UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 65 The Unknown Wave

Zak Katz

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valo gets it.

I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't get less popular characters, but the selection and timing makes a big difference, especially when so many slots are taken up by A and B-list heroes. I don't recall anyone complaining about Forge and Banshee. I dislike the Brotherhood more than just about anyone but wasn't critical of them being made. Viper and Baron Strucker weren't criticized either, or not to any significant degree. There are probably a dozen different characters from different corners of the Marvel universe that would have received little argument. These two in particular are polarizing because in 2015 they're jokes more than characters even if they have some real history behind them and their selection seems completely arbitrary. Obviously DST is free to make whoever they want and even these two have fans. I don't think the negative response some of us have had (or maybe it's just me) should be hard to understand though.

I think it's cool to get Howard, Dazzler I'm pretty nonplussed about either way, I got into X-Men after her time had pretty much come and gone, but I like this one better than the first one. The two pack I have the least interest in from Secret Wars is Wolverine and Hulk bi understand why they made it on, theyre just so similar to the ones that came before.

I do wish Wolverine came with the baby holding hand from The Walking Dead painted green....

...I don't care that minimates continue just so they continue. If they can't make characters I want then I really don't care if the line exists or not.

Congratulations MisterPL, you no longer have the worst post of the day.

Dammit. I put effort into that. too. I guess it just comes natural to others. Oh well.

As somebody who's worked on the OHOTMU, I always get a chuckle out of what some people define as "obscure."

What edition? Can you sign mine?

Series 50 was definitely random, because I pulled the characters from a fan poll on this forum, which was probably voted on by a few hundred people, based on the top vote getters. The characters were only tangentially connected to start, and then 30,000 people voted on them, meaning the more obscure characters we chose mostly didnt win, and the winners were mostly unconnected. The nominees were all unmade characters or looks, which means they had a better chance overall, but I'm sure few people voted for all of the winners, so there were likely figures people didn't want -- same as any other wave.

Meanwhile, most waves we do feature characters who are united by a common theme or story, and while we decide on the popularity level ourselves, we also take into consideration the need for updates, or an utter lack of representation for a character or look. So while people may not be into the theme, the ones who do are more likely to want them all. Another factor is amount of tooling, or even a need for tooling, as there is sometimes not any room in the tool or anytime to tool it. So that can often put the kibosh on certain characters.

And while Howard is a funny character, I don't know that that makes him a joke. Spider-Ham is back, shouldn't we make him? And Dazzler has had some pretty serious storylines, recently and in the past, and it's really just this disco costume that had made her a punchline. But I do think the history and recurring use of the costume are what make it so necessary.

Edited by DSTZach

Zach:

Research credits in the 2000's edition. I'm in the 14th volume of the hardcover series. I didn't write any profiles so signing would feel a little weird :). I know everyone is familiar with the 80s series, but I strongly suggest everyone check out the millenium ones. The amount of work those guys put into them is INSANE. Like, you seriously have no idea how much fact checking is involved. That's why wiki sites and people backing up their arguments with them drives me completely nuts.

And cosign on Dazzler. 80s Dazzler solo series is seriously underrated. The people who think of her as a joke probably never read the series. It was actually pretty cool to have such a well developed female lead character at the time.

Series 50 was definitely random, because I pulled the characters from a fan poll on this forum, which was probably voted on by a few hundred people, based on the top vote getters. The characters were only tangentially connected to start, and then 30,000 people voted on them, meaning the more obscure characters we chose mostly didnt win, and the winners were mostly unconnected. The nominees were all unmade characters or looks, which means they had a better chance overall, but I'm sure few people voted for all of the winners, so there were likely figures people didn't want -- same as any other wave.

Meanwhile, most waves we do feature characters who are united by a common theme or story, and while we decide on the popularity level ourselves, we also take into consideration the need for updates, or an utter lack of representation for a character or look. So while people may not be into the theme, the ones who do are more likely to want them all. Another factor is amount of tooling, or even a need for tooling, as there is sometimes not any room in the tool or anytime to tool it. So that can often put the kibosh on certain characters.

50 didn't have an in-story theme connecting the characters, sure, so I guess if you didn't participate in the poll then it would appear random. But if you did, then the theme was that you helped choose those characters, even if that's a bit meta. (You could also argue that having Songbird, Onslaught & Zemo in there creates something of an impromptu story theme I guess.) But like I said, "random" means no conscious thought or reasoning or method or whatever is put into a decision, but you're saying 30,000 people voted on their favorites... which is a whole lot of thought and reasoning, and the entire thing is a method. On top of that DST selected who was feasible for the poll, and who would go up against who in each of the votes, which is even further input. So I really think you're misusing the word here, but maybe I'm also feeling defensive of that wave because I loved everything about it and its selection process, so I'll leave it at that. thumbsup.gif

Zenpool would be a crazy minimate, if done right, it would be a very nice figure, however, being newer to the mate scene, I would still love an update black panther, and I echo everyone's sentiments for wrecking crew!

I know 90s xmen are very unlikely but the aftermarket on those requires a second mortgage...