UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel NOW! Minimates Blind Bag Series

youbastards

These look nice, and I hope they sell well.  I personally don't have any interest in any of these outside of Silk, and I really don't have enough interest in her to go out of my way to get her or pay scalper prices.  If I come across a box of these I'll feel around for her, but that's about it.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, spidermatt said:

I believe Old Man Logan is wearin his outfit where he fought and killed the Hulk, in the Old Man Logan series.

I assume you mean when he fought Chulk in his current series instead of the climax of the original, however, all the art I can find of him shows him in his ANAD jacket (which DST technically hasn't made).

10 minutes ago, hellpop said:

Just wanted to say Amadeus Cho is the worst character in the Marvel Universe.  Carry on talking about the blind bag series.

I just don't like the push of replacing flagships with younger and younger characters. It's forced and it reeks of the MCU dripping into comics to find replacements. Don't get me wrong I like the MCU but it's becoming detrimental to comics with people crying to change and replace characters who don't even buy comics or go see movies 3+ times like some of us do. 

The idea of these younger and younger genius kids is getting ridiculous too. Cho? Moon girl? Iron Heart? What made smart characters like Reed, and Parker cool to me is that they worked for their intelligence and were relatable. Peter had to go to high school and was ostracized much like What happens in real life. Now we have "oh this 10-16 year old totally already has all these degrees and is super smart!" There's no build up, no way to relate, or no work for it. It's cool that they're trying to have cool role models and show being smart is cool I guess? And Sure there are rare cases that happen and Cho fits into that stereotype of Asian kid prodigy but it now we have like 3 kids that seem to just be carbon copies of that in my eyes lol and the background just seems like a way to force them into the flagship roles (for iron heart and cho hulk at least) Once again with Peter it always had that awesome dichotomy of his intelligence Vs. how often he was actually able to even get to class or study. I don't know maybe it'll get there since spidey has had a long time to develop but that's just why I don't like it. New Thor, Miles, and Sam are organic while these are just forced. 

Personally speaking, I don't hate Cho. He had a niche, and he never was the uber-smartest. He was a smart kid in the vein of Parker that did cool things alongside Hercules. He was a good sport. But the new crop truly is awful. Miss America Chavez is da absolute bezt when it comes to cosmic stuff, and can shut down anybody yo! The new Wasp is the super-genius daughter of Hank Pym that's like, a super-super-genius! Riri like, created a better armor than the Mark I in her garage. At age 15! And Tony was so impressed, he made her his protegee! After meeting her for, like, 5 minutes, or so? And then he dragged her into a war with actual super-people 'cause reasons? And last but not least, there's Moon Girl, who, for the past 4 months, has been advertising that she's the smartest person on earth, and that your old favourites can eat their hearts out! That's in the solicits, that's how they sell the book, that's what's in the book. It's just her saying she's da smartest, and other people coming in and saying "you're da smartest" and then the solicit for the next issue saying "she's da smartest".

And the thing is, it's just a case of one writer trying to one up the other. Back in the day, Stark had to make new suits every few months with a new gimmick to be considered a genius. Reed had to discover a new dimension. And all of them were grown ass men with resources and experience. Now, they solve intedimensional equations on the 6th plane of Hell, while having a mental fight with an imp from the 7th borderland, which will help them create an armor that will survive the death of the Omniverse (?!?!?). And for kids to keep up, now they have to be able to breach into other realities and create AIs at their garages before they go to college. So this creates an endless cycle of "my dad's meaner than yours", which destroys storytelling. 

Back in the day, you'd open a book, and you'd get a story that'd be self-contained, would feature a core cast and would give equal focus to the characters and the action. Now, it's just a way for Marvel to launch their new MCU movie while proving how progressive they are. They launched "Occupy Avengers" for God's sake! Which is essentially a "reprint" of Green Lantern/Green Arrow. The Waid Avengers vol was filled to the brim with bystanders going "y'all ain't m' Av'ng'rs" and Sam and Jane going "yeah, well you're a racist crybaby". The fact that they printed an issue, where Laura AKA X-23 talks to Doctor Strange about guys on the internet complaining about her being Wolverine (wink meta wink wink XDDD ya get it?!!1!!), is the moment Marvel Comics became nothing more than an ad company. Their strategy is: Mega-Event -> Relaunch -> Small-Event -> Line-Wide-Event/Mega-Event -> Character-Event -> Relaunch. Rise and repeat...

