UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Vinimates – 4" Vinyl Minimates

MisterPL

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, DSTZach said:

They were made just for DST,  there are only 250 of each. But if any don't sell, it's possible they'll end up in our store. Not sure what we'd have to do to get them set up for retailer ordering, they're not like the shared exclusives.

Apart from the Wick character I'd be fairly confident that the other characters will sell out .

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup: I was initially concerned that this might pass me by ........being unique an' exclusive an' all .........will I be able to obtain one ?

Na

Yeah.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Kingdom-Hearts-Sora-ViniMates-Figure-Target-Exclusive-saug19-329/383169977033?epid=2296163129&hash=item5936b5dac9:g:jewAAOSwUShdiSDb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think one was cancelled before the other was offered. So probably not. It's not like the overall orders were split between the two. 

I just assume the Bruce Lee fan base is not interested in stylized representations, and/or MInimates fans (or the retailers who stock them) are not interested in Bruce Lee. 

Or, y'know, marketing failure. Blame me, I guess.

Bruce Lee is a pretty dynamic character. I'd hope that action figures would do well so given the choice between Minimates and larger vinyl statues or Minimates, fans would go with something poseable. But that's me. Statues probably do better than any category DST offers.

I honestly don't collect Vinimates. I only buy a few odd ones here and there of the characters I really like. I ordered the Bruce Lee Vinimates and minimates, because minimates are the main toy-line that I collect religiously.  When they were first listed I tried to get friends to order them and most told me they wouldn't order them because they weren't a line dedicated to a specific movie.  There was no prospect of Mister Han or Mantis sometime down the line so they wouldn't invest.  Maybe if they were set with Bruce and someone from whatever movie his figure is based off Vinimates and Minimates would sell or at least get the attention of casual collectors and retailers.  I don't know.  These cancellations just make me both sad and really wish that Diamond Select would look into doing a Kickstarter or something so the people that really want these characters would have a chance to get them and not always look at the lines with doom and gloom.

6 hours ago, AugieWargo said:

When they were first listed I tried to get friends to order them and most told me they wouldn't order them because they weren't a line dedicated to a specific movie.  There was no prospect of Mister Han or Mantis sometime down the line so they wouldn't invest.

Interesting and totally understandable. Like offering a 4-pack of Batman Minimates from different flicks but with no guarantee that collectors would ever be offered villains or supporting characters.

I'm guessing DST has the Bruce Lee license, not licenses for the individual films. That precludes them from offering product featuring any other characters. (Not that Minimates require likeness rights.)

We have Bruce rights, not film rights. Box set was what it could be.

Not sure why those Vinimate looks were chosen, I assume it was an agreement with licensor.

Kickstarter would be great, and has been discussed for stronger products, I'm just not sure the response for these sets would exceed retailer orders. We're not doom and gloom, there just comes a point where we can't produce a set due to low orders. Minimum factory order numbers would mean a LOT of unsold sets that need to be paid for. There are several older VM and MM sets we went ahead with that we still have inventory on. At some point we need to draw a line. 

Edited by DSTZach

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, DSTZach said:

Found some Invader Zim Extra Doom Two-Packs from SDCC, put them in the store:

https://shop.diamondselecttoys.com/invader-zim-vinimates-extra-doom-vinyl-figure-2-pack

I'm just bumping this thread to clarify that these sold out some days ago but never fear 12 are now available from a well-known eBay seller . 

Exclusive ? My arse.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, DSTZach said:

Found some Invader Zim Extra Doom Two-Packs from SDCC, put them in the store:

https://shop.diamondselecttoys.com/invader-zim-vinimates-extra-doom-vinyl-figure-2-pack

The moment I saw that link I immediately went to the Diamond Store mostly out of curiosity because I already have the SDCC 2019 vinimate  exclusives .  The Diamond site is like several other online sites & it is fairly easy to discover the potential number of items in 'stock' .  

I can't confirm the actual figures in stock but I can confirm that I could have potentially bought a 'limited to 6' amount of them, as of this morning my 'cart' still clearly shows 6 items ......although they are ,of course, now 'out of stock' .    

On 2/27/2020 at 11:32 PM, DSTZach said:

We'll  be at Emerald City Comic-Con next month with two Vinimates exclusives, including a Pennywise variant!

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/2020/02/diamond-select-toys-and-gentle-giant-ltd-invade-emerald-city-comic-con/

[Record scratch]

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03/05/retailer-breakfast-and-diamond-select-toys-cancel-at-eccc-over-coronavirus-fears/

That's sad news but ,TBQH, totally understandable . There is much I could add about the coronavirus 'situation' but this is not the place for such a discussion.

In the scale of things discussing the 2 vinimate ECCC exclusives may now seem irrelevant or irreverent but questions need to be asked ...........this is the place for such a discussion.

I'm guessing that the 2 exclusives will have their packaging re-branded via a label & will see the light of day elsewhere one day ? 250 of each?

Every cloud has a silver lining & if DST are listening & are looking to find someone who would take these on .......look no further :jawdrop: .......I'll buy them ,all of them.

Edited by buttheadsmate