UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Animated Marvel Minimates Wave 1.5

Zak Katz

It's a shame that the wave with a potential army builder in Coulson (two army builders if you count Ultron) was fairly hard to find.

I think it's a little early for the past tense.

Agree with Zach here, I was nervous up front that I wouldn't find these, but now I have the wave, and there are two walgreens near me that have them stocked. They will show delorean

• 5 months later...

I've been collecting since the first wave and happily purchase multiple sets as custom fodder. Blind bags will officially end my time as a collector. The entire notion is offensive.

Out of curiosity, how did you handle the Age of Ultron blind bags?

And you can check and see if customer service has a correct Crossbones head, no matter what packaging it comes in. Just send a photo.

Hi Zach,

I didn't purchase any of the AoU blind bags, or Ninja Turtles blind bags for that matter. With all due respect, I am not a gambler and I don't like spending money on items I don't want. Unless the entire wave is a must buy, then I can't see purchasing blind bags at all. In any given wave there are 'mates that I am less interested in (and I know I'm not alone in this). I am willing to spend on those figures because I at least I am guaranteed to get the figure it is packaged with. With blind bags, there is the possibility of getting stuck with unwanted mates and never finding the choice figures unless one spends nearly $100 on the entire box.

Mass Effect was another example. There were a few mates that I really wanted because they were visually appealing but found it frustrating when I got stuck with the same unwanted figures over and over (don't own the game so I don't know the names). When Game Stop reduced the price, I could justify spending until I found the figures I was looking for.

I will follow up with customer service about Crossbones. Thanks!

So blind bags has not kept you from being a collector of any line, you just did not buy the blind figures that were offered. Correct? You still buy Marvel? Non-bagged TMNT? Cheap Mass Effect, because a little gamble is okay? Just trying to gauge what is being said here.
I have every marvel wave from wave 1 (and speciality packs), all dc waves, the pirate waves, the fantasy waves, the femme fatale waves, and most of BSG and trek waves. Bought the mass effects 4-pack because I knew what I was getting and loved the look of the characters. Bought the turtles classic 4 pack but that's it.

I guess my major gripe is opening a blind bag with an item I have zero interest in and getting instant buyers remorse. Does not motivate me to plunk down another $5 and risk getting the same unwanted figure when I can pay $9.99 for a sure thing. I would rather pay for a pack with a known, specific character than run the risk of dropping increasing amounts of cash and being "surprised" with characters I don't want.

So you didn't buy the TMNT TRU two-packs? Because the TMNT blind bags exist? Or are you non-US?

I live in NYC. My local TRU has been very inconsistent in stocking minimates. The TRU TMNT figures overall were a little too cartoony for me (I was a fan of the original comic series) and the figures that I was interested in sold out online before I could pick them up.

My buying habits are as such: I focus mostly on comic book waves and box sets in addition to individual interesting figures. I thought the Pathfinder and Dragon Age series were brilliant. I enjoy that genre in general. I also liked the Star Trek mates, the Sony mates and the Kill Bill waves. Not a fan of Pulp Fiction so those were a pass. Same with NBX and BTTF. The Predator and the Aliens figures looked cool but not enough for me to buy them. Not into the Muppets or Sponge Bob at all. When I purchase 'mates, I generally buy custom cases so I know I am getting the mates that I want.

I'm on a tight toy budget so I want to make the most out of my purchases. For me, blind bags carry too much risk with less reward. Hence, while I thought the AoU set was great, the idea of getting multiples of the same figure while trying to complete the set irked me. Same with the TMNT. There were certain figures that I wanted but did not want to contend with the probability to wasting money on a figure in which I had no interest. I am ok with buying a less-interesting figure as part of a set as long as I can get the figure that I want. With blind bags, I may purchase 5 bags and still not finding the one that I looking for.

• 2 months later...

Recently had two sets of this wave pop up at a nearby Walgreens. Which was great, considering they previously only had Wave 1 and I'll take any excuse to stock up on Hulkbuster armors.

The down side is two other local Walgreens have rearranged their floor plans, and made their toy sections smaller, and now no longer stock Minimates. Has anyone else seen this happen at their Walgreens?

• 5 months later...

I always put a coffee mug full of water in the microwave for about 1 1/2-2 minutes, submerge the problematic piece in the heated water for around 30-60 seconds, then (carefully) remove it with pliers or other pinchy tool. that's typically enough time and heat to soften the plastics and/or loosen areas where paint may have been over applied, resulting in stuck parts or joints. 

I usually don't have a problem with getting stuck gloves off using a pair of pliers and lightly applying pressure all the way around the glove. But I've been unsuccessful with coulson even trying hair dryers and hot water. Pretty sure the lower arm and gloves are one piece bc they sure as hell don't come off