UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alien 5 discussion thread

I'm interested to see how he manages to ignore Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection without "overwriting" them as he promised. Malfunctioning cryopods resulting in hypersleep nightmares seems to be the obvious way to go but I hope he comes up with something more clever than that.

As a huge fan of District 9 myself, I'm eager to see where he takes the franchise. I just read that his movie will have to wait 'til Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel hits, which makes sense, I suppose.

I heard that this movie might take place between Alien and Aliens. I don't see how that would work. Ripley was in stasis during that time, and to my knowledge, no one had any contact with any of the aliens between the events of Alien and Aliens.

I still haven't seen Alien3, Alien: Resurrection, or Prometheus. Are they any good?

Edited by MinnesotaIceman

twocents.gif

I think they all have their contributions. Alien3 tried really hard to get back to the horror/suspense roots of the original while Resurrection gave us Joss Whedon's prototype of the crew of the Serenity from Firefly. I enjoyed Prometheus but as with so many projects written by Damon Lindelof, it probably raised more questions than it answered. I wouldn't say they're required viewing, especially if this fifth movie ignores them, but I thought they were okay.

Haven't heard anything about the next film taking place between the first two. That would be odd given the ages of the performers involved.

Set after the first four films a Ripley clone, created from samples taken before at the beginning of Aliens, then wake the clone in a recreation of the escape pod. Let the clone believe that her memory loss is due to an extraordinarily long hyper sleep. Do a quick explanation of the destruction of LV-428 and other Alien related incursions and then get into whatever the main plot is of the new film.

Everything fits and is wrapped up for the audience but Ripley would have no knowledge of her involvement in the later events.

twocents.gif

I think they all have their contributions. Alien3 tried really hard to get back to the horror/suspense roots of the original while Resurrection gave us Joss Whedon's prototype of the crew of the Serenity from Firefly. I enjoyed Prometheus but as with so many projects written by Damon Lindelof, it probably raised more questions than it answered. I wouldn't say they're required viewing, especially if this fifth movie ignores them, but I thought they were okay.

Haven't heard anything about the next film taking place between the first two. That would be odd given the ages of the performers involved.

I've heard mixed things about Alien3. I looked at the message boards on IMDB, and I don't think I've ever seen a more polarizing movie. Everyone seems to either love it or hate it. On the other hand, I have heard very positive things about the Assembly Cut. Whereas the theatrical release received mediocre reviews, the Assembly Cut was much better received. I'd like to see it at some point if I have the chance. Most of the people who hate it do so because they were (understandably) upset that

Hicks and Newt were killed at the beginning

. I can understand and appreciate their anger, but I would still like to see the movie myself and judge the rest of it on its own merits.

As for the next film taking place between the first two, that seems to be pure conjecture on one person's part. Blomkamp just said he wants his movie to be connected to the first two; the author of this article seemed to misinterpret Blomkamp's statement to mean that it will take place between Alien and Aliens, even though Blomkamp said no such thing.

Originally, Alien3 was set in a monastery. Ultimately they felt a group of convicts who'd found religion was more of an additional threat than a temple full of unarmed monks. Either way, the tone of the movie definitely came closer to the original. I totally understand fan reaction to the cast changes but I also understand why those changes were made.

Recasting Newt and having that little girl in the company of rapists and murderers would have been an even bigger distraction to the titular threat. Even her original autopsy scene was deemed too much by the filmmaker and was abbreviated.

I'd still recommend seeing it for yourself. I thought it did a decent job of wrapping up Ripley's story, although it certainly wasn't warm and fuzzy.

Resurrection seemed to borrow some material from Dark Horse's comics. I liked the new characters but the absolute worst part was the hybrid xenomorph. Talk about ill-conceived in every sense of the word.

Both of the sequels have interesting ideas in them, so I'd say watch them but go in with your expectations kinda low because they're both a bit of a mess, from what I can remember 3 especially had a lot of studio interference, and was two different scripts mashed together. A lot of the Alien 3 hatred was over your spoiler, and Cameron even trashed the movie publicly back then by saying that that was a personal insult to him, which is dumb. Fincher himself has said he hates how it turned out, and Whedon has said he didn't like what the director did with his script for 4. I think they're both interesting though.

