UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Can you guess what they're called ?

buttheadsmate

I've recently been fortunate (?) enough to acquire some packaged, production figures from a toy line that was apparently made in the UK in 1978 . The packaging describes them thus " .......... ,with their many movable,removable & interchangeable parts,provide children with many hours of amusement ." The design was registered in 1978 & the trade mark applied for .

I took them out of their packaging ..............

post-638-0-34537000-1434807123_thumb.jpg post-638-0-16014400-1434807127_thumb.jpg

So can you guess what they're called ?

Ohh I like them. Will have to hunt some down one day.

Good luck to you, but this is the first I have ever heard of them (and it seems this was also the case for BHM) despite having followed and searched eBay for Minimates for years. I don't think we'll see these popping up again anytime soon.

To truly appreciate these critters let me first explain that the packaging says that these were 'made in the Channel islands' which may mean little to anybody outside of the UK . The Channel Islands sit way closer to France than the UK but are part of the UK & a popular British holiday destination & a tax haven . That's about it really apart from the fact that it was occupied by the Germans during WW2 who thence used slave-labour to build a hospital underground on the main island Jersey http://www.jerseywartunnels.com/ ...........I recall that this was a major tourist attraction after the war & probably still is . The only other thing I can think of when I think of the Channel Islands is milk ,if you like milk then you'll love theirs .

All that is kind of relevant when you consider the 5 Minimates which were....in my opinion..... undoubtedly holiday souvenirs from way back in the late 70's . The 'Life-boatman ' is typically the local coastguard type hero in any coastal holiday resort in the UK ....probably unique in the world as they are volunteers who get paid nothing to save the lives of seafarers . The 'Policeman' is undoubtedly featured out of sheer embarrassment ....... British coppers were employed by the 'friendly' German tourists who arrived in June 1940 ! I'm not saying that I blame them but it always seems bloody odd that we always seem kind of proud about it ! The 'WW2' Tommy (British soldier) is my favourite & in 1978 would have been a must for anyone who watched 'Dad's Army' on the TV back then ........'Dad's Army' was a TV comedy about the War , still repeating to this day . That brings us nicely to the 'hun' in his Wehrmacht uniform no.gif What can you say ? A jolly little gun-toting,invading, German soldier to take home with you from your Channel Islands holidays. rolleyes.gif Last but not least ....The Red Coat ! Loved by us English Folk & as we were told in our history lessons........ 'peace-keepers' wherever they went whistling.gif

They all come smiling as they all have the same face.....except perhaps for the copper ...they're always two-faced aren't they ? Joke!!

So that might explain why we have these five figures . There might be more ,if there was then I expect Wave 2 had a nurse , striped-shirted moustachioed,bereted, onion-selling Frenchman & a variant SS Waffen officer .

Rare? No case numbers available as yet but I have never ever seen these before & TBQH I wouldn't worry if I never saw another .

They stand with their helmets at about 3+ inches & have no painted parts ,each of their bodies has a wrap-around (paper?) sticker .Their hands are typical 'minifigure' but have four fingers moulded on one side & a peg that fits into the unarticulated arm which, in turn, hinges at the shoulder via a typical ball joint . The crotch-piece is, once more, very similar to what we see today ,ball joints & plug for the torso which is a one-piece small tube with a rounded head with a hole in it to accept the peg from the helmet . The legs have no knees but they do have ball-jointed ankles ...something that in my time here has been suggested more than once for Minimates . The feet ...they all have black shoe 'feet' which accept the ball joints at the end of the 'legs' . The eyes are...er....articulated....& I'm embarrassed to say I had great fun making the Jerry cross-eyed .

post-638-0-39798000-1434882878_thumb.jpg post-638-0-24458800-1434882883_thumb.jpg

So, how tall are those guys? Are they very mini?

Especially for you Cappy ,the comparison shots ......... post-638-0-19702000-1434882900_thumb.jpg

Here's the crunch.... Ye Olde Minimates are completely interchangeable with these dang new-fangled Yankee critters .

post-638-0-92813900-1434882909_thumb.jpg

Finally a Minimate Shredder that can stand upright ........... post-638-0-77617300-1434883263_thumb.jpg