UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

All New All Different Marvel minimate speculation...

Zexion_Armando

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Daredevil (Gambit's new suit looks atrocious)

That's not Gambit.

All press I've read says it is. Where are you getting this?

Soule said that it's not Gambit. Bleeding Cool made a few mistakes yesterday with characters like Gambit/New Guy and Sunspot/Johnny/Hammond/Inferno.

I'm kind of getting sick of Alternate Reality X-Men running around the Mainstream Marvel universe... it's... growing overly confusing.

Like first the Exiles were getting mixed up with 616. They'd visit here, at least one of them, Nocturne, stayed. A few 616'ers went to join them (Sage, Psylocke, Beak). Then we had AoA Nightcrawler running around while 616 Nightcrawler was dead (but now he's not dead). Then we gained the young versions of the original five, who don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon. Now we've got Old Man Logan and god knows who else running around...

It's getting rather difficult to keep track of. I miss when the characters from another time and/or alternate realities were just new guys we'd never seen before, like Bishop, or Rachel, or X-Man (okay, so he's technically AoA Cable, but he at least had the courtesy to change his name so we didn't get confused). Not temporary sit-ins for the actual characters while they're dead or something...

Though post Secret Wars, it doesn't seem to be a problem exclusive to the X-Men anymore, so... I guess it's confusing for everyone.

Edited by Gillbob316

DC and Marvel claim readership went down. These constant reboots ARE the reason why. They won't admit it, but who the hell will follow something when it's changed every couple of years. Also this makes waiting for TPB's annoying. I mean by the time they come out, it really doesn't matter anymore. Minimates are in the same boat i suppose. DST's hands are tied. I think this is why the movie license works better. Constant flow( except Spiderman).

The argument is that these incessent reboots provide jumping on points for new readers. However, they also tend to provide jumping off points for existing readers so unless readership is increasing, they need to stop this nonsense.

Comic book publishers need to take notes from streaming media services. Readers should be able to catch up on their favorite titles the same way audiences catch up on the favorite TV shows. If readers can't find the back issues or trade paperbacks at bookstores or comic shops, they should be able to find them online easily and affordably. As much as I love print, online comics are what will likely save this medium.

But constantly switching up content and alienating the readership that you just won over (not to mention life-long fans) is not a sustainable business model.

I think you're right on that, PL, and I think that's what Marvel has been doing with Marvel Unlimited. It's basically an all-you-can-eat buffet of back issues; I've recently been reading through X-men from issue 1. I think the yearly sub for unlimited issues is something comixology or DC themselves really need to look at.

To take your TV show analogy further, perhaps these "reboots" would more accurately be considered as "seasons:" in much the same way as TV shows will end with a cliffhanger, then promote and begin the next season as "everything has changed," the marketing of these shifts in the status quo in retrospect turn out to be a lot of hype, but a fairly consistent flow of events in the actual comics.

I'm really looking forward to everything Old Man Logan.

This is the big win of the reboot for me.

Old Man Logan is my favorite Wolverine story so I'm intrigued.

I haven't read a single issue comic in maybe 3-4 years. I read everything in trade now & it's mostly classic stories from the 80's & 90's that I pick up on sale, BUT I started reading Secret Wars, Old Man Logan, Thors, & X-Men '92. Despite not knowing what has been going on in the MU the last few years, I've been thoroughly enjoying all 4 books. Sure, I had to Google "The Maker", but other than that, I haven't had any trouble following along.

After seeing the solicits yesterday, I must admit, I may be taking a hiatus again. I was really hoping Peter would be a sort of mentor to Miles which would lead to the occasional team-up, but it doesn't appear to be so. And I'm not a fan of Spider-Man having so much tech in his suit. It kind of takes away from his Spider powers.

As far as Minimates go, I don't mind when we receive new costumes. I'm just bothered when we don't receive whole teams in the same look or when some characters are omitted like X-23. DST needs to commit to complete teams.

I think you're right on that, PL, and I think that's what Marvel has been doing with Marvel Unlimited. It's basically an all-you-can-eat buffet of back issues; I've recently been reading through X-men from issue 1. I think the yearly sub for unlimited issues is something comixology or DC themselves really need to look at.

To take your TV show analogy further, perhaps these "reboots" would more accurately be considered as "seasons:" in much the same way as TV shows will end with a cliffhanger, then promote and begin the next season as "everything has changed," the marketing of these shifts in the status quo in retrospect turn out to be a lot of hype, but a fairly consistent flow of events in the actual comics.

Per Bleeding Cool, it appears this may be happening with Amazon. Since Amazon bought Comixology, apparently the newer contracts require the ability to allow for read only options after X months after release. The article was pretty vague, but Comixology Submit comics will be impacted. Still yet to be determined how this would impact Marvel, DC, Valiant, Image, etc. If DC and Valiant were part of it, I would definitely be interested.

