UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

PJL80's amateur hour customs

pjl80

Hey everyone! If you're checking this thread out and reading my long ramblings, thank you! But I'll try and start us easy, and get right into my first (and possibly only?) major custom figure to try and bait the hook.

I'm a huge Marvel comics dork and the MCU has been the realization of all the things I ever wanted to see on the big screen. A long work night led to my first minimate purchase, and not too many months later, here we are. On top of collecting the main heroes, I found myself in a position of wanting a line-up of the villains, and I was disappointed by some of the offerings and omissions. More on this later. For now, I give you.....Kurse!

ExJDlC9h.jpg

sxMjBLJh.jpg

I'm realizing now that the pictures don't show it that well, but the eyes are actually *behind* the mask. I started with a Thundercats Mumm-Ra, and used the headpiece as my guide for building the mask itself. Like in the movie, I wanted there to be a face underneath the horns and tusks with strong blue eyes. I think the minimate is a little bulky, but he does loom over Thor in Thor: The Dark World. Overall, he came out a lot better than I expected from myself, as my arts and crafts resume is limited to school and childhood projects. I read some of the awesome threads here, watched Luke's videos where he made Awesome Android, and ordered myself some supplies. I can take more photos if anyone is interested, and I'll post the even more long-winded process post some other day. That will come with 4 more customs, all super simple and more of "modifying" 'mates via part swapping and a little paint.

Very good stuff. Did you make the mask removable? I'm always trying to make everything removable but it definitely makes things a little harder.

Thanks! And yes, the mask is removable, although I don't try to remove it very often for fear of breaking something. I have two spikes coming up his back like in the movie (which I'm now realizing I didn't take a picture of...) and I broke one off already. Super glued it back on, but now I'm nervous.

I started with this minimate: http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1740&n=Mumm-Ra+the+Ever-Living I cut off all of the appendages from the helmet and filled in the middle with apoxy, leaving space for the eye holes and forming it out before it fully solidified. One lesson learned would be to do more continuous testing of the helmet fitting through the process. I made sure it would fit back on a couple of times, but in my finished product I can see a fraction of an inch of his face under the bottom of his mask.

• 11 months later...

Reviving this thread.  Have some customs, mostly part swaps and paint, still to post.  I recently got done with creating my custom Agents of SHIELD (which I posted over on Facebook, so apologies if this looks familiar), and wanted to get them up here so I keep rolling with my expanded MCU.

The full group shot, with shady turncoat Ward.
14079752_801579821079_5982339987531124229_n.jpg

The original six!

14045979_801579851019_3839503109201127711_n.jpg

The newer additions, and man do I miss Hunter and Bobbi from the show.....  :(

14063833_801579895929_422845986265590222_n.jpg

Cool! I snagged an extra Agent 13 from Civil War to make my Agent May. So far she's the only agent I've got from this show aside from Coulson.

loose09.JPG

(Hail Ivan Luke's!)

I just gave her black pants and dark blue arms from other figures. Still no SHIELD patches on the shoulders but it's better than what DST has offered so far. ;) 

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Cool! I snagged an extra Agent 13 from Civil War to make my Agent May. So far she's the only agent I've got from this show aside from Coulson.

I just gave her black pants and dark blue arms from other figures. Still no SHIELD patches on the shoulders but it's better than what DST has offered so far. ;) 

That's a good idea!  I might do the same if my TRU ever gets this wave, I'd like her torso.  I ended up using the Brock Rumlow body and just pulling off his head.  It gives the SHIELD logo on the left shoulder, and the vest loosely matches the early promo shots of her.

ming-na-melinda-may-comic-con-agents-of-shield.jpg

2 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

That is a great idea for Hunter!

I still need to make my own Mack, Bobbi, Triplett, and even Izzy & Idaho.

Thanks!  I ended up drilling a hole in the Male Shepard head since he doesn't have a hair peg.  Then ended up using a dremel to really bring down the upper hair and took the sides and back off completely.  I'm mostly happy, I haven't found a face that I was 100% on, and tried a few others like the MCU Scott Lang face before I settled on this one.  The track jacket look matches his outfit (roughly again) when he was going undercover, snagged that from the ASM2 Rhino.