youbastards

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/29/2016 at 11:40 PM, force2099 said:

Well that sucks....which shop is it?

Defiant Comics in Forest Park.

There goes all my one per case 'Mates, as well as being able to have my stuff held until I can afford it. Now I'll have to buy everything the second it comes out, or hope it doesn't get too expensive on the secondary market. :(

I really am only interested in the Space Venom. I think his design looks bad ass, the ML is great plus it can change to Flash Thompson. The prosthetic leg pieces really make it an all around win for me.

Edited by NerdyTrev

• 4 weeks later...

i think these would sell a lot better at hot topic or fye/suncoast than they do at walgreens. you've got tweens and teenagers frequenting these stores with money to burn. at walgreens, you have old people and mothers who are in a hurry to get in and out with their kids.

any word on when the blind bags will start hitting local shops?

8 hours ago, CortherX said:

i think these would sell a lot better at hot topic or fye/suncoast than they do at walgreens. you've got tweens and teenagers frequenting these stores with money to burn. at walgreens, you have old people and mothers who are in a hurry to get in and out with their kids.

any word on when the blind bags will start hitting local shops?

Is there a list of where they are going to be? I'm pretty thirsty for this. The worst part is I just want a Gwen hair showing hood so I am one step closer to my Magik Graduation costume (even if it is the white version and I prefer red)

magik-bigcostume3.jpg

Edited by thereasonsy

43 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

Just to be clear and prevent any misinformation, these are only supposed to be at direct market/comic stores (or similar online outlets). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. A huge portion of this thread was lost in The Great Update, part of which I recall Zach indicating this was specialty only. (A great deal of pissing and moaning about blind bags was lost as well.) So no mass market retailers like TRU or Kmart.

2 hours ago, bilbofett said:

That's what I thought,  luke and other online retailers are carrying them. I thought that's why everyone was griping in the first place. About having to buy a whole box just to get rarer mates.

LOL that's every wave Mate! But relaly in this instance it will be worse and without an Army Builder. I'd happily order the case if it was say SHIELD Female/Male Agent mixes. 

18 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

lol if my local Hot Topic or FYE stocks these it wouldn't be so bad, but I highly doubt it when my Walgreens can't even get past 1.5 of the animated series.

But Walgreens got wave one in like a tidal wave. This is the first blind bag series so I'd expect it to hit hard also 

7 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Is there a list of where they are going to be? I'm pretty thirsty for this. The worst part is I just want a Gwen hair showing hood so I am one step closer to my Magik Graduation costume (even if it is the white version and I prefer red)

magik-bigcostume3.jpg

Can you share the recipe you're planning?

"a great deal of pissing and moaning" he says. like 35 pages worth!

i've never shopped for blind bags, and when i worked at barnes and noble and kids would buy different types, i thought "why the hell would anyone do this? thank goodness my minimates don't!" also kind of why i think they'd sell better at hot topic or suncoast/fye. just more kids with money to burn.

anyway, i'm gonna feel these out, like literally i hope. other blind bags i've seen at one of my lcs are all on a table in the center of the store, so fingers crossed i can figure out who's who before i start throwing my money at the guy behind the counter.

My main gripe about these blind bags is that most of us won't even have a CHANCE to fail at finding what we want. I'm sorry but the brick and mortar comic store is an antiquated business model. Most people these days rely on online retailers for "specific" collectibles like this. No comic book stores within at least a 100 mile radius of me carry Minimates. There needs to be pre-order interest before they stock anything like action figures, busts, vinyl banks, Batman toilet seat covers, etc.

So throwing rarity of the case packing on top of just rarity, PERIOD, creates a no-win situation for collectors.

I have a few K-Marts in my area. I have a couple TRU's, and a million Walgreens. Pretty sure there's at least two Hot Topics within 100 miles. I think that covers all of the exclusive brick and mortar retailers. If my TRU gets exclusives and I miss out, then that's on me. Same with the other retailers. Which goes back to what I said, I don't mind if I fail but I need to at least be given that option. I appreciate what MisterMiracle is doing with the Silk waiting list but I see how many people want the exclusives and I don't know, demand looks like it's far going to exceed supply because I don't see where all these extras are going to come from. As bad as the KMart/Hot Topic blind bag situations were, I guarantee the vast majority of us have several more of those retailers than we do comic stores.

I can try to convince my comic store to carry them, but they won't risk it unless I pre-order the case. Understandable, but if I'm doing that then why not just buy a case directly from Luke? It's just....bad. I don't think it's out of line to wish failure on this experiment. It's not like we're asking for Minimates to go out of business.

What we've always heard from DST (and I've heard this from both Zach and Chuck personally) is that retailers have been requesting blind bags.  Obviously, they think they work as impuse items, though I don't really know if that's the case in practice.  I think it's a disaster for online retailers; if you go to the LTS thread, you can see Luke pretty much confirm that.  And he's certainly going to be forced to sell Silk at a premium price, not so that he can make a profit but so that he can break even from all those duplicates that are going to go unsold.

Let's assume DST wants BAM!'s business.

BAM! stocks many blind-packaged collectibles.

However, BAM! already stocks Funko's Marvel Mystery Minis at $6.99.

They already stock Monogram's Marvel Collector Keychain Mystery Packs at $5.99.

Does BAM! really think that DST's Marvel Minimates would be distinguishable from those other blind-bagged Marvel minifigures at the same retail price point? Will they be dumping one of those other Marvel SKUs in favor of Marvel Minimates?