UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

FIFA!

hellpop

We get John Oliver the following week over here, so haven't seen any of his stuff on FIFA yet.

That said, this has been huuuuge news here for years, and is one of the only sports related things that makes me genuinely angry. I couldn't care less if my team (Arsenal) lose, even if I've paid $80 for a ticket, but seeing that clown run football with clearly shady goings on has made my blood boil.

Be very interesting to see where FIFA go from here, and Qatar cannot possibly keep the World Cup now given all of the stuff that has happened over there.

Thank the lord someone got the bastard eventually.

Blatter had to go.....little doubt in my mind about that.

sarcasm-1.gif

Get rid of him & everything will be just fine ....it worked in Iraq & Libya .......&....... er.....Liverpool FC .

Thank God that the English FA [& British football in general] is completely free of corruption ........... thankfully there won't be any US federal corruption investigation over here .

The hosts for the 2018 World Cup - Russia ....& the 2022 World Cup - Qatar are also beyond reproach so I'm guessing the Feds will also leave them alone .

Remind me again who were the other bidders for the 2018 & 2022 World Cups ?

Anybody interested in a Formula One thread ? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-06/ecclestone-bribery-trial-halted-after-100m-settlement/5651092

Edited by buttheadsmate

I agree, Blatter had to go. I worked with FIFA for both WC in 1994 and 1998. I had never worked with a more corrupt group before, or since.

I agree, Blatter had to go. I worked with FIFA for both WC in 1994 and 1998. I had never worked with a more corrupt group before, or since.

You're lucky. I have to work with state agencies all the time. sad.png

Also, BHM's post gave me a good chuckle. But while getting rid of high ranking scapegoats won't solve deeply entrenched problems, a lack of effective leadership at the top will make positive reform almost impossible. So, it's a start!

This has been a pretty big news story here in the UK as well, since everybody seems to be football-mad over here. (And yes, it's called football and not soccer!)

My great uncle worked for FIFA for over 25 years. He also worked as the Operations Director for Aston Villa. He resigned everything back in 2002, but he has told stories of corrupt goings on here and there.

You're lucky. I have to work with state agencies all the time. sad.png

Also, BHM's post gave me a good chuckle. But while getting rid of high ranking scapegoats won't solve deeply entrenched problems, a lack of effective leadership at the top will make positive reform almost impossible. So, it's a start!

Louisiana state agencies as well. I feel for you pal. Louisiana is getting better, but boy is it a mess.

Yeah I don't think they're changing the name of a multi-billion dollar industry anytime soon. Fans would be upset, sponsors would be upset. It's fine for the U.S since soccer isn't a big deal here.

Shanester, if you don't mind me asking, how come you ended up working with them?

Long story, short... I used to work for an agency that managed the "behind the scenes" operations for major sporting events (and some not so major). I have been to an incredible amount of sports event around the world and met some great people. Because of the clientele, I remember some of the FIFA matches most fondly. I have been to Super Bowls, MLB World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, Masters Gold Tournaments, Ryder Cup, KY Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Breeder's Cup, NASCAR Races, Indy 500, Pro Bowl, NCAA Basketball Finals & Football Bowls, All-Star games of all kinds, and many more. In 1994, I had a large group of Brazilians for the FIFA final in Los Angeles. The game was played on my birthday and the Brazilians knew it. They won that night and my entire hotel was turned into a giant party. It was a hotel that had a giant open air lobby and all the rooms were along the outside so you had railings all the way up. There were banners flying and people all over the place. The Brazilians called me "Lexi" because at the time, I wore a goatee much like American footballer Alex Lalas. They took over the lobby bar and sang songs to me as trays of shots were passed around the entire night. They even took instruments away from the band and played songs. At one point, I was handed some kind of instrument like a maraca and brought on stage. I remember little else...

• 2 weeks later...