UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Does this qualify as "A-list?"

Lobsterman

Eh, it's not that big of a mistake. Greer Nelson did get her start as a super hero wearing the a version of the Hellcat costume (known simply as the Cat). Eventually Greer was mystically transformed into the legendary Cat Person champion we all know and love as Tigra. A copy of the Cat costume turned up years later and was used by Patsy Walker to become Hellcat. So there's some crossover and shared history there.

I like to tell them apart by remembering that Pasty was once married to the Son of Satan (making her Hellcat name more appropriate), and Tigra looks like a human tiger.

I'll be honest, I thought Hellcat and Tigra were the same person.

An that would be a good reason for a two pack. start lobbying your work mates.

back to the comic. Glad to see a Hellcat comic :)

Sad to see they have gone it looks like the cartoony humour funny way :(

I actual like Tigra, and wouldn't mind her as part of a A-Force pack.

Tigra actually got "more popular" when she showed up on Super Hero Squad. At least that is where I got interested in the character.

It was EXTREAMLY hard to write this without one of you guys turning it into a double entendre.

An that would be a good reason for a two pack. start lobbying your work mates.

back to the comic. Glad to see a Hellcat comic smile.png

Sad to see they have gone it looks like the cartoony humour funny way

Really getting back to her roots, though, since Patsy Walker starred for many years in a teen romance title before Steve Englehart decided it would be fun to roll her into the Marvel Universe and make her a superhero.

I like that Marvel is striving to reach the wider female audience that reads comics but stays away from superheroes because of the traditional portrayal of women in them. Doubt this will last more than a year, but good luck to them.

And speaking of the Red Wolf comic... why oh why did they revive the character and take away the coolest thing about him, his wolf's head mask? wallbash.gif

And speaking of the Red Wolf comic... why oh why did they revive the character and take away the coolest thing about him, his wolf's head mask? wallbash.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought for a second there was a slight chance we'd get one of those masks down the road.

That's what I was afraid of. I recall him being hired to design a line of DC Direct action figures years ago and not much came of it. He's one of the reasons I got back into comics in the 80s. But even at his peak his classic style would look out of place among the current crop of artists.

I grew up on a steady diet of characters who looked like their costumes were painted on. Prior to that, guys like Al Williamson dressed their characters in what looked like clingy, wet rayon. These days the fad seems to be canvas and leather.

While I appreciate all the styles, I'm not sure they all work with every character. I will say that Bruce Timm managed to do pretty much the entire DCU justice.

I'd put José Luís García-López in that category as well. There's a reason they keep coming back to him for style guide art.

Tom Derenick is a relatively young guy who's obviously been influenced by Davis, Neal Adams, and the like. Nice to see another generation taking up the mantle.

I'd put José Luís García-López in that category as well. There's a reason they keep coming back to him for style guide art.

Tom Derenick is a relatively young guy who's obviously been influenced by Davis, Neal Adams, and the like. Nice to see another generation taking up the mantle.

Derenick has been around a lot longer than you would think.

When did we start letting girls make comics?

hoping this is a horribly sexist joke and not your true meaning

not all comics are for you

sorry not sorry

Just lampooning the stereotype. You know, the same fellas who can't stand the thought of someone new trying on another character's tights.

Derenick has been around a lot longer than you would think.

A lot longer than others would think. ;) Hence my use of the word "relatively" when discussing guys like Adams and García-López.

I've been following Tom's work for 20 years. I know he's not new but he's definitely from a younger generation.

These days it seems hot artists are being plucked from the fashion industry. Which is fine. I'm all about variety but not everyone who can draw can tell a story. Sequential art is a different animal from cover art or poster illustration, for example.