UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 65 The Unknown Wave

Zak Katz

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want anyone to feel like they can't complain because I'm here, as long as they're okay with me trying to explain why we do things. If they don't accept my explanation, and continue to say that our thinking is wrong, well, that's a different story. I'll eventually get tired of trying to make people see our point of view, although I seem to be a glutton for punishment. But nobody wants to hear the same complaints made over and over again, especially if they've been addressed.

And I hate that my job is perceived as "spinning" negative comments, I am honestly trying to respond to unhappy customers in a way that explains our thinking and, if applicable, gives hope for the future. I want our customers to be happy, and although that is not always possible with everybody, I think they have good reason to be happy. We've never had more retail locations or more variety for Minimates than we do right now -- and that applies to Marvel specifically, as well as Minimates as a whole.

Hellpop rightly pointed out that I usually defend our choice to make main characters, so having to defend two obscure characters we chose is unusual for me. Everyone's opinions are valid, and I certainly have affections for these characters that I don't have for, say, Hellcat or Nighthawk, but I am still amazed that people can't look at them objectively and say, "these were two prominent, unmade characters leading into and participating in the Secret Wars." Perhaps someone under 30 wouldn't focus on these two characters when looking at Secret Wars as a whole, but they certainly stuck out to Chuck and Robert (and me, although I had no say) when looking at early artwork, prior to the full Marvel announcement.

They did not take the place of Toad, Black Knight, Sunfire, Tigra, etc.

Edited by DSTZach

Just to clarify, I like the two-pack, and I think it's cool that two characters that don't have a film franchise are able to be packed together, hopefully we can see more like this. I just don't think they're as high profile as some others do, and I completely disagree if anyone thinks that Daredevil and Ghost Rider aren't more well known. But I'm still psyched to get these.

Gotta love that Youbastards made two long, thoughtful posts, and the takaway most people had was "Capwolf". biggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

This board functions very differently from other boards, in that we are focused on a specific product, from a specific company, and we are fortunate enough to have a rep from the company interact with us regularly. And, unlike other company reps, he participates in conversations. So our complaining about something often turns into a tangible debate with the company rep, which is mostly a good thing, I think.

I'm surprised that the Howard/Dazzer debate continues, particularly since it doesn't even particularly belong in this thread! I'm totally on board with this set, but I do do my fair share of character selection bitching (see: Men,X-). I always try to see DST's side in the decisions they make, even if I don't agree with them. I hope everyone that's up in arms about Howard and Dazzler can do the same, particularly if you're also demanding more godawful 90s X-Men figures. laugh.png

Hellpop rightly pointed out that I usually defend our choice to make main characters, so having to defend two obscure characters we chose is unusual for me. Everyone's opinions are valid, and I certainly have affections for these characters that I don't have for, say, Hellcat or Nighthawk, but I am still amazed that people can't look at them objectively and say, "these were two prominent, unmade characters leading into and participating in the Secret Wars." Perhaps someone under 30 wouldn't focus on these two characters when looking at Secret Wars as a whole, but they certainly stuck out to Chuck and Robert (and me, although I had no say) when looking at early artwork, prior to the full Marvel announcement.

I have no doubt those characters stood out to Chuck and Robert and they were definitely unmade. I'd question whether prominent is an accurate description of either character. While I'm not under 30 I could see that opinion being influenced heavily either way by your exposure to 70's comics. So, I can understand why the decision would be made; I just can't see it as an objective or unbiased decision. Not that I think it's intentionally biased, I am surprised though that the opinion of these two is so high that any negative reaction comes as a surprise.

In the same way that we dont always get movie characters made because they werent in the early concept art given to DST (final whiplash, silver samurai), think of event waves the same. DST was likely given early art and picked from what they were given based on a logical process. I'm sure they weren't told how the even was going to play out specifically or who would be more important that who. And they may have also been told to lay off characters fox has movie rights too. So God Doom and the maker may be important to the story, but that doesn't mean they are available to make for the wave.

I don't know what the specifically named storylines involve as I haven't read new comics for years. Axis and all that are lost on me as stories, but I still love the minimates. A lot of those new looks in minimate form are my first exposure to them. Even though I love classics (like Howard and Disco Dazzy), I'm okay with a lot of the modern stuff too. I don't know what a Zenpool is, but I'd probably like him, especially if there's an Entrantress. Looking over my mates last night, I realize there's still a two gaps in the Phoenix Five to fill. Might be a perfect wave to slip in that Namor and Magik.

Gotta love that Youbastards made two long, thoughtful posts, and the takaway most people had was "Capwolf". :D:rolleyes:

It's not that I didn't take more from his posts -- J typically makes amazing arguments & I agree with 99% of them -- it's just that I have no argument here. I enjoy 'mates as a whole (even the ones I don't buy) & I enjoy being here. On topic, I love DiscoD because female character.

Plus, sometimes the arguing gets a lil uncomfortable, so anything to deflect the convo into a more amicable direction works for me. :)

I'm thinking Phoenix Five Namor and Magik we could probably throw in the same category as the Fear Itself groups.

I don't really care because I'm not a fan of short lived/alternate looks, but I kind of wish these releases be all or nothing. I think somebody buying 3 Phoenix Fives will absolutely buy 5 Phoenix Fives. Somebody who won't buy 3 won't buy 5. I get that timing doesn't always work out that way though.