UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 65 The Unknown Wave

Zak Katz

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think youbastards meant it would be weird to update an old costume Spider-Woman is no longer wearing just to pop a Skrull head on it. and if we get a new Spider-Woman, I'd really like to see her new costume.

oooooooh but wait!

didn't Mockingbird come back in Secret Wars?? I'd actually prefer her over an update Wasp, tho both would be great. Mockingbird is in her old costume when they all come out of the little spaceship, so maybe we'd get Classic and Modern versions

Edited by CortherX

The Secret Invasion wasp is pretty well known know, and it's such a classic look. I'd be very happy to have her in that costume at the expense of almost every other look.

didn't Mockingbird come back in Secret Wars?? I'd actually prefer her over an update Wasp, tho both would be great.

Cr@p - now you've done it.... you've gone and raise my hopes.

I think youbastards meant it would be weird to update an old costume Spider-Woman is no longer wearing just to pop a Skrull head on it. and if we get a new Spider-Woman, I'd really like to see her new costume.

oooooooh but wait!

didn't Mockingbird come back in Secret Wars?? I'd actually prefer her over an update Wasp, tho both would be great. Mockingbird is in her old costume when they all come out of the little spaceship, so maybe we'd get Classic and Modern versions

If they're going to do Mockingbird, I'd rather them release her as part of a WCA wave (or box set). I don't collect Marvel figures anymore, but if we got the entire original roster of the WCA (Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Wonder Man, Jim Rhodes as Iron Man, and Tigra), I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Can some one give me the low down on God Doom? Is it 616 victor or another version?

616. He gathered a couple of Molecule Men, used them as a "bomb" and stole the power of the Beyonders. Then Boom! God of the Universe/Multiverse Doom was "born"! Other stuff happened, but I don't want to go into spoiler territory.

I like the classic Mockingbird look, but I never even knew about the character until she returned in Secret Invasion, so I'd prefer her updated look over the classic. I'd settle for either, tho. and I'd really like a Tigra, too, but I'm pretty burnt out on Hawkeye, I have both of the previous Wonder Man mates, and is the Jim Rhodes Iron Man much different from any other Iron Man, aside from who is inside the suit?

It's always cute when these creators think they're going to somehow get the rights to these characters. Should Marvel compensate them for the longstanding value their creation had? Absolutely. But don't pretend you didn't know what the deal was when you created this character.

It's not that black and white, particularly not up through the 70's, when the majority of characters were created. Marvel in particular didn't begin protecting themselves legally until well into the 80's, which is why they were so paranoid about giving Jack Kirby back his original artwork. The thinking was that if they admitted he owned all that artwork they would somehow be admitting he owned the characters too. 'Twas a mess.

As to the great Howard the Duck debate here, I find it ironic that Zach is bending over backwards to defend the choice of two semi-obscure characters, yet if the shoe was on the other foot, and we were trying to convince him to make Howard the Duck and Dazzler, the argument would be quite different. Anyway, Zach is right that Howard was quite popular in his day and deserves to be 'mated as much as anyone. However, Kostis is right that he's not an A-lister, or close to the A-list. As I so eloquently make clear here, the A-List is Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man (now), Wolverine, and that's it. Green Lantern, Flash, Thor are all on the tier below. Howard's probably on the C-list. I will tolerate no dissent on this! This is the tier people!

who cares if they're a listers or not? they're two characters that people are happy to have. should some characters maybe have been released before them? sure. does the fact that we're getting Howard and Disco Dazzler mean we'll never get those characters? probably not. just be happy we're still getting minimates at all and quit complaining.

If Howard was so popular, why does his movie rank 38 out of 39 Marvel films? (Sure, he tops Punisher: War Zone but, geez Louise, that's not saying much.)

I'm with CortherX. I don't care how they're categorized. Popularity changes anyway. I'm just happy to have a Howard on the way.

I'd love to be able to believe that a formula can be deciphered but history dictates that such invitation lists make absolutely no sense and are random in nature. What makes sense today will make zero sense tomorrow. At the end of the day there are flawed humans making this up and things can go from mind-numbingly structured to wonderfully spontaneous on a whim.

Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow, man... cool.png

Because, you know... toys.

As to the great Howard the Duck debate here, I find it ironic that Zach is bending over backwards to defend the choice of two semi-obscure characters, yet if the shoe was on the other foot, and we were trying to convince him to make Howard the Duck and Dazzler, the argument would be quite different.

