UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... I usually tend to be an animated minimates apologist, haha. And by that I mean, some people around here often say things like, "Grr! I want a comic book version of this character! I hate this animated one!" and I'm like, "This animated one... looks almost exactly how I'd expect a comic book minimate to look, other than some mild shading. This is a perfectly fine version of this character, and I endorse it."

... I can't do that for this wave. In good conscience. Haha.

Jackal looks wonky to me. I wish he was just a standard minimate body, no powerhouse chest, no animal legs, and I wish they'd stop re-using the ultimate Green Goblin head for characters who aren't Green Goblin. The Silhouette just strikes me as Green Goblin instantly, and looks wrong on other characters. I get that they're trying to use it as a generic pointy-eared head... but I think they'd be better off just making a new pointy eared head... probably with straight more elfy/werewolfy ears. Those little curvy-bends in that one's ears just... instantly look like Ult. Green Goblin to me.

I admittedly love Wasp... this is going to be my new Default Wasp, just being less retro than older ones. Probably with the mask off, but I like the mask on too. Makes me excited to see future versions that will most certainly be coming when the next movie hits.

I hate Modok, he looks like an angry can of soup. I think they made him cylindrical to evoke the shape of a minimate head, but it doesn't work imo. I vastly prefer MvC3 Modok, and will continue to use him as my default Modok. MvC3 Modok was perfect for such an odd-shaped Minimate.

Madame Masque... this is not the Madame Masque I know. This is not the Madame Masque of my youth... haha. I'm wondering if you put the hairpiece on top of the masked head, if it would evoke a look that was a little more comic book esque... I'm probably going to do that. I hope there's a peg hole in the masked head, so that's actually possible. If not I will be vexed. But yeah. This is going to be one of those minimates that just bugs me for not being a passable comic book version and makes me want a 616 minimate all the more. (See my Grey Gargoyle comments in the Avengers Villain Poll Thread, haha)

I don't know who Screwball is. Someone tell me please. Is she created for the cartoon, or an actual comic character I'm just not familiar with?

Black Panther looks solid. His little ears are kinda cute. I'm not sure if cute is good or bad on a superhero, haha. Peter and Gwen are alright... hard to get excited, have better versions of both those costumes, but they're the anchor characters, so I get it. No complaints. They accomplish what they're supposed to, haha.

22 minutes ago, Gillbob316 said:

I don't know who Screwball is. Someone tell me please. Is she created for the cartoon, or an actual comic character I'm just not familiar with?

Hopefully this series of Spider-Man Minimates comes with character bios because, to be honest, that's about as much as I know about 80% of these characters. I'm a DC guy.

S8StealthSuitSpiderMan_Screwball-960x552

S8SpiderGwen_Jackal-960x552.jpg

S8Wasp_MODOK-960x552.jpg

S8WhitneyFrost_BlackPanther-960x552.jpg

Screwball made her debut (I think) in amazing Spider-Man, in the late 500s I believe. She would have someone following her and filming her as she did "villainous" things. She was pretty goofy, so perfect for an animated show. She looks pretty much like that in the comics from what I remember 

The female representation is awesome! And that Wasp is soooooooo close to the 616 Wasp I want that it hurts. 
I might just have to buy her and see if she'll fit in with the 616 Avengers 'mates.

I had to Google to be sure Screwball was a girl and not a man... I don’t watch the show but is she plain like that? Not even a lipstick?

Wasp looks pretty close to her comic version if you keep her with the hair piece. Madame Masque looks like a robot to me...

A little too cartoony for my tastes guys... and I GET it. They're based on a cartoon, but these seem particularly basic to me. I guess the Black Panther looks okay, but why would I pick him up when the movie versions look better and come out around the same time. Modok is a definite downgrade from the last one LOL. Sad. I wanted a Jackal and a modern Wasp, but I think I'm going to have to pass on these. :( 

Sorry people don't like them! They are not intended to be substitutes for movie figures or even 616 characters, and I don't think they seem more simplified than other animated Minimates. That said, I think that most would look fine in a 616 collection, except Jackal and Masque. And Jackal is pretty cartoon accurate. 

latest?cb=20170721040627

I still need a spider gwen so will try an pick this up. Spidey is ok but just bland. Screwball could pass for comic style from what I remember but  the mouth on that figure just completely ruins it for me.

When I first saw Jackel I didn't realize who it was but the ears an mohawk scream Stripe from gremlins .

I don't know much about modern wasp so not much to say except I can see a female beetle custom in there if someone gets inspired. Modok and Masque are both butt fuggin ugly and I wish I could remove the images from my memory if that Modok was in the running for this years worst minimate award it would get my vote.

Panther is a nice figure and could go into a modern 616 display.

All in all one figure I would like, one figure I wouldn't mind and the rest either burn or just not bothered by

Is this wave a delayed April fools joke? It says they are out April 1, 2017. Like, 7 months ago.

And all of them do look accurate to the tv cartoon versions. Although, I don’t recall having seen either Spider-people in the show, yet?

Screwball, in the cartoon, is Liz Allen. She is a prankster who tries too hard to prank Spidey after she feels he upstaged her on her show.

Man, when people on the MMMV are saying meaner things about Minimates than commenters on the Marvel Facebook page, there's something wrong somewhere. No need to burn a figure just because you don't like it. 

And the MODOK is, again, pretty accurate to the cartoon, although it looks like Barry went with a more cylindrical head because, hey, Minimates. If you want a comic accurate, relatively "realistic" MODOK, we've done that, too.

Should be 2018. Not a hoax, not an imaginary story, just a typo. 

avengers-assemble-red-skull-modok-web.jp

Edited by DSTZach