UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Well,its been a long run...

I remember nearly 10 years ago I joined this forum. First thing I did was get on peoples nerves. Second was to make my presence known by posting my customs. Painting minimates has always seemed to be a constant in my life. No matter where I was,what I was doing,It always came back to me sitting on my desk with a brush in my hand and a lamp shining brightly on my face. But its not that simple anymore. The harshness of reality has been kicking in lately. I used to wonder where the likes of Punisher and Shamrock went,but now I know. Both were my near my age (19) at the point they left,and Ive started to realize my self that there are priorities in life,and that some things have to take backseat to what you NEED to do. These past couples of months have been testing the hell out of me,and ive barely had time to even tend to pre-existing orders,and when I was painting,I was so stressed with everything else that had been going on in life that painting wasnt a form of solace anymore,but a hassle. Its been a good run. A damn good run,but now its time for me to put away the paints and brushes,Im going into retirement fellas. No more customs for me. I might collect the occasional mate,but right now there are much more important things to tend to. To make a short story long,Ill be attending college soon. Unfortunately,itll take up whats left of my free time,which means no more customs. But its not all bad,at least I managed to meet some badass members on this forum! Speaking of college,Im going to have to finance myself (books,transportation,etc) so heres a huge sale! Ill be selling the ENTIRETY OF MY MINIMATE COLLECTION. Now as a customizer,I dont really have a large collection per se,but when it comes to parts,man,I am set. The link to the ebay auction is below,or you can feel free to DM me. Id prefer this lot goes to someone who genuinely appreciates minimates.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321820766011?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Whether you stuck around to read all of this or not,I just wanna take my time to say I appreciate my time spent here. Its been a good 9 years.

You don't have to quit all out. Just moderate. Everyone has periods that they can't keep up with stuff. Just keep in mind college is a fun thing to do, but it doesn't mean you have to give up on everything else. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I went from part time to full time to just having a baby and since my daughter was born I've done my first custom anything in 10 years. Take a break, no need to quit is all I'm saying.

I agree with AZ, but ultimately it's your call. Good luck this fall & remember that you can always go home.

By home I mean here. :)

I totally understand your motives and around your age, I did quit a lot of stuff I did before, too. Some of those things I started to get back into some 10 years later. (Enough two-cent-wisdom)

I wish you all the best, hope you have a great time in college and start to become the guy you really want to be in your life. It was really nice to have you around (and other than Sham and Punisher, at least 'we' know where you are heading ;) )

And good luck with that sale! But please, keep at least one old 'mate and take it with you. Sometimes it's nice to have something small reminding you of a good time (thank your personal deity you're not collecting 1/6 scale figures...)

Cheers

First, knowing now that you're (only) 19 and have reached the level of talent I've seen in your customs makes me respect (and envy) you even more.

Second, I would echo the sentiment expressed by others here: you can moderate, rather than abstain, if you choose. Sometimes it does take a little time away to realize that, but it's true.

Third, going to college is the beginning, not the end. You will come to learn you have the capacity to handle so much more than you think. Seriously. I beg you to step outside your comfort zone and push yourself (if I could go back in time and kick my lazy college-self in the ass...)

Fourth, whatever you do I wish you all the best, and will miss seeing the work of such a bright light in the customs thread.

Happy trails.

College is a big deal. It's going to be one of the busiest, craziest, most stressful and funnest parts of your whole life. Prioritising it is a must.
We'll miss your customs - but i hope we'll still see you around the place from time to time.

Best of luck on this, the next chapter of your life. Onwards and upwards. If in the years to come after college you feel the need to customize minimates again, you know where to showcase your talents. Take care.

wow! That's a lot of parts! Are you paying the shipping (making it free)? I often wonder how companies in China can ship to the US and offer free shipping. Not that you're in China, just wondering.

Good Luck, you will be missed! You are a very talented person, so I wouldn't shut down those creative juices completely. I speakfrom experience. I was waaay into art and drawing and painting and creating my whole young life up thru High School. I was in Marine Corps Boot Camp when I turned 19. I pretty much gave up doing anything creative for the next 4 years while I served the country, and it took another 6 or 7 years for me to rediscover my love of lego, which ultimately led me to minimates. To coing the phrase used in a lot of lego/toy forums, I was in my "Dark Ages", and stayed that way until i was about 30 to finally get back into the whole toy world. I agree with Bob Harris, bring a few things with you (favorite figure/little sketch/dumb little trinket that you and only you appreciate/etc...) My whole 4 years in the marines I kept my Dress Blues Version of Gung-Ho with me, and i think it got me back to happy times when i needed it, or made me think of my family, or just made me smile. I still have that little fella floating atround.

I guess what 'm saying is, take care of what you gotta take care of, and come back to the hobby when it brings you joy again. Like I said, you are super talented, especially for your age. Stop back here from time to time and say hello, and give a progress report. The old men will still be here on the porch sipping lemonade. I've gone into about 2 or 3 mini retirements from this hobby, but made too many real friends here to completely stay away. To be honest, the people here are probably what kept me interested in minimates.

enough about me, I wish you the best of luck. Keep your head up, and keep on truckin'