UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 69 - Multiverse Wishlist/Classic

Gmonkey2k

I chose that roster of WCA based off of the characters that we hadn't seen in a long time. An ionic Wonder Man would be cool, but would also be a nice variant to be paired with an army builder in a regular Avengers set. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the under siege and wca vs wrecking crew waves would be great and better than the kooky quartet (did I really call them the "quirky" quartet yesterday!?) but I was just trying to throw in some examples of possible full avengers teams that could anchor waves against villains from their era, and bearing in mind that we got enchantress in wave 69 and we have zemo, it would have been quite easy to round out the original masters with executioner, melter and first appearance wonderman.  Plus the quartet wanda and quicksilver would be nice. 

Speaking of wonderman I agree that if we got the wca an ionic version of him would be great.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:37 PM, bigvis497 said:

I'm happy with both Blizzards. New characters are new characters and I love the lesser knowns.

Yep, same here. Regardless of  whether they were the perceived best choice or not every character in this assortment filled a gap in my collection. For me, that's a huge win.

I'd like to see another Avengers wave like this with never been dones. Give me a FA Wonder Man, Moondragon, Whizzer, Hellcat, Two Gun Kid, Dr Druid... whoever. Same with the Avengers villains. The only redos i'd care to see are figures from box sets like Beast, Herc, Black Widow and Captain Marvel. And honestly, i'd prefer them to be straight up reissues. They were fantastic the first time around.

For my collecting habits I don't need a theme for a wave, I love the randomness and just want to keep adding characters. 

15 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

Yep, same here. Regardless of  whether they were the perceived best choice or not every character in this assortment filled a gap in my collection. For me, that's a huge win.

I'd like to see another Avengers wave like this with never been dones. Give me a FA Wonder Man, Moondragon, Whizzer, Hellcat, Two Gun Kid, Dr Druid... whoever. Same with the Avengers villains. The only redos i'd care to see are figures from box sets like Beast, Herc, Black Widow and Captain Marvel. And honestly, i'd prefer them to be straight up reissues. They were fantastic the first time around.

For my collecting habits I don't need a theme for a wave, I love the randomness and just want to keep adding characters. 

To me, waves add in a certain nostalgia and frames the narrative for collectors and shockingly kids that play with their figures. I think part of the challenge of X-Men V Avengers comparisons is their publication history. You are comparing one of the largest franchises of the 80's until arguably 2004 to the Avengers that are just now really getting their moment in the sun (and partially by adding in X-Men characters into the stable) in addition to the movies. Back in my day, Beast was the only crossover X-Man. Now we have Storm, Wolverine,  Rogue, Deadpool, Havok, Cable, Firestar, Namor, Cannonball, Sunspot, yadda yadda carrying the banner.

I think a storyline like Avengers Forever is a great way of getting out the mixture of characters in a way that is themed since that story featured every Avenger that ever lived in every costume as long as you tied in a few of the core 7 that carried it like Captain Marvel Jr.

6 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I think part of the challenge of X-Men V Avengers comparisons is their publication history. You are comparing one of the largest franchises of the 80's until arguably 2004 to the Avengers that are just now really getting their moment in the sun (and partially by adding in X-Men characters into the stable) in addition to the movies. Back in my day, Beast was the only crossover X-Man.

I'd say Avengers were the main Marvel franchise in at least the 70's until the X-Men took over in the 80's. I can't speak to how they're doing now as there are too many versions of the team. I wouldn't know which one to pick up. Also, as you mentioned,  soooo many characters have now crossed over and been members.

I fondly remember when Beast was the only one. Good times.

7 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I think a storyline like Avengers Forever is a great way of getting out the mixture of characters in a way that is themed since that story featured every Avenger that ever lived in every costume as long as you tied in a few of the core 7 that carried it like Captain Marvel Jr.

Well now, Avengers Forever is a whole new ballgame. That's a theme I'd really get behind. Good choice, I have nothing to counter that except sign me up!

That's one of my favorite Avengers storylines and I loved Pacheco's art. ?

I think the hardest part about identifying key Avengers rosters is that Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor are most often present and USUALLY in reasonably similar raiments. With the X-Men, rosters change DRAMATICALLY, and even when characters overlap, they've usually undergone a costume change, so you can more easily justify another Cyclops or Shadowcat due to a new unique look

A clever accessory or upgraded parts could make new versions of any of the big guns worthwhile. Thor from Wave 44 with the better cape and spinning hammer accessory is a perfect example, and DST hasn't even used those parts to make a classic Thor (yes, that's easy enough to put together yourself if you want). It's not the same as a new look but repeats can still be provide enough value to be worth purchasing.