UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Valiant Minimates

MisterPL

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June I think. Valiant's really killing it and with a Movie Universe to follow, I really hope that DST doesn't drop the license. We should at least get the major characters like Gilad, Quantum and Woody, etc. They're slowly becoming a "bigger" company and are getting a lot more recognition (their books are always scored 8 and up, they're starting to take some spots in the top 10 sale lists, etc) and I'd hate to see this line go the Sony way...

I don't follow Valiant these days but I still see plenty of character designs that would make fun toys.

I'm completely honest when I'm saying this: Valiant is THE publisher to keep an eye on. It has :indie" storytelling, meaning that the stories and characters are fleshed out, there's a start, a middle, an end and nothing drags out. Manowar started as a reckless and violent Visigoth and is now a well respected "king" who's fighting to save the species that captured him. The characer growth in their books is great and Toyo Harada is one of the most complex characters I've ever seen. At least try Imperium, you won't regret it, I promise (though you might need to look up a brief review of Harbinger before that).

As for fun designs, I absolutely agree. Almost all characters have a great costume/look and would make for great figs. Fingers crossed that DST doesn't drop the line so early.

Oh, and I really wish X-O had that helmet. The tampo is okay but that helmet would have been so much better.dst-valiant-comics-minimates-x-o-manowar

True. But I think it'd have turned out a bit too bulky. I tried it with an Iron Man helmet without the faceplate, and it looks off. If they went that route they should've sculpted the boots, shoulder armour and gauntlets as well.

I'm completely honest when I'm saying this: Valiant is THE publisher to keep an eye on.

I'm sure movie studios are watching them closely. I'll have to check out a trade paperback.

They actually closed a deal with a Chinese company a few months back (the same that funded/promoted Iron Man 3) to kickstart a movie universe. Plus, they're working on a Bloodshot movie over at Sony.

As for Hardcovers, I'd go with X-O Manowar first. It's a mix of sci-fi/superheroics and it's the easiest to jump on.

X-O was my favorite Valiant comic back in the day so I'll definitely check that out. I mean, he's no Moon Knight but... wink.png

How's the art?

True, true, no character's quite as cool as the Fist of Khonshu.

I've found it pretty great. It's straight up "real-life" art. None of that "stylized", out-of-proportion and cereal-box-comics crap that passes for "art" these days. To me, it's like a cross between Metroid/Alien(s) and Conan as far as the "feel" of the comic goes.

Edited by Kostisfire

Are you guys having a private conversation or can anyone join in? laugh.png

Ugh, you ruined the moment...Shoo, shooo!

PS: Irelevant and off-topic but, from now on, I shall be calling Nintendo, Nintendoh! Anyone who saw their conference today will understand...

I guess the first set isn't at a reduced price on the TRU website now so that's a good thing. Still, the one local TRU of mine that got these hasn't seemed to sell any so if that's representative of the general trend it doesn't bode well for future 'mates. I doubt TRU will want to gamble that Valiant is going to blow up in the next five years.

The lack of a helmet made me pass on this first set and likely the exclusive too. I understand the reason for cutting it but I think it was a bad move.

Distribution on these was real spotty. I have three TRUs within a reasonable (half hour) drive, and none of them got these. However, I did find them at the one not far from my mom's house. Last time I visited her I stopped in, and they still had eight sets or so. I'd be shocked if TRU carried a second set, but then again I was shocked they carried the first one, so....

Distribution on these was real spotty. I have three TRUs within a reasonable (half hour) drive, and none of them got these. However, I did find them at the one not far from my mom's house. Last time I visited her I stopped in, and they still had eight sets or so. I'd be shocked if TRU carried a second set, but then again I was shocked they carried the first one, so....

Granite Run TRU had these. I managed to snag the last set, haven't seen them since.

Granite Run TRU had these. I managed to snag the last set, haven't seen them since.

Really? I must have been there after you. Though I suspect that someone might have returned that there, because I can't imagine they went through a whole case, especially now that there's not even a comic book store near there to draw the geeks fans.