UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel NOW! Minimates Blind Bag Series

youbastards

I do not think the request has come from large chains like BAM, but rather from independent retailers. But then, I have not seen a list of who ordered it.

As far as online goes, obviously, it does not fit that model perfectly, but I always recommend Luke's for single Minimates, and given the for-now unique (Intl. Iron Man, Agent Venom, X-23 Wolverine, DP2099) or in-demand (Spider-Gwen) aspect of most of the figures in there, I hope he will be able to do some good business with them.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these are supposed to be marketed to the masses, and not towards collectors exclusively but for these to be released in this format because of retailer interest when there are no retailers near me that will probably stock them still stinks :/ 

Like if big chains haven't expressed interest and it's independent retailers than how the heck are we supposed to get our hands on these? I'm not a marketing guy so I mean it may make sense, but as a consumer who wants to buy your product it doesn't really add up to me :/

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

As far as online goes, obviously, it does not fit that model perfectly, but I always recommend Luke's for single Minimates, and given the for-now unique (Intl. Iron Man, Agent Venom, X-23 Wolverine, DP2099) or in-demand (Spider-Gwen) aspect of most of the figures in there, I hope he will be able to do some good business with them.

Fun Fact:  I've NEVER been able to buy any of the blind bag singles that I want from Luke's because they are out of stock almost immediately after they go up for sale. 

Edited by MisterMiracle

On 9/7/2016 at 4:47 PM, The Scarlet Spider said:

Can you share the recipe you're planning?

So far I got the idea but not the mechanics. Storm Arms from the 90's since I doubt we will get a tunic with a white chest piece, a White Queen AVX cape, and Zen Pool Loin Cloth. and then boots.

7 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I know these are supposed to be marketed to the masses, and not towards collectors exclusively but for these to be released in this format because of retailer interest when there are no retailers near me that will probably stock them still stinks :/ 

Like if big chains haven't expressed interest and it's independent retailers than how the heck are we supposed to get our hands on these? I'm not a marketing guy so I mean it may make sense, but as a consumer who wants to buy your product it doesn't really add up to me :/

These were not designed for the mass market. The waves we design for TRU are designed for the mass market: mainstream characters in classic looks, for the most part. THIS is a specialty wave, with the latest comic book looks and variations on top- and mid-level characters, and it's for comic fans, casual fans and, yes, collectors who shop at specialty stores -- the specialty stores that would prefer to stock blind bags. I guess technically it falls under marketing -- getting Minimates in front of new customers and showing retailers that there is interest -- but really it's sales. Customers that were not buying two-packs are now buying -- wholesale and, if all goes to plan, at retail.

Access to the line should be the same as any assortment. If they were exclusive to a big chain, you would only be able to get them one way. But since these will be sold to any store that wants to order them, you can go through your local shop or an online reseller, ordering a case at any time, or buy singles from any online retailer who chooses to go that route. Obviously, we hoped that our regular brick-and-mortar 2-pack retailers would also choose to stock them, and while I've heard tell on this forum of one store that chose not to, I have not heard more than that.

Hopefully there is a net gain in the number of retailers carrying it -- that was the main goal, increasing the number of stores carrying Minimates -- but no store will choose to order anything in unless it knows there is interest, so let them know every chance you get that you want to shop there. If they can't or won't roll the dice on a display, and you don't want to buy a case through them, there's always Luke.

And it looks like we've sold a lot of them, so hopefully the one-per-cases will not be so hard to find. They will be more plentiful than other one-per-case characters we have done lately.

3 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

Fun Fact:  I've NEVER been able to buy any of the blind bag singles that I want from Luke's because they are out of stock almost immediately after they go up for sale. 

I assume you mean one-per-cases, and that certainly makes sense. Luke gets in a finite amount of blind cases, and only chooses to split up a small subsection. But there are different ways to get access to them, if he is tapped. Finding someone to split a case with is one way. I'm sure there are collectors who are wiling to forego the one-per-case. The Silk list is a great idea, maybe a second list of people who don;t want Silk and might want to split a case would be a good idea. It's a big board.

Edited by DSTZach

9 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I'm still interested to hear what the case packout is, besides one per case Silk.

