UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel's Secret Wars Event ****SPOILERS****

I read the first issue, but am now left scratching my head. So I understand that there is no longer a 616 Earth or Ultimate Universe Earth left (or any other reality). From there I am a bit confused though. Have random heroes from all these different realities been put on Battleworld? I don't understand how they were all chosen to be there. Also, what do they do now that they are there. It is called Battleworld for a reason I assume. Are all the different Spidermans, Hulks, Wolverines going to be forced to fight to the death with each other with the last one remaining allowed to return to some new Earth? I'm soooo confused right now. Also am I to assume that all the storylines that been going on in the past two years are meaningless? I was never a big Hulk fan but loved the new Hulk series. I really like the Doc Green character. Is the big Iceman is gay shocker just a quick story to gain attention in the media? Will the gay Bobby be gone once Secret Wars is done? Was it just a publicity stunt? Can anyone fill me in on what the hell is actually going on?

Here is my take. after just skiming. ITS SHIT!

I'm not a major comic reader as I used to be but it must be more then a coincidence that Marvel/Disney and DC/WB are both at the same time going to reset their universes. DC are playing catch up movie wise to set their charcters up (DC TV wise rocks Flash/Arrow)

Marvel/Disney or I will just say Disney when it comes to the comics are to me systematicly burying/killing whatever years of history because they dont own the rights to certain movie franchises.

I liked the Ultimate U comics as it was a fresh take and understand taking the movies from it (The MU cartoon stuff rocks) but deep down I hope that both compniers reset again.

I don't see this as disney burying xmen or fantastic four, seeing as Reed Richard and Cyclops and Doctor Doom are at the center of this right now.

Loved the first issue, Esad Ridic's art is gorgeous as is Hickmans presentation (as usual). Will post more in depth thoughts hopefully clearing some stuff up, once I get home from work

Here is my take. after just skiming. ITS SHIT!

I'm not a major comic reader as I used to be but it must be more then a coincidence that Marvel/Disney and DC/WB are both at the same time going to reset their universes. DC are playing catch up movie wise to set their charcters up (DC TV wise rocks Flash/Arrow)

Marvel/Disney or I will just say Disney when it comes to the comics are to me systematicly burying/killing whatever years of history because they dont own the rights to certain movie franchises.

I liked the Ultimate U comics as it was a fresh take and understand taking the movies from it (The MU cartoon stuff rocks) but deep down I hope that both compniers reset again.

I was actually going to start a thread about Secret Wars and Convergence... if I understand correctly, Convergence is DC giving up on the New 52, right? So Marvel is doing a New 52-esque reboot at the same time DC is giving up on their reboot, right?

jck.gif

Convergence is not doing away with the new 52, it is a multiversal story but the new 52 continuity is remaining, just being rebranded.

Marvel is not rebooting, they are literally dropping a bomb on their multiverse, it's much more akin to the original crisis Dc did

after several years worth of bad Marvel events, it was nice to see one start off with a bang. i think it'd be pretty rough for anyone who hasn't followed Hickman's Avengers run to get what the hell exactly was going on, but i thought it was a pretty damn good 1st issue. i really like that they are setting Doctor Doom up to potentially be the "hero" of this story as he, Molecule Man, and Dr. Strange face off against the Beyonders. i also enjoyed Colossus and Hulk teaming up for a fastball special. the best moment though was definitely the Punisher showing up to ruin Kingpin's end of the world party.

Really the only way to reboot Marvel at this point is for to destroy everything, fire everyone, tear up all contracts, shutter the doors for two to three months, and then hire all new staff based on their actual art/writing ability rather than perceived ability and name branding. Then reset continuity to the end of the first Secret War. With that base begin create an overarching time-line that gets the multiverse to 2015 and then start telling good stories once again. Maybe even have a monthly Marvel Histories comic that focuses on a different character or team each month to fill in important events that took place in the missing years keeping to the established time-line structure.

