice. They have new and interesting characters, plots, stories, and in general you get more bang for your buck. Ifyou want great Super-Hero stuff, go to DC. A lowered Price-Point, the Classic characters back where they belong, and in general just a perfect super-hero universe. The only reason to go with Marvel, is for a few B/C-Lister books (MK, Black Widow, etc), and what I'm doing, out of loyalty. I would've dropped everything bar MK, but that darned loyalty to them has me spending more than I'd like to, on stuff I'm not enjoying. One of those days though, I'll just cancel it all and stick with books that I actually like...

PS: I can't recommend Ninjak, Bloodshot and Eat of West enough though. Those books are phenomenal.

Edited by Kostisfire