Edited by Kostisfire

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I just don't like the push of replacing flagships with younger and younger characters. It's forced and it reeks of the MCU dripping into comics to find replacements. Don't get me wrong I like the MCU but it's becoming detrimental to comics with people crying to change and replace characters who don't even buy comics or go see movies 3+ times like some of us do. 

The idea of these younger and younger genius kids is getting ridiculous too. Cho? Moon girl? Iron Heart? What made smart characters like Reed, and Parker cool to me is that they worked for their intelligence and were relatable. Peter had to go to high school and was ostracized much like What happens in real life. Now we have "oh this 10-16 year old totally already has all these degrees and is super smart!" There's no build up, no way to relate, or no work for it. It's cool that they're trying to have cool role models and show being smart is cool I guess? And Sure there are rare cases that happen and Cho fits into that stereotype of Asian kid prodigy but it now we have like 3 kids that seem to just be carbon copies of that in my eyes lol and the background just seems like a way to force them into the flagship roles (for iron heart and cho hulk at least) Once again with Peter it always had that awesome dichotomy of his intelligence Vs. how often he was actually able to even get to class or study. I don't know maybe it'll get there since spidey has had a long time to develop but that's just why I don't like it. New Thor, Miles, and Sam are organic while these are just forced. 

This is just what happened to the industry during the Silver Age. A new Green Lantern, A new Flash, etc. When you have a continuing story you have to do something in order to mark passage of time but also to give new readers a jumping on point. As for their ages, it is because they are trying to get younger readers. Comics as an industry is a niche market and it is getting harder and harder to get into the habit these days due to price, competing entertainment and return on fun. I will say this. I was SPOILED growing up. I was very lucky to have two older brothers that were also into comics so we would pool our allowances and between the three of us we were able to get the majority of the Big 2 titles. Even looking back thinking I got 20 bucks a week for comics is insane. Now as a kid $20 gets you three issues maybe. Or in two weeks you'd be able to buy a video game. This is the state of the industry and there isn't much else to do about it. Many collectors are even getting pushed out of the hobby because of the price point. Over all the points you are making are extremely valid. I agree to why they are doing it BUT it doesn't mean I have to like it.

12 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Good points Kostis and reasony! I hope we're not clogging up this thread haha. I enjoy talking about this though. 

Anyone else wish the blind bags were just like the characters on bag? Not new rare ones lol. 

Well, on one hand I was hoping for new characters, and was pretty angry at the selection when it was first announced, but I kinda see the point. Personally, I wouldn't have gone with another Miles, Gwen, OMl and the like, but instead, I would've bypassed the rare figs (if your goal is to appeal to the average consumer, why put an exclusive and hard to find character in there) and gone with:

-Chulk (ANAD Hulk)

-Steve Rogers (ANAD/NOW! Captain America)

-Iron Man (ANAD)

-Spider-Man (ANAD)

-Doctor Strange (ANAD)

-Black Panther (ANAD)

-Scarlet Witch (ANAD)

-Wolverine (X-23 ANAD)

That way, you attract the kids with flashy costumes of the main names, and the more hardcores fans aren't really missing on anything, because they're just costume changes.

46 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Well, on one hand I was hoping for new characters, and was pretty angry at the selection when it was first announced, but I kinda see the point. Personally, I wouldn't have gone with another Miles, Gwen, OMl and the like, but instead, I would've bypassed the rare figs (if your goal is to appeal to the average consumer, why put an exclusive and hard to find character in there) and gone with:

-Chulk (ANAD Hulk)

-Steve Rogers (ANAD/NOW! Captain America)

-Iron Man (ANAD)

-Spider-Man (ANAD)

-Doctor Strange (ANAD)

-Black Panther (ANAD)

-Scarlet Witch (ANAD)

-Wolverine (X-23 ANAD)

That way, you attract the kids with flashy costumes of the main names, and the more hardcores fans aren't really missing on anything, because they're just costume changes.

That's a good list, but personally I would have kept the Venom we got over Scarlet Witch.

1 minute ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

It is a good look, but I haven't really seen the book promoted very much, unlike the others on your list.

Eh, she's a major MCU player, the costume is nice, and her book is one of thefew that hasn't been cancelled (it will be soon though, sales have been under the 20k mark). Maybe you could've put Black Widow in her place, as she's got a new look as well.