It's universal resets like this that kept me from being a fan DC Comics. If something is working don't fix it, if it isn't working figure out why don't just dump it and reset with a new issue 1 and expect it to work. This event just seems like taking all the leftovers out of the fridge, putting them in the blender, and hoping something useful comes out the other end after the stomach pump.

End of rant

On the upside I'm liking some of the new characters/looks (Avengers 2099) from this and hopefully eventually (once we have Man-Thing, Squirrel Girl, Nighthawk, et al) some of these looks will turn up as most wanted minimates.

Marvel is not rebooting, they are literally dropping a bomb on their multiverse, it's much more akin to the original crisis Dc did

How are you making this distinction? I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was pretty much the definition of a reboot. . .

Secret Wars is NOT a reboot. Think about it like this:

-616 Tony is a jerk. Let's kill him and swap him with Ultimate Tony.

-616 Cap is old, so let's kill him and have Falcon remain as Cap.

-616 Falcon is Cap, so let's bring in Ultimate Falcon to replace "him".

-616 Spider-Man needs to grow up, so let's retire him and keep Miles as the main Spidey.

-AoA Sabretooth is pretty cool, let's bring him over to the regular Marvel U.

So now you have one universe with characters from various other realities.

These are all hypothetical scenarios, but this is what's going to more or less happen. As for the event itself, I LOVED it. Hickman's saga may have had a few misteps along the way, but he's been planning it since, 2009 I think and through various titles. That alone makes an achievement.

So it's less of a reboot and more of an interdimensional cherry-picking?

Pretty much this. Honestly, while I'll always prefer the 616 characters, I love the UU as well, so I'm not complaining. Thing is, aside from a few A-B listers getting replaced, characters like Hellstrom, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Shadow King, Ronan and other lesser known characters won't be harmed, so there's that. Either way, the Ultimate characters have been close to their 616 version for a few years now, so it won't make that much of a difference.

It kind of makes a giant difference.

To some yes, to others......not so much. Honestly, the internet just can't pick a side:

They do things more accessible by promoting the classic characters and it's "catering to the movies". They shake things up with NuThor and FalCap, and they complain that they are "catering to the newbies".

They choose to follow with a giant event like SW and they complain it's not new-reader friendly. They announce ANADA which new-reader friendly and they complain that they have forgotten about the classics.

As for me, as long as the costumes are cool and the stories are good, I'll keep on reading. Besides, as I said, no history will be erased. Some characters will die and some will join from other universes, but the history will remain intact. Rumour has it that the new Iron Man is the Tony AI from Superior, who's Tony from before CW, which will make lotsa folks happy.

I get it that some hold certain characters close to their hearts, but it's not like these are the same "people" from 50 years ago. Spider-Man is a Devil dealing man-child, Cap is a stubborn fool and Tony is a self righteous prick. Plus, the JGS-Men are total c*nts.

I guess I don't see the point in trying so hard to avoid the word reboot when it seems very likely it's going to accomplish many of the things that people would dislike about a reboot. "We're going to murder a bunch of the characters you like and replace them with ones you don't" doesn't seem a whole lot better.

I guess I don't see the point in trying so hard to avoid the word reboot when it seems very likely it's going to accomplish many of the things that people would dislike about a reboot. "We're going to murder a bunch of the characters you like and replace them with ones you don't" doesn't seem a whole lot better.

We don't know if they will die though. If anything we might get some extra characters from other dimensions, which ain't so bad. I guess we'll see.

I was paging through this at the comic book store today, and... isn't this just a ripoff of Crisis on Infinite Earths? There's a bunch of parallel Earths being destroyed by a mysterious white wall of energy. Eventually, we are going to end up with a new Earth that is an amalgam of the old ones. Am I missing something?

Nice art though.

ya, seems to be a sorta parallel to the "8 months till time runs out" story that set it off

Issue 1 and 2 have been incredible, cant wait for the start of the battleworld books this week!