As far as Minimates go, I don't mind when we receive new costumes. I'm just bothered when we don't receive whole teams in the same look or when some characters are omitted like X-23. DST needs to commit to complete teams.

In all fairness, I don't think X-23 was on the team when DST started work on that assortment. If she had, we probably wouldn't have gotten Bobby Drake, just another Ice Man. I still think an X-23 coupled with a villain or army builder could be snuck into a future assortment and do well.

In all fairness, I don't think X-23 was on the team when DST started work on that assortment. If she had, we probably wouldn't have gotten Bobby Drake, just another Ice Man. I still think an X-23 coupled with a villain or army builder could be snuck into a future assortment and do well.

Well, if they do an ANAD Marvel Wave akin to 51, they can have X-23 Wolverine as the main fig, and All-New X-23 as the variant.

Thought...

The more and more Marvel makes it money from unlimited, the less and less flooding the market with a thousand titles will matter. The argument was always "Publish more X-Books because people will buy them." But if your main money maker becomes your backlog, then FEWER new titles will actually be MORE profitable.

So can anyone explain to me what exactly is happening with Secret Wars and what the fallout will be. I have read the first 2 or 3 issues (I can't recall off hand), and I understand what is going on in Battleworld for the most part. I still have no idea how Doom became ruler, and why no one else has memories of their past, although it seems like a few are starting to remember.

My big question is that once this storyline is over will everything go back to taking place on a normal Earth, or is everything going to continue to take place on Battleworld? I hope it goes back to a normal Earth. I'm kinda disconnected from all the characters right now and don't care too much about the stories because I don't know what stories are going to continue on and which past storylines are going to be forgotten. I was really liking the latest Hulk comic (the first Hullk comic I actually got into) and now I'm left wondering what is going on with Doc Green and that whole storyline. It looks like we are possible getting someone else in the role of the hulk in the new comic. This whole reboot pretty much sucks to me at this point, but I will give it a chance.

So can anyone explain to me what exactly is happening with Secret Wars and what the fallout will be. I have read the first 2 or 3 issues (I can't recall off hand), and I understand what is going on in Battleworld for the most part. I still have no idea how Doom became ruler, and why no one else has memories of their past, although it seems like a few are starting to remember.

My big question is that once this storyline is over will everything go back to taking place on a normal Earth, or is everything going to continue to take place on Battleworld? I hope it goes back to a normal Earth. I'm kinda disconnected from all the characters right now and don't care too much about the stories because I don't know what stories are going to continue on and which past storylines are going to be forgotten. I was really liking the latest Hulk comic (the first Hullk comic I actually got into) and now I'm left wondering what is going on with Doc Green and that whole storyline. It looks like we are possible getting someone else in the role of the hulk in the new comic. This whole reboot pretty much sucks to me at this point, but I will give it a chance.

Doom and Dr Strange killed the Beyonders and Doom took their omnipotent powers and used them to save what was left over of all the different worlds to form Battlworld. No one remembers anything because Doom used his godlike powers to make it that way, that's why there are walls separating the different regions of Battleworld so that people don't suddenly realize there are multiple versions of themselves running around all over the place. The only people with memories of the old world are the Cabal and the survivors of 616 (plus Miles).

My understanding is that after Battleworld we will have a new Marvel Universe which will essentially be 616 with a few various survivors of dead realities like Old Man Logan, Ultimate Spidey, Squandron Supreme, and some more randoms. When Secret Wars ends the All New Marvel will take place 8 months afterwards which will let writers set the new status quo without having to explain every damn thing.

People are freaking out about Marvel doing a reboot, but this isn't a reboot, not a real one. As far as I can tell continuity from the 616 is gonna carry forward.

Yeah, people keep saying that, but they don't know any more than the people who say it looks like a reboot. Given what we've seen of the new titles so far it seems it's mostly semantics anyway; they're doing most of what they'd do in a reboot in a way that they can claim isn't really a reboot.

suicidewatch, put that Secret Wars explanation in spoiler caps!

As a new reader, this all seems intriguing. As a new reader on a teenager's budget, the most I'll be able to get is one title. For years, I have loved the character of Doctor Strange, despite me never reading a single comic of his. This reboot is giving me a chance to read about a character I like and I'll take that chance. Nothing really speaks to me, a lot of the cover art ranges from okay to Liefeldian (except Squadron Supreme). I'll be picking up Doctor Strange, the new concept with weapons seems interesting (concept art also shows the good doctor is wearing sneakers now).

docstrange4jpg-c7edae_765w.jpg

I'd really like to read anything Spider Gwen, too.