UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

80s Toons

I forget if this was ever mentioned, if so, feel free to delete/combine threads, but I'd LOVE to see more 80s cartoon Minimates. Either as a wave of loosely related two packs (Bravestarr/his horse, Tranzor Z/female robot, etc)

I know we've talked about the big series that we'd love full lines of, but some of these could be one and done as two or four packs

Oh yeah, would love to see more of these. Though licensing may be tricky for some of these, I would love to see Galaxy High, Defenders of the Earth, Visionaries, Bionic Six, Kidd Video, Hulk Hogan Rock N Wrestling, and of course, Masters of the Universe and GI Joe.

I've always been in for this type of thing. No need for the whole cast, maybe just the main good guy/bad guy. Or just a few of the characters, like an all-star team. Heck blind bags would work with this as well (dodges tomatoes).

I'd go 70's/80's --- battle of the planets, and star blazers, voltron, dungeons & dragons, bravestar, silverhawks, tigersharks, Blackstar, the centurions, Crystar etc...

Between Luke and Lobsterman, they've each done some nice 80's toon custom sets.

I'd like to see full lines for Hanna-Barbera, MOTU, GI Joe, M.A.S.K., Superfriends

Voltron also, but how to package? one 2-pack for each vehicle and rider, blind bags? boxset?

Mostly colorful characters which look awesome as minimates ...... but is there an audience?

It's a catch-22, because the sets that would sell are also the ones that will be the hardest to license. I don't think something like Bravestarr or Silverhawks stands a chance in hell of being made, but I would have said that about Buck Rogers, so what do I know?

The first Thundercats set proves that there's a market based on '80s cartoons, though, and I'm surprised that there hasn't been a follow-up.

Although the first Thundercats set sold very well, AFX has hundreds of sets 2 and 3 that aren't moving.

I would love to see more licenses like this though. It makes me wish that DST could get the production minimum down to 2000 sets instead of 3000, like it used to be. That would sure help move licenses like this. I like Mnemosis' idea of grabbing a few cheaper licenses, and just doing a 2-pack from each. Zach has reminded us that DST doesn't get licenses only for Minimates, but it seems like some of these would be good candidates for a set of 4 pint glasses, or an old school lunchbox, or other novelty-type items.

Do you think that if they made more of Thundercats set 1, it would've helped sell the others?

Edited by Zak Katz

Do you think that if they made more of Thundercats set 1, it would've helped sell the others?

Personally speaking, I think it would. However, I am told it will not happen. Never say never?

The first Thundercats set proves that there's a market based on '80s cartoons, though, and I'm surprised that there hasn't been a follow-up.

It proves there's a market for relatively popular '80s cartoons, but if you're looking at cartoons less popular than Thundercats (which is basically everything besides the Hasbro properties and MOTU) it would seem to be an open question. I don't think it's safe to assume that because Thundercats did okay that Silverhawks would definitely break even.

I'd also agree that the lack of availability of the first Thundercats boxset, and its quality problems, hurt the sales of the later sets. I would almost certainly have bought extras of everything else if I could have picked up another one of the first boxset at a reasonable price.

It proves there's a market for relatively popular '80s cartoons, but if you're looking at cartoons less popular than Thundercats (which is basically everything besides the Hasbro properties and MOTU) it would seem to be an open question. I don't think it's safe to assume that because Thundercats did okay that Silverhawks would definitely break even.

I'd also agree that the lack of availability of the first Thundercats boxset, and its quality problems, hurt the sales of the later sets. I would almost certainly have bought extras of everything else if I could have picked up another one of the first boxset at a reasonable price.

I literally said elsewhere in the post you quoted that I didn't think Silverhawks would sell. laugh.png

Yes, the problem with Thundercats is certainly related to the scarcity of the first box set. I don't know if the later sets were produced in higher numbers, but I've heard many times from people that the don't want to buy the later sets, even for the great prices AFX has been selling them at, without the first set. I also wonder if people bought that first set and were satisfied with just having Lion-O, since you'd think people would at least want the set with Tygra and the rest to complete the core team.

Well, that's what I get for reading too many comments at once. I'm probably thinking of Silverhawks because it's one of the few cartoons people listed that I can actually remember watching. That and Voltron I guess. I don't think Voltron would make for good minimates though, unless maybe there were deluxe lions.

I would like to see "Droids" or "Ewok's"

I know EVERYBODY loved that show.......

post-9944-0-21381500-1435196448_thumb.jp

But seriously some Scooby-Doo 'mates would be fantastic. Just think, a five pack to get the gang, A Mystery Machine w/ exclusive variant of Fred, and a wave of monsters with variations of the gang.

also maybe some Inspector Gadget.....Which could lead to a Machine Man.........

Sorry for tugging peoples wants/desires or triggering nostalgia, I'll go back to begging for DP Movie mates....

MASK would be done perfectly as Minimates. It's not like anyone is doing anything with that license anyway.

edit: Actually, I take that back because I don't care. I don't even come around this place any more anyways so I'm not even sure why I'm posting.
Edited by groundhog7s

Well, that's what I get for reading too many comments at once. I'm probably thinking of Silverhawks because it's one of the few cartoons people listed that I can actually remember watching. That and Voltron I guess. I don't think Voltron would make for good minimates though, unless maybe there were deluxe lions.

This is what you want:

battle_of_the_planets.jpg

I literally said elsewhere in the post you quoted that I didn't think Silverhawks would sell. laugh.png

Yes, the problem with Thundercats is certainly related to the scarcity of the first box set. I don't know if the later sets were produced in higher numbers, but I've heard many times from people that the don't want to buy the later sets, even for the great prices AFX has been selling them at, without the first set. I also wonder if people bought that first set and were satisfied with just having Lion-O, since you'd think people would at least want the set with Tygra and the rest to complete the core team.

DST & Icon Heroes would know for sure if the later sets were produced in higher numbers but I'm still fairly confident that they were all produced in equal numbers .

DST & Icon Heroes would know for sure if the later sets were produced in higher numbers but I'm still fairly confident that they were all produced in equal numbers .

I feel certain they were.

Battle of the Planets (Gotchaman) would be huge for me. I loved that show as a kid. However, I also loved Speed Racer and I am not sure it was a big seller for the line.

I was happy with just Thundercats sets 1 and 4 (But I mainly just wanted Mumm-Ra figures :) )

I would LOVELOVELOVE a Dungeons & Dragons cartoon based Minimate set

I would also buy a Turbo Teen set, but I might be the only one who would :)

While I don't know if it would have helped to move hundreds of sets, I think it's definitely a problem when folks who are into Thundercats were unable to get the core, most iconic member of the team. Backup good guys and the rogue's gallery don't mean much without an adult Lion-O. They probably should have done a couple of adult Lion-O variants with subsequent box sets to help move them.

As for MASK, I would definitely love to see those, though the main gimmick with the originals was their vehicles, which we would be unlikely to see with Minimates. Still though, cool masks, colorful designs, count me in.

I honestly can't think of an 80s cartoon I liked. That was around the time I was getting out of cartoons altogether. I grew up on Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo, Super Friends and Jonny Quest. I may have given Dungeons & Dragons a chance but it didn't hook me. Most of my favorites started airing in the previous decade; Flash Gordon, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes.

That didn't stop me from collecting the ThunderCats sets, largely because I thought they made fun toys and I was watching the reboot in 2011.

I wonder if Icon Heroes was hoping that Minimates would drive sales of the statues they were selling that just happened to be in scale with the figures. Those pricey statues probably enjoyed a much better sales margin.