UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

All New All Different Marvel minimate speculation...

Zexion_Armando

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITs really hard to describe whats really going in Secret Wars, because it never feels like we get any real explanations. Just off hand comments and handwaving.

Welcome to Jonathan Hickman's writing style. Population: vague.

ITs really hard to describe whats really going in Secret Wars, because it never feels like we get any real explanations. Just off hand comments and handwaving.

pretty sure you guys are reading a different comic then

honestly I feel really discouraged by the Marvel threads on this forum , seems everyone is so afraid of new ideas that they cant even give them a chance

I hope that works well for you, the best of luck to ya

Marvel will still be here and thriving when you choose to get on board

honestly I feel really discouraged by the Marvel threads on this forum , seems everyone is so afraid of new ideas that they cant even give them a chance

A friend of mine's first comic purchase was Secret Wars #1-3. Other than some confusion about the first issue, he actually understands a lot of it. He plans to pick up a title regularly post-Secret Wars. For anyone who's still confused, ComicIsland did a great

on the lead up to it.

If you think Secret Wars is confusing, try reading DC's Convergence.

Agreed, Secret Wars isn't any more complicated or hard to understand that Age of Apocalypse or Years of Future Past. I have always enjoyed Hickman's style and I think Secret Wars is Marvel's best event since Annihilation

Has Marvel given any comment on what's going to happen to all the OTHER realities after Secret Wars?

Presumably, when the event ends, 616 will get back to business as usual, but pick up a few new refugees along the way, like Miles and Squadron Supreme and Old Man Logan...

But will the other alt realities still exist? Or is Marvel trying to wipe the slate clean? And if they are wiping the slate clean, how does this effect future "alternate reality" and/or "What if?" stories?

I really hope they're not claiming every other non-main reality is obliterated, because it's not a plot point they'll be able to sustain. I mean look at AoA or House of M, they originally claimed those realities WERE 616, just altered briefly, until they wanted to revist it them, at which point they became splinter realities, separate from 616. EVENTUALLY... some writer is gonna want to use something outside 616, which would completely violate the premise that there's only 1 reality. (Frankly the continued existence of the movies violates that premise immediately, if we assume the movies to be their own reality in the marvel omniverse... which some do.)

PS. For anyone reading X-Men '92... does Morph play any role whatsoever? Any mention? Any nod? Does he appear? As long as they're cherrypicking characters from the omniverse, I'd love it if they FINALLY gave the animated version of Morph a place in mainstream Marvel continuity... but I doubt he's on anyone's radar this day in age. Still, just curious.

To be fair, I'm not reading the comic yet, because I don't read new comics any more. I'll read it when the trade comes out. But I've read more then enough Hickman comics to be familiar with his style. He's built his Marvel work around the slow burn, loading his comics with foreshadowing. If it pays off, it will be great. If it doesn't... it will be Infinity, which was a big long dud.

I am not down on Marvel at all, and I am definitely not afraid of new ideas. I think Marvel is producing some very good books right now, and is in much better overall shape then DC. What I bristle at, though, is all the hype and nonsense that accompanies their solicitations and press releases. How many times have we been led to believe that "nothing will be the same" or something like that? And how long has that new status quo lasted? Just make good comics. That's all I want.

Has Marvel given any comment on what's going to happen to all the OTHER realities after Secret Wars?

Presumably, when the event ends, 616 will get back to business as usual, but pick up a few new refugees along the way, like Miles and Squadron Supreme and Old Man Logan...

But will the other alt realities still exist? Or is Marvel trying to wipe the slate clean? And if they are wiping the slate clean, how does this effect future "alternate reality" and/or "What if?" stories?

I really hope they're not claiming every other non-main reality is obliterated, because it's not a plot point they'll be able to sustain. I mean look at AoA or House of M, they originally claimed those realities WERE 616, just altered briefly, until they wanted to revist it them, at which point they became splinter realities, separate from 616. EVENTUALLY... some writer is gonna want to use something outside 616, which would completely violate the premise that there's only 1 reality. (Frankly the continued existence of the movies violates that premise immediately, if we assume the movies to be their own reality in the marvel omniverse... which some do.)

PS. For anyone reading X-Men '92... does Morph play any role whatsoever? Any mention? Any nod? Does he appear? As long as they're cherrypicking characters from the omniverse, I'd love it if they FINALLY gave the animated version of Morph a place in mainstream Marvel continuity... but I doubt he's on anyone's radar this day in age. Still, just curious.

i've only read the 1st issue of X-Men '92, but there's no Morph. it's just the core team.

I like new ideas. This comic isn't new at all, though. Its the 3rd iteration of Marvel event, mixed with House of M and with a hint of Game of Thrones.

Nothing has stakes. 2 major characters died last issue, and what of it. Nothing. Nothing matters.

And even past that, we've spent almost 3 years with still many questions. Rabum Alal getting almost 0 explanation, Black Swan's identity still a mystery, issues wasted on more and more trash like the fight between Tony and Cap, the mary sue Beyonders who got instantly handwaved off screen. a time skip where interesting things happened, but was never explained like the involvement of major entities concerning the Incursions.

I'll take Bendis any day over Hickman because at least his characters seem to have personalities. Other than Doom, Valeria and Namor and Panther, everyone else is a just a voice box of incessant word vomit.

That hour long explanation video was actually really informative and I feel caught up enough that I understand whats going on in secret wars, that I havent read.

I barely read any of Hickman's New Avengers run and understood what the hell was going on pretty easily. It's no more confusing than House of M or Age of Apocalypse or any other alternate reality story Marvel has told. I dig the Game of Thrones riffs and any story with Doom at the center is always gonna make me happy.

I loved house of M. Loved it and totally wanted more of it.

Marvel retconning the twins origins so they arent mutants really hurts that excellent story. I love that Hank pym was a maniac in there.

Edited by arnim zola

I loved house of M. Marvel retconning the twins origins so they arent mutants really hurts that excellent story.

That's because it makes no sense, it's just an FU to Fox. Personally, I'm ignoring it. They'll always be Magneto's kids to me.

Does anyone else find it odd that Marvel is phasing out so much of the Fantastic Four, but Dr. Doom is still a major player?

Aren't they just being reassigned to other teams? Ben with Guardians, Johnny with The Inhumans... Not sure where Reed and Sue have landed.