UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

All-New All-Different Marvel Now! (Post Secret Wars)

undeadpool

i understand that diversity is the ultimate goal here, and at the risk of sounding like a white male racist, are all of the original established characters going to be replaced with other ethnicities/women?

I understand that Marvel wants to attract a wider demographic, but at some point, instead of replacing a character couldn't a new character be created instead?

Maybe I'm too old, or too set in my ways. I'm sure I'll be dismissed as racist or sexist. But that's not my intent. I just want the characters that I know and love, to be the characters I know and love.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't give a Shit about Amadeus cho not because he's Asian, but because he's not Bruce banner. I don't give a Shit about miles not because he's a mixed race spidey, but because he was forced on me by jeph loebs garbage ultimatum series. And to a lesser extent because he isn't Peter Parker. Michael B Jordan isn't jonny storm, and that wasn't the fantastic four. It's really simple.

They are going to keep alienating fans because someone will be buying the books. They are going to keep making inaccurate xmen movies because people keep paying to see the studios Shit on their properties.

I could go on all day. Metaphor man.

I absolutely can't stand the Amadeus Cho character, and I honestly can't believe anybody doesn't find the little s**t annoying as hell. Also, the press release for the comic referred to Greg Pak as "[l]egendary and storied Hulk scribe", which is exactly why their press releases always make me die a little inside.

I guess the point is that in 20 years time (if, and it's a big if) character like Cho and Morales are around then the next generation will grow up with this more politically correct universe. Being fifteen, I'm already used to Banner and Parker so I kind of want them to stay. I'm a big fan of Morales, Cho not so much.

I agree with the point that it'd be better to just make a new character rather than replacing the older ones.

1. Stop using the term "politically correct" there is still tons of legalized and institutionalized racism and sexism in this country, none of these choices are made to satisfy politics, they are made to reflect the real world, which surprise, has more than just white men in it.

2. They make new characters all the time. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't, same goes for legacy characters, none of this is a new concept, Eric Masterson wss Thor for years, Jean Paul Valley was Batman. Conner Hawke was Green Arrow and Bucky was Captain America. When a character takes on an existing mantel it's 9/10 times the writers choice, and when the next writer wants to, they change it again.

You can hate the idea of Cho as Hulk or Miles as Spiderman or Falcon as cap all you want, but don't kid yourself about the medium you're reading, its been this way for decades, it will be this way for decades to come

I doubt Banner and Parker are going anywhere, Rogers and Thor haven't, plus I thought they'd even confirmed Parker is going to remain the main Spidey? And Miles and Cho (and Kamala and Kate Bishop and whoever) *are* new characters. They just gave them existing superhero names because years of trying to launch characters with new superhero names has shown Marvel that recognizable branding is what it takes for a book to sell enough to get established these days.

And they clearly do want to establish characters more reflective of 2015 society than 1965 society, which doesn't just appeal to a "wider demo", it seems to appeal to plenty of existing fans, outside of the online bubble anyway, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

1. Stop using the term "politically correct" there is still tons of legalized and institutionalized racism and sexism in this country, none of these choices are made to satisfy politics, they are made to reflect the real world, which surprise, has more than just white men in it.

The whole point of the term 'political correctness' is that it is a 'pejorative term used to criticize language, actions, or policies seen as being excessively calculated not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society'. The whole point of introducing more than just white American men is to appeal to a larger audience and so Marvel can improve their overall image, just like how companies do diversity reports. I doubt they're doing it to reflect upon the real world, but then again I'm not Marvel. Edited by Pedro Pablumo

There's a reason why Marvel doesn't create "new" characters that I haven't seen mentioned and that's creator ownership. Now more than ever, it's easier to get your own creations published and retain the rights to them. Look at Kirkman and the Walking Dead. Look how much of that money goes in Kirkman's pocket. If you create something that's brand new and it takes off to the point where it sells toys, makes movies, etc, why would you want to surrender those rights to Marvel or DC? Most of the original Marvel creations we know and love were created in the 60's, 70's, 80's when the market was much different. One of the last truly original creations that took off was Deadpool and that was over 20 years ago. And even still, in the early 2000's Marvel put binders on the character due to legalities with Liefeld. Similar to the Friedrich/Ghost Rider stuff. That's why we get female Bullseyes, 20 Ghost Riders, Red Hulks, etc.

Just an unavoidable but shitty aspect of big corporate comics.

I think many of Marvel's choices are driven by the desire to be be politically correct, appear "progressive", or get praise from the social justice warriors as much as the desire to make money. You don't go on The View just to sell comics. That's not to say none of these ideas will have benefits as far as making money or drawing in new readers but other considerations also play a major role.

• 3 weeks later...