I think you've pretty well summed up the issue. If someone at DST wasn't looking for an excuse to make those characters the reasons given would be laughable.

who cares if they're a listers or not? they're two characters that people are happy to have. should some characters maybe have been released before them? sure. does the fact that we're getting Howard and Disco Dazzler mean we'll never get those characters? probably not. just be happy we're still getting minimates at all and quit complaining.

Since I'm not a minimate addict I don't care that minimates continue just so they continue. If they can't make characters I want then I really don't care if the line exists or not. But feel free to complain about complaining.

To clarify, I would never argue that somebody should NOT be made. I want everybody. I grew up on Marvel and plundered silver age bins alongside new issue racks for over a decade before I started working at Wizard, at which point I simply read everything. My favorite book may very well have been the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, because I could read decades of stories in condensed form, and learn the complete history of seldom-used characters.

I only ever attempt to explain why someone might be less likely (or necessary) than someone else. Don't ask me why, I guess I just want people to understand the thinking that might lead to one character bring chosen over another. But even if I compared appearances and other quantifiable days, everyone has different perceptions of importance and fame, so there will always be people who claim the choice is entirely personal.

If you want to see randomness, look at who won the Series 50 vote. Very random.

...I don't care that minimates continue just so they continue. If they can't make characters I want then I really don't care if the line exists or not.

Congratulations MisterPL, you no longer have the worst post of the day.

That's completely true though. Why should I care about Minimates if they're not making characters I want? Every person has a different answer, we collect because there's things we like and want, if that ceases why would we care if it kept going or not? I think about this more every time some boring Marvel wave comes out or some crappy property gets introduced.

If you want to see randomness, look at who won the Series 50 vote. Very random.

But... that was like the opposite of random. Random means no purposeful method or process is used to make a choice, and that wave is the only one that those of us without a DST prefix know exactly who made the choice and how. Sounds like we may need to start the campaign to include Hellcat in the Wave 100 poll sooner rather than later though thumbsup.gif

Just realized, with that IM 2020 coming up I think that's eight (and half a Banshee I guess) of the poll losers we've gotten since 50? Keep 'em coming! No sleep till Warwolves.

If Howard was so popular, why does his movie rank 38 out of 39 Marvel films? (Sure, he tops Punisher: War Zone but, geez Louise, that's not saying much.)

I'm with CortherX. I don't care how they're categorized. Popularity changes anyway. I'm just happy to have a Howard on the way.

I actually enjoyed Punisher: War Zone.

*dodges rotten fruit*

If Howard was so popular, why does his movie rank 38 out of 39 Marvel films? (Sure, he tops Punisher: War Zone but, geez Louise, that's not saying much.) I'm with CortherX. I don't care how they're categorized. Popularity changes anyway. I'm just happy to have a Howard on the way.

I actually enjoyed Punisher: War Zone.*dodges rotten fruit*

90s Cap was worse. And Howard too. But the movie is ruined by the mishandling of Jigsaw. Stevenson was good though.

Edited by Trekker 42

As to the great Howard the Duck debate here, I find it ironic that Zach is bending over backwards to defend the choice of two semi-obscure characters, yet if the shoe was on the other foot, and we were trying to convince him to make Howard the Duck and Dazzler, the argument would be quite different.

I think you've pretty well summed up the issue. If someone at DST wasn't looking for an excuse to make those characters the reasons given would be laughable.

Since I'm not a minimate addict I don't care that minimates continue just so they continue. If they can't make characters I want then I really don't care if the line exists or not. But feel free to complain about complaining.

Seriously. As someone who has been here since wave one and bought Hulk and Daredevil off the peg at Suncoast with the VHS tape sized price tag on the front, and has since bought EVERY Marvel 'mate except for literally about ten two packs, I have no interest in seeing anyone's opinion dismissed with the notion that we should be grateful. They are grateful for money, we are grateful for their product. That's how it works. And since Zach seems ok with the debate, I think everything will be ok.

I think part of the frustration/confusion over Howard and Dazzler is because it followed so soon after the Daredevil Netflix show was shot down pretty hard, we all try to think with "DST Logic" and this two-pack combined with no plans for Daredevil 'mates caused a lot of confusion about how sets get picked to move forward. I remember making the same point a while back and saying it was a good thing, that hopefully this opened the doors a bit more, only to find out that it didn't necessarily mean that. And some people were upset about that, and others weren't. I'm relatively used to it, I have about 1200 Wolverine 'mates at this point, but everyone has their dream set or character, and when you see someone you feel is on equal footing get made before your favorite, it can be disappointing. And disappointment comes from caring in the first place, so maybe look at complaints as indirect affection if that helps you.

Edited by Valo487