UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Yea, Another Star Wars Thread...

I just thought it might be worth bringing up again thanks to DST's new Star Wars busts, banks, and bottle openers, maybe there's a better chance of some minimates.

If this thread is unessesary, please admins get rid of it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

goodpost.gif Wrong franchise.

Star Wars Minimates would be very, very bad for my wallet.

I've been collecting Star Wars figures since 1978. That habit has been replaced with Minimates over the last couple years largely because I have pretty much all the 3 3/4" Star Wars figures I ever wanted. (I may have purchased four figures in 2014.)

If DST was able to offer Star Wars 'mates? Oof. I'd probably buy them all and never open them, anticipating them handling the assortments the same way they have Star Trek. dry.png

I know we've been told in the past that Lucasfilm wasn't interested in the category but Disney has given it a shot. Plenty of people got let go at LFL after the acquisition so there's a new hope, I suppose.

i see what you did there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I'm not a Star Wars fan,far from it,yet (almost) the jewel in the crown, in my fairly adequate collection of mini-figures, is my Star Wars kubrick collection . There are a few duds but many of them are just sublime .  I hate to say it (again) but I'm not sure DST could actually emulate the SW kubrick line .  Very few Star Wars kubricks actually have interchangeable parts whilst many of them are just unique, unchangeable characters .  It would seem to me that DST have been unchangeable for far too long relying too much on 'interchangeability'  which of course works well with many characters but is completely farcical in certain circumstances ...I'm yet again thinking of my old favourite 'Thing' with his tangerine barnet & orange head . What other minimate would benefit from the Thing's hairpiece ? The only character that would benefit would be a Thing with a matching coloured hairpiece & head forf**ksake :wallbash:

When I think of a prospective Chewbacca 'mate I kinda cringe when I conjure up in my mind's eye a Minimate much like Sasquatch or ( omigosh) Man Thing . Godsave us from those 2 monstrosities or something similar.

Moulded heads are almost de rigeur throughout the evolved SW kubrick line although when they did use a standard 'cylinder' they used it to great effect .....notably the Darth Vader with Luke's head 'secret' .   DST use moulded heads when they have to,or perhaps when all else fails .

Enough.

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.

From a design standpoint, yes, many Star Wars character designs would be very challenging. Original Trilogy, less so since most of those were simply people in costumes.

Still, I'd definitely NEED to see the line use multiple size bodies. Chewbacca needs to tower over Princess Leia. He's a lanky character so I can imagine him using extensions (an elongated torso, extended forearms and shins). But don't try to give me a Wampa that's not on a 3" body.

Characters like Artoo-Detoo would require special sculpts but could be reused to amortize the cost over the course of the license agreement.

The Minimate design rule book just needs to be put to one side rather than thrown away if these actually got the go-ahead.

Even Medicom couldn't quite bring themselves to do away with the trade-mark non-articulated kubrick arms & legs . Nigh on every SW figure has identically sized arms & legs, a kubrick Chewbacca is barely taller than a kubrick Leia !  

There is huge potential for a Star Wars minimate line , dozens of iconic characters but ,& it is a big BUT , each Minimate needs to become that character not just be a Minimate that looks a bit like a Star Wars character . 

A lot of the Kubrick SW designs are based on the old Kenner designs, which is cool.  However, a fresh approach might work. I think its all hot air really, but it would be a game changer for us as collectors.

I think it'd be a fun challenge to design Star Wars characters for the Minimates aesthetic. However, it would require a significant investment by DST. For every army-builder they leverage (Stormtrooper variants galore) there's the obscure background alien that requires a unique sculpt. 

I also have to wonder about playsets and vehicles. Hasbro's under-scaled, proportionately adjusted ships could work, either from the 1/18 scale line or Galactic Heroes. I'm not sure DST would need to offer anything beyond figures.

A Land-Speeder ,AT-ST & a Pro-bot were the BAFs in the....er.. aforementioned line. Jabba was another BAF & if you were lucky you had access to obtaining some pretty card dioramas.  There were of course Speeder-bike box sets .  I see no reason why DST couldn't accomplish any of the things we are mentioning .

I'd prefer more minifigure accessories included like blasters, lightsabers, alternate heads, energy effects, unique stands, small animals (like say Salacious Crumb, similar to how Rocket was handled as an accessory) over Build-A-Vehicle parts. Based on how Build-A-Figures were handled w/ Marvel, it felt like more pack-in accessories were sacrificed for the space to place BAF parts; though if that wasn't the case, this point is probably moot.

Unless the license would limit DST's ability to make vehicles like a landspeeder and sell it similar to how say the Aliens APC was packed, then I'd prefer things, like a landspeeder, speeder bike, Jabba, or probe droid to be included in say more deluxe style packs again akin to the Aliens line.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

1 hour ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Jabba the Hutt with Salacious Crumb and a dancer or guard definitely seems like it would be conducive to the Alien Queen pricepoint.

Jabba, Crumb, and Bikini Leia or Guard Lando or Blind Han sounds right. 
Bikini Leia being the right answer but I don’t know if they’re still marketing that outfit. 

59 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

Jabba, Crumb, and Bikini Leia or Guard Lando or Blind Han sounds right. 
Bikini Leia being the right answer but I don’t know if they’re still marketing that outfit. 

They are very much still marketing that outfit. She's simply gone from "Slave Leia" to "Hutt-Slayer Leia." ?

Even as someone who despises the gimmick, I could see blind-bagging an assortment of Stormtroopers but two of them are Luke and Han.

I just watched a video using the DST Boba Fett as the primary reason that Hasbro no longer has a monopoly on the Star Wars action figure license, which really only seemed far fetched because that "evidence" was then used to acknowledge that Lego will most definitely be making a series of Star Wars collectible blind bag figures.

...since this is basically the same thought process we've all followed, I encourage this thread to run rampant with speculation...