UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Yea, Another Star Wars Thread...

The expression "Never say never "  was perhaps recorded in a Charles Dickens novel in 1837 (thank you Google) .  I'm not a well-read person but even I know that that guy wrote several great books , several , not one or two .   "Never say never" aint gonna bring in new blood to a toy-line hovering on the edge in an industry hovering on the edge in a world hovering on the edge.

"Please ,sir, I want some more" is maybe what our mutual friend, Chuck Dickens ought to be saying to Disney despite the hard times down at bleak house in tiny Tim-onium.

I have always had great expectations for the minimate line but lately it seems that you can rarely find them for sale except in an old curiosity shop. 

Minimate fans?

"We were always more or less miserable" ;)

....is not how I want to remember my Minimate collecting days.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry fans are miserable. We've put out a lot of product over a long period of time, and we still offer regular releases, which is more than can be said for some lines. Hopefully people are pleased with near-future license announcements, which may well reinvigorate the brand. 

I just thought I'd weigh in on something that was unlikely to happen. Disney may ask for these tomorrow, but they have very limited history with the Minimates brand. Two Marvel box sets and a line of Peter Pan? I think that's it. 

Edited by DSTZach

Disney is an evil company. I can't state this strongly enough

If Disney did allow Star Wars minimates, it would be all their new lame characters. They ruined the OT characters so they wouldn't have to pay George any license fees for merchandise.

You guys are all dreaming of Luke and Leia and Vader. What you would get is Poe and Rae and Rose. What wants that s#it? Maybe some of you? Definitely not me.

And even if they did make the stuff we want, you'd be giving money to a company that turned Luke into a guy who seriously considers murdering children in their sleep. Way to shepherd the franchise Disney. I have committed to do my best to never put another penny of my money in their evil pockets.

(Where to start...?)

Disney bought Lucasfilm lock, stock, and barrel. Uncle George gets zero revenue directly from merchandising. He has a ton of Disney stock, though.

Disney continues to push merchandise based on the previous trilogies. I'm currently looking forward to adding Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise to my collection soon. I already have a Bespin Escape Leia I'm happy with so I don't need her.

And while Disney may be the company that portrayed failed Jedi master Luke as a guy who almost killed his evil apprentice (not unlike how failed Jedi master Obi-Wan almost killed his evil apprentice), Uncle George was the guy who turned Anakin into a guy who literally murdered innocent children and still got redeemed

I'll take whatever Star Wars Minimates come my way, even ones based on The Star Wars Holiday Special. Hell, I already have this guy.

Clearly you are a bigger fan than I.

I had read somewhere that they were pushing the new stuff hard because George still got a cut of merchandising revenue for original characters and they would keep it all for merchandising new characters. I am unable to Google anything to back up this claim. Everything I can find says he sold EVERYTHING.

Thanks for setting me straight. I hate to be a spreader of misinformation.

However, Disney is still evil and Luke would never almost kill his nephew in his sleep. :)

12 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

However, Disney is still evil and Luke would never almost kill his nephew in his sleep. :)

And he didn't... from a certain point of view. ;)

For what it's worth, since what I considered to be a disappointing Episode VI back in '83, I've been less a fan and more of a student of the Star Wars films. I read a few of the novels and comics, thought they were okay as far as official fan-fic was concerned, and even contributed to the EU. The Clone Wars was the highlight of the prequel era for me and I got into Rebels just as the sequel trilogy hit. The Mandalorian was an acquired taste for me but I did enjoy Rogue One and Solo (although I'd still love to have seen Lord & Miller's take on that "troubled" flick). 

I just like cool, fun toys even if they're based on less than satisfying content. 

On 10/12/2020 at 7:29 AM, buttheadsmate said:

You are kidding ,Zach?  I'm guessing I've misunderstood your post ?  My bad.

The limited history between Disney & Minimates ?  :thud:     

I meant the Disney Store. Maybe there are more sets that I'm forgetting about?

7 hours ago, DSTZach said:

It's probably for the best that everybody also forgets 'Alice through the looking glass'  & 'Kingdom Hearts' Minimates .  Neither line is going to help DST get a Star Wars licence IMHO.  Then there's Muppet minimates which personify everything that I said in an earlier post in this thread.

I'll use Kermit for example . Kermit is the most easily recognisable character in the Muppet line , he is based, as you know on a wide-mouthed frog hand-puppet . His most-identifiable feature is his massive wide-open mouth which almost bisects his head when opened .  What did we get ? You know what we got <_<

The Muppet line was generally OK .  'OK' won't cut the mustard with prospective Star Wars fans .

