UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 69 - Multiverse Wishlist/Classic

Gmonkey2k

avengers disassembled and new avengers were the first time i read any of the characters, tho i'd been reading x-men a good 15 years before that. i initially really liked his run on the avengers book, and was reading all of them by the time the Heroic Age rolled around. after that, i started getting very bored with his Avenger and dropped it. i thought he might bring some good things to the x-men, but his run to me was terrible and i couldn't finish it. never bothered with gotg, tho i have the first "complete" volume of Abnett's run (which i've yet to read). i'm taking a break from books right now, but i may pick up the new gotg run, pending reviews, when i do a 50% off dash.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, stegron01 said:

I really liked his original run on Alias and his Dark Avengers

Back on topic I finally got this wave today (thanks to international shipping and Christmas post!) and I have to say, as expected, it's my favourite wave in years! 

Also back on the topic, I started making a list of all of the Toybiz figures that haven't been turned into minimates and gave up. Looking at the list though, it's impressive to see how much HAS been made by DST.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:15 PM, OvenproofBug6 said:

Seriously, what's so bad about Bendis?! I've read the entirety of the Miles Morales run on Ultimate Spider-Man, All-New X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men, and I really enjoyed them all! Is his writing just an acquired taste??

Reveal hidden contents

Bendis is fine in theory.  He has fantastic ideas, generally great characterization, and has a real knack for 'real' moments.  Where he fails is in execution.  

For example, look at Age of Ultron, his big world-ending, time-breaking epic that was a solid three years in the making.  After seeding hints about Ultron in his Heroic Age Avengers run and a mystery around an Ultron head in Moon Knight, the big "This is the Ultron Story to end all Ultron Stories" never featured the title character and instead focused on Wolverine's time traveling adventures.  He spent so much time taking in the awe of whatever he was trying to do, he forgot to write a compelling story around it.  Worse, he totally squandered a fantastic idea for an awesome Ultron Story.

And stuff like that happens in all of his work:  Secret Invasion spent 5 issues with the characters wallowing around the Savage Land instead of them repelling a Skrull Invasion; House of M would rather spend three pages 'burning out the universe' than showing us the the struggle to set it right; And so on.

That is, IMO, what's so bad about Bendis.  

Back on Topic, I'm really excited for this wave to show up from Luke's. It's so refreshing to see a wave that is both comic focused and features new characters; hopefully there will be more of that in the future.

Bendis is a man past his prime who peaked with Daredevil and Alias, and has been trying to recapture the same lightning in a bottle for years now. But instead of evolving as a writer, he simply follows the same pattern, no matter the character. As for his "ideas", at least as of recent, I disagree. Making the Symbiotes a race of peace-keeping aliens called the Klyntar is a nice idea? Following up on the Stark adoption story while ignoring Arno, only to reveal that his real parents were SHIELD Agents is a fresh concept? Having Doom's reason for going straight be "I was God, and then I got bored, and I like, always looked up on Stark" is a cool twist? They're all bland and uninspired, at least IMO.

Hell, don't even mention continuity. Eternity has been in chains, for a long time now, but Da Bendis doesn't care! Eternity is all free at the end of CWII. In a stupid retcon, Howard and Maria adopted Tony as a mask for their genetically engineered alien son. Bendis ignored everything about it, and just made Maria not be able to carry a child. Like, why would you even continue this awful story if you're gonna change it again yourself?! He's also ressurecting Triumph and Torment for God's sake! Why? Why on Earth do that?!

But all that pale in comparison to the decompression. He wrote a "Venom Planet" story, where two of the three issues are spent inside the ship, with the symbiote jumping from Guardian to Guardian, ending with the BS retcon. He wrote an Iron Man run in which nothing happened. Literally. Doom shows up, for some reason he still hasn't explained, they take down Masque, Tony dresses up like James Franco and then... that's it. Oh yeah, we got the Invincible Bendis Pet and Doctor Doom: Killing Time Edition books out of it...

Not to mention the mischaracterization. He's got Doom spouting lines like "Something Something Clobbering". He's got Thing going around destroying old Latverian vases and works of art, 'cause he's mad. He turned Cynthia Von Doom into a "sexy dominatrix witch". He made Rocket's new catchphrase "Blam! Murdered you!". He turned Star-Lord into a man-child instead of the competent cosmic hero he was. 

Bendis is a man past his prime who should just take a break and not deviate from street-level stuff. He just can't write anything past "snarky" to save his life these days. 

Edited by Kostisfire

20 minutes ago, callsign_morlock said:

pretty sure this is the work of bendis.  yikes.

thanos-return.jpg

Yeah, that was from Avengers Assemble. It was the first of the "Let's make Thanos extremely visible again, to the point of oversaturation" stories after The Avengers flick.

The problem I have with Bendis is that every single character has the exact same voice, that of a snarky teenager as written by a man in his 40s. He's also really good at writing comics that have no payoff to their story arcs. And he has little to no respect for the work of previous writers on comics he's currently writing (see: Guardians of the Galaxy). 

Edited by suicidewatch

What were the ramifications of the story? Had anyone actually been replaced by a skrull for years? Did people find out their partner or best friend had been an impostor? I honestly don't feel like I'm aware of any lasting impact....

Dark Reign and Dark Avengers led to Siege, the follow-up event to Secret Invasion and the culmination of Normon Osborne's abuse of power.

Dark Avengers may be the last good book Bendis has written, but even that was built on groundwork paved by Warren Ellis. In comparison to that amazing Thunderbolts run, it's really a pale reflection, at the end of the day.

Edited by TheKrisLyons

Dark Reign wasn't so much an event as it was the status-quo of the time. the dark avengers books by bendis should all be easy enough to hunt down, and I also recommend looking for a trade paperback called "dark reign: the list", which collects a series of one shots that are mostly great. Otherwise,  punching in "marvel dark reign" at amazon.com should help you find other relevant titles that fell under the dark reign banner.

On 08/01/2017 at 10:26 PM, Nessex said:

What were the ramifications of the story? Had anyone actually been replaced by a skrull for years? Did people find out their partner or best friend had been an impostor? I honestly don't feel like I'm aware of any lasting impact....

Well, let's see. DeFlaco replaced Alicia Masters and that is how they erased the Torch's marriage via Skrull which was tied into this so I don't really consider this a Bendis only story.  As for your questions.

Ramifications - > it lead to Dark Reign and Osbourne's rise to power.

Anyone replaced for years? YUP Spider-Woman and Mokingbird being the most important. This is how they undid Mockingbird's ridiculous death.

Did people find out yadda? Yup. Hawkeye was the one that had the most to deal with this. This got the couple back together for a bit and then they took the story from there.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:49 AM, DSTZach said:

Because you were only supposed to get one. But to go back and run off a single fist from an old Thing tool takes time. If it doesn't matter which fist you get, running off both fists gets the number you need in half the time.

Has anyone received a left fist, (actual left, would be the right when looking at the figure straight on)? All of mine were right fists, and after asking a few people, it seems like that's what they received as well. I know Mattallica asked for a left, and I'm looking for a left as well after he has his.