UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The "Ask Zach" Thread!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For kids' shows, I'd love to do Odd Squad, which a few of the KITH appeared on.

Potato!

agent-olaf.jpg

Then it's agreed. Diamond need to get the Odd Squad license.

I recommend the following for the first wave:

Agent Olive / Agent Otto

Mrs. O / Agent Oscar

Agent Obfusco / Odd Todd

Agent Olaf / Debbie (from Debbie's Pizzaria)

Thanks! Same scenes I was conerned about - including armless-but-not-harmless Walrus Man’s demise. We try to keep their movies as violence free as possible too. But sometimes even Disney movies sneak through some shock stuff I’ve forgotten about (I’m looking at you Atlantis!)

The only Disney movies my daughter has seen are Frozen and Mary Poppins. We also have concerns about women's roles, like the whole save-the-princess or find-a-true-love thing.

For what it's worth, my daughter is the same age and easily scared by movies (she was clinging to me during Paddington, for crying out loud), but had no problem at all with Star Wars. I think the fact that most of the violence isn't lingered over, and that there's not a lot in the way of threatened violence makes a big difference. Of course, we haven't let her see Episode Three yet.

I took my daughter to a movie a when she was a bit younger (maybe 4 or 5?), and it was Happy Feet 2, and there was a leopard seal attack. She asked to leave.

And anything that makes mainstream superhero comics more friendly for girls -- and also women -- is good with me. I'm fine with making outfits less skimpy, and making traditionally male characters female if there is a cool reason, although new female characters work, too. Curious to see what the content is like, and how the poseable, athletic, stand-able fashion dolls look. I like dolls, they're like big Megos, but I hate that I can never stand them up.

They were very Disney-centric until I introduced them to She-Ra, Jem and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, which led into Ultimate Spider-Man, now one of their favorites. I'm all about introducing them to strong female heroes.
Oh, and Eight Below had one of those nasty seals in it too - scared them AND me.

Have you ever...

Thought Bugs Bunny was attractive in drag?

Dated an ex's friend (or sister)?

Pretended you were your own twin?

Yes, no, no.

What's your best/most favorite convention moment 1) as a DST employee, and 2) of all time (so far)?

1. Any time I've had to go meet Kevin Smith somewhere and take a picture of him with the latest View Askew stuff is always an adventure. The man is a superstar, and busy as hell, but he's also the nicest guy.

2. I've only done maybe three panels that were not DST panels, including two panels on the toy industry, one at NYCC with Todd McFarlane and one this last year at SDCC. Those were pretty cool, but in 2009 there was a Twisted ToyFare Theatre reunion/reading at NYCC that was a lot of fun to be on. We also did a TTT signing at Wizard World Chicago one year, with Mego Spider-Man up there with us, but nobody really showed up for that.

Are you uncomfortable making # 2 in public restrooms? I, for one, am not. I understand it freaks people out. But, when you're away from your own toilet for 10 hours a day, you gotta make do (haha! Make doo!). Point, counter-point?

I do four- and five-day conventions, many with long hours, AND we share our NYC office restroom with others on that floor. It's a necessity.

They were very Disney-centric until I introduced them to She-Ra, Jem and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, which led into Ultimate Spider-Man, now one of their favorites. I'm all about introducing them to strong female heroes.

I should check out She-Ra and Jem! Don't think I ever watched them, really. Thanks for the idea!

Edited by DSTZach

I should probably put a disclaimer on this thread stating that my child-rearing techniques are largely unproven, as mine are still young, and may turn out bad. My daughter reads great, so having a lot of books in the house and few princess movies seems to have worked, but it may prove to be a bad idea in the long run, who knows. The Ask Shane thread should be the place for parenting advice.

What can I do to get a job at DST?

Doing what? It's a small team, each person often doing a couple different jobs, so new hires are rare. Recent hires include a couple of administrative assistants, Art Director Clayburn Moore and me, and I came on back in 2011. But DiamondComics.com posts all DCD and DST-related non-freelance jobs. Freelancers are often used for the creative side of things, but there are a few people working on Minimates now, so I'm not sure what they need. You can always send in a portfolio.

So which Supermqn villain, other than Brainiac, would you most like to see put into a live action film?

Not the biggest Superman fan, but I bet somebody out there could write a pretty funny Superman v. Bizarro movie. Not sure who.

Where did you go to school? What is your degree in, if you have one? No shame if you don't, of course.

Wesleyan University, in Middletown, CT. Studio Art, with some art history, literature and film studies thrown in.

Why are you so dreamy?

I'm a skinny, balding dude with a big nose and a nasal, monotone voice, so I will assume this is sarcasm.

The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Zach?

What's a tortoise?

What's your best/most favorite convention moment 1) as a DST employee, and 2) of all time (so far)?

It has to be at SDCC 2007 when I screamed "OOOOAAAATTTT!" as he was taking photographs, startling him quite a bit. He turned and gave me the stink eye. Oh wait, that's my favorite moment.

It has to be at SDCC 2007 when I screamed "OOOOAAAATTTT!" as he was taking photographs, startling him quite a bit. He turned and gave me the stink eye. Oh wait, that's my favorite moment.

Or when he met Rob. laugh.png

Or when he met Rob. laugh.png

Rob was probably with me. whistling.gif