UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Vinimates – 4" Vinyl Minimates

MisterPL

DMC12352.jpg

We might as well start talking about these.

I have no idea what to call them. Not sure if DST does either. I suppose it's a brand extension of Minimates and an answer to all the other vinyl inaction figures out there but for now they're just "Podcast Pals" specific to the apparently all-encompassing line of Kevin Smith collectibles.

This is a slightly different product category for DST so it could open doors for other licensed properties. Probably not anything that Funko has anytime soon but if there's something they've missed, it gives DST the chance to jump on it with more than banks, bottle openers, and action figures.

Of course I'd love fully articulated Minimates this size or taller but I'd settle for a Giant Man in this format if it were possible. Maybe even an Alien Queen.

What do you think? Is it deformed enough for you?

Edited by MisterPL

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they are not testing the waters with such a lame license. I need to see one in person before I decide much, but I don't buy Kevin Smith crap.

Personally, I would prefer they looked more like a large Minimate, but I will consider them if/when I see one I like. Depends on look and license, but if I had to guess based on what I see here, no.

Let me add, that these look cool for what they are. However, I would like to see what they would do with Godzilla or Marvel or Aliens.

As others have said, I'd consider Marvel characters in this format for upscaled figures like Giant Man or a Sentinel, based on how the end product looked. But... would DST go with any such characters IF they had the chance? They don't seem like big draws.

i'm not a huge fan of the flared legs and arms.... or is that just an optical illusion?

If they made Marvel figs with the same proportions as minimates, i'd probably buy some of the characters mentioned above (Sentinels, Giant Man, etc...) - but i'm pretty sure that DST have said time and time again that they don't have the Marvel licence for this scale of collectible (articulated or otherwise).

Happy to be proven wrong though.

For me, Kevin Smith falls into the same "don't see the appeal" bucket as Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo-Boo. Sure, they have fans. But I'll never be one of them.

But I'd be down for large vinyl Pathfinder monsters. I wouldn't even mind the pre-posing or even a slightly smaller size to cost them out. And who loves giants? Loki, that's who.

And Ostog, of course. Ostog would look awesome going up against a giant.

frwZKZD.jpg

Pathfinder Chronicles: Heart of the Jungle

Pathfinder: Giant Hunter's Handbook

i'm not a huge fan of the flared legs and arms....

Same here, though of course, I would jump on 5" Giant Man, Watcher, Sentinel, etc., even with the odd stylistic choice here.

They're called Vinimates. The Kevin Smith podcaster series is called Podcast Pals. Podcast Pals Vinimates. Not sure why BBTS doesn't have the full name, except we were finalizing it kinda late in the game. Might not be correct in the system. Also, that should say 4". Not a great start, but I'll try to fix it.

Kevin Smith does pretty well for us. I must have restocked the pegs several times each for the various sets at C2E2, and that was not true for other lines like Godzilla or Aliens. He's also got a fan base in the U.K., and other English-speaking countries.

And every license is different. Some are restricted in size. Some have multiple licensees. Some are more strict in their depiction of characters. We hope to expand the format to other licenses, but I'm sure not all will be possible.

Edited by DSTZach

They're called Vinimates. The Kevin Smith podcaster series is called Podcast Pals. Podcast Pals Vinimates. Not sure why BBTS doesn't have the full name, except we were finalizing it kinda late in the game. Might not be correct in the system. Also, that should say 4". Not a great start, but I'll try to fix it.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why these seemed a full inch taller than the competition's. This makes a bit more sense.

I like them........... but they probably won't last as KS and Jay figures. I see me taking some sand paper, hobby knife, green stuff and paint to these figures. Atom Smasher and Optimus Prime, here i come!!! ....... maybe even Voltron!

Voltron.

Now there is a property I completely back for minimates....

I like the design style of these, and hope this is something that DST can eventually market for other licenses as well. Maybe even something cool for Battle Beasts.

I like that they went with the ability to pose beyond the limitations of the Minimate design, it reminds me of the cool Lego Batman poses from the games.

LEGO_Batman.jpg

I know everyone is so down on the Kevin Smith license, but I think it's great that there is someone out there from the pop culture industry that loves what DST is producing and pretty much gives them approval on whatever they want to do.

Kevin Smith does pretty well for us. I must have restocked the pegs several times each for the various sets at C2E2, and that was not true for other lines like Godzilla or Aliens.

This!

I remarked to Zach that I had no idea that View Askew merch was in such demand while at the booth.

He has a lot of fans! If his Facebook and Twitter followers aren't real enough numbers for you, his panels' attendance numbers are also very high.

You know Hall H, where they show Avengers panels at SDCC? I think Kevin fills that (I have never braved it). The big hall at NYCC was also more or less full when we went there to see him two years ago.

Also, JayBob and Mooby's cosplayers are everywhere at the cons.

I like that they went with the ability to pose beyond the limitations of the Minimate design, it reminds me of the cool Lego Batman poses from the games.

LEGO_Batman.jpg

Not even my Lego alarm clock can do that!