Same here. I don't care what order they're in. I'm just wondering how many of each will be in there. Might help people who are looking to split a case, y'know?

3 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Same here. I don't care what order they're in. I'm just wondering how many of each will be in there. Might help people who are looking to split a case, y'know?

Yeah, that's my thinking too. My LCS should be getting these, so the number of people I can help with this depends on the number of each character.

For what it's worth, I know Chuck has never been a fan of blind bags. Knowing that, I read his replies in the latest Ask DST and couldn't help noting a great deal of reluctance to finally give in to his Sales crew and offer this one assortment of what has to be their most popular Minimates property.

Having worked with retailers myself, I get it. I have no problem with the lower price point. I just like to know what I'm buying. If the "Best of" and "Greatest Hits" assortments are supposed to be gateway drugs to this plastic crack at specialty shops, why not offer them as singles in window bags? 

Hopefully there's another, better way to push the Minimates brand into more stores.

On 9/9/2016 at 0:57 AM, DSTZach said:

I assume you mean one-per-cases, and that certainly makes sense.

It's a big board.

Most of them are the one-per-case figures but there have been others that also sold out quick that weren't one-per-case figures.

It is a big board but that doesn't always mean that other people can help out.  I've been asking for help with Series 4 & 5 of the TMNT blind bag stuff for about 2 months now in 4 different forums/groups with a grand total of zero offers.

I'm still holding out hope that The Silk list that I put together a while back helps people out on here that just want Silk.

By the way...that Silk list is in the middle of Page 2 in this thread.  I started it up back in July but I haven't seen a whole lot of people saying they want their names added to it.  If you want Silk and think you'll have a hard time tracking one down on your own, let me know by posting a message on here and I'll add you to the list.

Edited by MisterMiracle

There are two or three of each character besides Silk. So everyone who buys a case will have a full set (8) a second set minus Silk (7), plus one extra of a few characters (3).

Not sure which non-rare characters you're looking for, I've only seen you asking for the One-per-cases on Technodrome, but if Luke is out of them, you may need to look elsewhere. Someone, somewhere, has a duplicate and wants to sell/trade, whether they got them by chance (people are more likely to get a dupe of a non-rare) or they got a case and want to get rid of the extras.

Edited by DSTZach

3 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

By the way...that Silk list is in the middle of Page 2 in this thread.  I started it up back in July but I haven't seen a whole lot of people saying they want their names added to it.  If you want Silk and think you'll have a hard time tracking one down on your own, let me know by posting a message on here and I'll add you to the list.

Would it be possible to be added to this list please

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Not sure which non-rare characters you're looking for, I've only seen you asking for the One-per-cases on Technodrome, but if Luke is out of them, you may need to look elsewhere. Someone, somewhere, has a duplicate and wants to sell/trade, whether they got them by chance (people are more likely to get a dupe of a non-rare) or they got a case and want to get rid of the extras.

I've been asking for help on here, on Technodrome, and on the two Facebook Minimates groups.  Nada.

Those TMNT ones are one-per-case but some of the blind bag Predator stuff wasn't.

I was at one of the local malls Saturday and stopped into Hot Topic.  They had NO Minimates at all, but a ton of blind bag stuff.  The high school kid working there said they must have sold out of them.  I also stopped into a toy and game store in the same mall and they had a ton of TMNT and NBX blind bags.  They also had a bunch of TWD 2 packs.

marvel_blind_bags.jpg

I guess these characters will be more easily recognized in comic shops than anywhere else but this is not the kind of character selection I'm seeing in other Marvel blind bags. Usually it's characters like Spidey and the Avengers either in their movie costumes or in their classic suits, what DST offered in the Greatest Hits assortments.

I was in Party City over the weekend and even they carry blind-packaged Marvel collectibles. But it's not nearly as obscure as this. If DST Sales is really looking to grab a larger marketshare outside of comic shops, I doubt this character selection will do the trick. 

I was really surprised when they announced this wave that they didn't go the Greatest Hits route.  But, since they are trying to appeal to comics shops (both customers and store owners) I can see them preferring the flavor of the month route.  Personally, Silke is the only one I'm even remotely interested in, so I'm not too unhappy to not have to worry about these.