Some of the characters in Prometheus make very stupid decisions, like teenager in a horror movie stupid, but if you can look past that it's pretty good. As I understand it Lindelof just did a rewrite, mostly to get rid of sections that Scott thought were too Alien-y, and any unresolved stuff is meant to lead into the upcoming sequel.

I hope Blomkamp is just talking about inspiration, and ends up doing his own thing more than worrying about tying it into the first two perfectly, I mean it's that kind of thinking that got us Superman Returns.

Three was a total change in the wrong direction from 2 and was hard to watch. I didnt care about almost all the prisoners in that movie. I cared about everyone in the 1st 2 movies. Resurrection started off dumb but had some interesting stuff and it ended up being better than 3 I think, but I recently read how fox interferred with the film and altered a ton of what joss whedon was going to do, including a new bad ass scary alien and a final battle on earth.

I will say the original trailers for District 9 that me and my friends saw promised us one movie, and when we saw it in theaters, we got another that I just didn't enjoy, partially because I felt like I was tricked into seeing a movie that wasn't portrayed in the trailers and partly because I didn't like the final product.

I also saw chappie this year, which, I thought would be a cool movie about an AI robot doing cop stuff, and in reality I spent money to go watch a robot with a childs mind get kidnapped and raise by white trash/the directors buddies. It also happened to follow the same formula of District 9 with the same impoverished setting.

So I am excied for another alien movie that could potentially get rid of aliens3 and resurrection, but based on his record (Ive heard elysium was crap too) I cant get my hopes up here.

Both of the sequels have interesting ideas in them, so I'd say watch them but go in with your expectations kinda low because they're both a bit of a mess, from what I can remember 3 especially had a lot of studio interference, and was two different scripts mashed together. A lot of the Alien 3 hatred was over your spoiler, and Cameron even trashed the movie publicly back then by saying that that was a personal insult to him, which is dumb. Fincher himself has said he hates how it turned out, and Whedon has said he didn't like what the director did with his script for 4. I think they're both interesting though.

Cameron was offered the chance to direct an Aliens sequel but passed saying something like, "I only follow up after Ridley Scott. Get him to do this one and I'll do Alien 4."

Ha ha.

dry.png

Whedon's biggest issue on Resurrection was casting, I believe. He wrote certain characters so that they'd either be neutral or sympathetic only to have their true colors shown as the story unfolds. Unfortunately Fincher's typecasting ruined any surprises.

I watched the Assembly Cut recently. I think it's better than the the theatrical version but the changes don't make it a vastly different movie, at least based on my hazy recollection of the theatrical version.

Prometheus is just a terminally stupid movie. I guess with Lindelof being involved with the writing that's not a surprise.

Whedon's biggest issue on Resurrection was casting, I believe. He wrote certain characters so that they'd either be neutral or sympathetic only to have their true colors shown as the story unfolds.

Interesting, yeah wasn't 4 the French dude who directed Amelie and City Of Lost Children? I remember reading something about him needing an English translator on set, which has got to make it tough to get the performance you want from the actors too. I know I thought Winona Ryder was good at the time, but I barely remember the other actors.

Have you guys seen the Assembly Cut of Alien3 or just the theatrical version? Ideally, I'd like to see both.

I've only seen theatrical, and not for years, so my opinions above could be totally different now I guess. Might check out that other cut now that you mention it.

Edited by battlecat

Is the Assembly Cut of Alien3 part of the Quadrilogy box set?

Interesting, yeah wasn't 4 the French dude who directed Amelie and City Of Lost Children? I remember reading something about him needing an English translator on set, which has got to make it tough to get the performance you want from the actors too.

You might be right. I hadn't heard about that. Definitely makes things more challenging.

Yeah, Jean Pierre Jeunet is an amazing director, and some of his regular actors are in Resurrection. I thought the movie started well but really fizzled out. Some interesting concepts at least. A3 was decent, but ultimately it was directed by committee, and that always leaves a flat taste. I really enjoyed Prometheus. Sure, some parts were stupid, but overall a worthy addition to the franchise. Any fan should watch all of the movies, but nothing comes close to the original.

Then I've seen the Assembly Cut and concur with stack32; it doesn't really add much. We're not talking the difference between the theatrical and director's cuts of Daredevil here. That was significant.

Whenever people talk about how horrible the Affleck daredevil was, I think what's your problem, that movie was great, then I remember the theatrical version has poorly edited and most people didn't go back and watch the excellent directors cut.