DST have produced some beautiful Minimates , Star Wars Minimates are unlikely to be amongst them . 

22 hours ago, DSTZach said:

For my money there were the Two Avengers sets put out to coincide with the first movie (albeit mostly repacks, but with three solid exclusives), the elusive Future Foundation 4-pack and the Classic/Modern Heroic Age sets which (I think) shared shelf space with specialty shops. Other than that, the Peter Pan line is the only other Minimate representation to have gone through Disney Store shelves. 

6 hours ago, MisterPL said:

The question is, if DST had the license to make Star Wars Minimates, would they?

If they could, I think they would. At the very least they would try to solicit them like John Wick and Jackie Chan. Don’t get me started on Disney, The store, or the parks— my blood pressure can’t take it lol. I will never understand why minimates aren’t sold there or we don’t have park exclusives. It’s been 10 years since I went to IOA but I don’t remember them selling them there... plenty of Marvel Legends though... plllllllenty of Legends. 

4 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

If they could, I think they would. At the very least they would try to solicit them like John Wick and Jackie Chan. Don’t get me started on Disney, The store, or the parks— my blood pressure can’t take it lol. I will never understand why minimates aren’t sold there or we don’t have park exclusives. It’s been 10 years since I went to IOA but I don’t remember them selling them there... plenty of Marvel Legends though... plllllllenty of Legends. 

Universal sold some in IOA’s comic shop back in the Spider Man Friends and Foes (or whatever that Ock pack was called) days. Dunno if they have since. 

I know it hasn't happened very often (Pacific Rim: Uprising is the only one that leaps to mind) but I'm skeptical about DST getting a license that includes Minimates only to offer everything but Minimates. I have no problem imagining DST offering Select figures, dioramas, D-Formz, busts, and bottle openers but not Minimates.

Even then I can see them pulling a John Wick and starting with the second film... which is apparently what they're doing with the Select line. (Although technically Boba Fett now appears in A New Hope thanks to the Special Additions. ? )

22 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

Universal sold some in IOA’s comic shop back in the Spider Man Friends and Foes (or whatever that Ock pack was called) days. Dunno if they have since. 

? so all it took for them to carry the figures was me never going back? Figures. ??‍♂️.

• 1 year later...

I would hope, in my naivete, that the continued Marvel (a Disney property) MiniMate offerings would indicate that this isn't off the table, and that Disney would consider allowing DST to pursue the SW license for this format. 

But admittedly I don't know s$#t about what it takes to make this stuff happen.

I can dream!

• 2 weeks later...

Stealthily? I sent out a press release! We actually released Boba Fett and Darth Maul several months ago, and they got a lot of acclaim. More are on the way.

We are only allowed to make them for Disney Parks and ShopDisney.com (they are also online). IF other articulated SW figures were to happen, it would be for them. I don't think that is likely, though, as Disney has not bought Minimates since Peter Pan and the Future Foundation. 

Edited by DSTZach

See, I was thinking with Hasbro being the Master Toy Licensee (I think that is still the case) and with them working with DST on their intellectual properties, that they would see the potential in possibly allowing Star Wars Minimates. The fact that it is a different format from their Mission Fleet may allow for it to happen. 

Hopefully Hasbro, Disney and DST can play nice! (although it wouldn't be nice for my wallet charge card)

Edited by Onyx_6

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Stealthily? I sent out a press release! We actually released Boba Fett and Darth Maul several months ago, and they got a lot of acclaim. More are on the way.

We are only allowed to make them for Disney Parks and ShopDisney.com (they are also online). IF other articulated SW figures were to happen, it would be for them. I don't think that is likely, though, as Disney has not bought Minimates since Peter Pan and the Future Foundation. 

I literally had no idea these existed, so stealthy to me! They really are great figures.

I knew Disney Parks put out random droid figures every year that are sort of Hasbro-adjacent, but there would seem to be wisdom in offering additional lower-price collectible figures for kids/families who don't want to spring for the big ones. But I'm biased, and I want Star Wars MiniMates, so everything is going to look like a nail to this hammer.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:46 PM, Onyx_6 said:

The fact that it is a different format from their Mission Fleet may allow for it to happen. 

The fact that Mission Fleet vehicles and playsets might be compatible with Minimates could also allow for it to happen. The biggest reason I'm hanging on to the Galactic Heroes ships is in case we ever get Star Wars Minimates.