UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

I'm guessing the hope here wasn't for different looks, but a chance for old classic comic accurate looks

Ding Ding DIng. Also a nice official release of Morph (or at least and X-Man team jacket and maybe some other missed characters or updated ones so that people that missed out on the 90's X-Men could get another chance,

I watched a few of the new Spider-Man cartoon and see that A.I.M. Troopers make an appearance, albeit in a more modern look. Under the Animated license, would it be possible to release the animated version with a pack-in “bekeeper” helmet for an alternate classic look? Or is the Animated line pretty much bare-bones?

7 hours ago, MrClean said:

I watched a few of the new Spider-Man cartoon and see that A.I.M. Troopers make an appearance, albeit in a more modern look. Under the Animated license, would it be possible to release the animated version with a pack-in “bekeeper” helmet for an alternate classic look? Or is the Animated line pretty much bare-bones?

We've included removable masks, but not really any significant costume changes 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting rumor popping up about the end of Marvel cartoons. https://www.cbr.com/marvel-reportedly-shutting-down-work-on-animated-series/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=list

take it with a grain of salt, of course. But if it’s true, I wonder how this would affect Minimates

Zach, I don’t suppose you have any light you could potentially shed on the situation?

I would assume that the end of any animated series would likely signify the start of another in the near future.
There has been some kind of animated Marvel property on offer pretty consistently over the last 20 years. I'm sure we won't go too long without something for Walgreens minimates to be based on. 

This feels like part of Disney's overall Marvel reboot. With the Fox acquisition looming and the MCU in need of a fresh start, it's possible that Marvel Animation will be permanently shuttered with animation chores falling under the very capable Disney umbrella. Hopefully everyone involved in making these series successful will land on their feet.

As for Walgreens, if they can't have cartoon characters maybe they'd be willing to try a video game like Contest of Champions.

It sounds like they're still producing/wrapping up the seasons they're currently working on, even if their future beyond that is up in the air, so I'd think the minimates could stay afloat at least a little while longer.

Hopefully Walgreens has been doing well enough with them that they'll continue to pick some sort of minimates up, if not the animated line. We've already seen them dabble in a few movie lines.

In any event, I doubt it's the death of all Marvel cartoons, longterm, even if it is the death of Marvel cartoons as we currently know them. It's happened before, it will likely happen again. I look forward to the days in the not-too-far-off future when we might get a good X-Men cartoon again. Wolverine and the X-Men died well before its time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you guys saw, but in advance of Series 8 hitting on April 1, Walgreens is having a Buy One, Get One sale on all Marvel Animated Minimates. 

We'll reveal Series 9 closer to the Series 8 release. Not aware of any changes at this time. It's a cool wave, too. One GOTG set, one Avengers set, two Spidey sets. I think you'll like it, as there's one fairly comic-accurate character you've only gotten from a movie, and one fairly movie-accurate character that you've only gotten as a comic version. Plus some other cool cartoon-specific designs. 

Edited by DSTZach

54 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Not sure if you guys saw, but in advance of Series 8 hitting on April 1, Walgreens is having a Buy One, Get One sale on all Marvel Animated Minimates.

That aligns with Disney stopping production at Marvel Animation. Clear out the obsolete inventory. Still looking forward to the new Spidey stuph. The designs are fun.

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

...as there's one fairly comic-accurate character you've only gotten from a movie, ... 

Harry Osborne? One movie minimate, he's the new cartoon, and never a comic counterpart. Of course, I'm not up to date on any of the current animated series either.