UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Suicide Squad movie (and general Leto Joker related discussion)

Saw it today, it was good. I'd give it a B.

not sure why the reviews are so bad, may be in part, that it's "cool" to hate on DC movies at the moment.

was it as a good as Civil War? No. Was it 100x better than BvS? Hell yes.

It's free of Synderisms, so no never ending slow mo, there's actually color,  people

aren't depressed/moody 24/7 and no Jesus/superman stuff.

The group works well together and is actually likeable (well except for Boomerang,he's just an ass).

Will smith is great as Deadshot, Leto is ok as Joker. He's not in it much but he's no Ledger or Nicholson. Waller is a bitch, like she should be, no Green Lantern Wallerhere.

The story isn't complicated and there's a few clunky edits, but it's entertaining and the acting/characters are good. I'd be in for a sequel.

There is an after-credit scene, which is worth staying for.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it yesterday, probably wont post too many thoughts here, if you're friends with me on Facebook you've probably seen my numerous rants about it.

Overall i'd give the movie a sold 5/10 there are parts that I think are fantastically perfect. 

But the rest of the movie is so shallowly racist, so horribly sexist, and so grossly ablest that I cant in good conscious endorse it to friends.

The Squad was well done, but the story was pretty bad, and it's pretty clear with awkward edits that there were two movies going on.  I think at one point Deadshot says something about the flying circle of garbage.  That's how I felt about the plot too.  May as well have just named the villains McGuffin.  I thought the licensed music was will chosen and fit well, but the original score was really off.  It was still very enjoyable just to watch the squad in action.  Waller was perfect.  Far from a perfect start, but I'm looking forward to their next outing.  

Oh, tons of people clapped when it ended and there was lots of laughing throughout.  I think for all of this movies faults, the critics aren't connecting with moviegoers.

Edited by Turtle

Wow... I didn't think I could dislike a movie this much. I mean good lord. I really didn't like the new ghostbusters but I mean.... Dang. Is putting out bad movies a thing now? The extended cut of BVS got me sort of excited for the DCCU but this went and ruined it. 

Edit: OF COURSE THEY LET THE GUY FROM THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS TO WRITE AND DIRECT! Shouldn't expect anything less than excellence from that guy???

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

14 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

I saw it last night.  I thought it was...okay.

I thought Deadshot and Waller were great.  Harley Quinn was pretty good.  I didn't really care for The Joker.

I thought the main villains were kind of lame.

Totally agree with this. 

Random Thoughts:

• This was Deadshot's movie.
  • Slipknot should have worn a red shirt.
  • There was no reason for Harley to be on the team.
  • The score was forgettable but the soundtrack was much better.
  • Anyone hoping for a DC Comics version of Ocean's Eleven is going to be a bit disappointed.

I'm convinced that a very good Suicide Squad movie exists and is being kept from me by WB execs who went to school for law or business and never shot a frame of film in their careers. Hopefully another version of this film makes its way to home video because it's pretty obvious there were some significant cuts made, one or two in particular that had me asking, "Okay, where did THEY come from?"

There were definitely a lot of cuts made to this film and I totally expect a "Joker's Cut (with 52% more Joker)" to be released. Overall it was better than I expected; not great but a decent film. Story was choppy at best as you'd have snarky humorous parts then an abrupt stop and right to a serious dark part or a mundane scene with everyone just standing there like they had no clue what was the next line; there was no flow. But I honestly think they did a good job picking the actors for the characters*. Waller, Deadshot & El Diablo really stood out IMO. I would like to see more of the entire team (with hopefully better script writers).

*on the fence about the Joker, he worked in this film but reserve full judgement until he's in a proper Batman movie

Did El Diablo die at the end? It looked like he did but he was still showing active on Waller's phone when she walked out.