UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, stack32 said:

That hair, plus Zach's comment in the POP thread mean we have to be getting a comic Medusa soon, right?

I wouldn't surprised if this was what he was referencing in the POP thread, but reusing that big, complex hair sculpt does seem like a possibility. I wouldn't mind another one, especially if it was at LCS.

I think this figure definitely works as modern comic Medusa (especially with First Class Jean's head, that was a good call). However, if what you wanted was a classic Kirby Medusa, I can also see how this wouldn't scratch that itch.

I meant this Medusa. Remember, I think that most complaints of animated vs. comic are utterly ridiculous. If she had green hair and blue skin, I would probably not think she was a suitable alternative, but this is Medusa to me. Not a masked villain Medusa, but she's had a lot of looks since then.

No 616 Medusa planned.

And it's so interesting to me how some people are pro-slip-on mask and others are not. I like both!

Edited by DSTZach

I should have clarified better in my last post but yes, it's classic Medusa I'm looking for. If I was interested in a modern look, this one would work for me.

The way minimates are built, with a hair piece that fits on top of the base head, I personally feel masks should be an accessory just like the hair. It keeps everything consistent. Characters like Dr Spectrum look out of place next to a character with hair or an actual mask.

I just want a classic 616 Medusa to go with my classic 616 Black Bolt. I'll take the animated versions, too. I just like teams that are complete and in a consistent style. 

This is will be the second time DST has started The Inhumans. 

6 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

I should have clarified better in my last post but yes, it's classic Medusa I'm looking for. If I was interested in a modern look, this one would work for me.

The way minimates are built, with a hair piece that fits on top of the base head, I personally feel masks should be an accessory just like the hair. It keeps everything consistent. Characters like Dr Spectrum look out of place next to a character with hair or an actual mask.

Thanks I'll never look at non slipovers the same again :/

You still think/feel this way about Spider-Man characters without slipovers? On blackbolt it absolutely looks ridiculous because he needs a protruding tuning fork but it didn't bother me as much with masks like spidey's 

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Thanks I'll never look at non slipovers the same again :/

You still think/feel this way about Spider-Man characters without slipovers? On blackbolt it absolutely looks ridiculous because he needs a protruding tuning fork but it didn't bother me as much with masks like spidey's 

I think it's more so when a face can be seen under the mask. A slipover mask adds more depth than non-slipover masks.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

Spidey sort of gets a pass because I never really have him standing next to anyone. I've always got him hanging upside down or swinging above. He and Jessica Spider-Woman are the only spider characters I display. I did think Iron Spidey and 2099 had small heads.

Didn't an older Spidey come with an all blue slipover? May have to dig that out and see if it could work for Spectrum.

32 minutes ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

Didn't an older Spidey come with an all blue slipover? May have to dig that out and see if it could work for Spectrum.

Insulated spidey. Hopefully he's not as expensive as his packaging partner. I really don't get why we haven't had a rerelease of classic electro and scorpion. I mean his daughter or a female electro was in asm not too long ago. You'd think they could have had a domino/copycat sitch with an extra chest block and head for a two in one. 

57 minutes ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

I think it's more so when a face can be seen under the mask. A slipover mask adds more depth than non-slipover masks.

This.

Both Captain Britains look wrong to me, as do the slipover Spideys and Deadpools. 

There are exceptions. Destiny and Insulated Spider-Man work because their masks are bulkier, and Avengers #1 Giant-Man and Goliath have bigger heads.

I'd prefer it if Speed Demon had a sculpted mask (especially since then you could swap his head out for a comic accurate one), but it doesn't bother me that much because his mask is skintight.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

23 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Remember, I think that most complaints of animated vs. comic are utterly ridiculous.

Amen.

22 hours ago, stack32 said:

Well, hey, thanks for the confirmation along with the insult.

Sorry if you are insulted by my opinion. I have stated it before. I was surprised when you thought I was talking about some second Medusa and not the Medusa we just announced.

I'm sure we'll see more Inhumans in some form.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, DSTZach said:

I meant this Medusa. Remember, I think that most complaints of animated vs. comic are utterly ridiculous. If she had green hair and blue skin, I would probably not think she was a suitable alternative, but this is Medusa to me. Not a masked villain Medusa, but she's had a lot of looks since then.

No 616 Medusa planned.

And it's so interesting to me how some people are pro-slip-on mask and others are not. I like both!

I'm normally an apologist for animated looks as sufficient for 616, but in this case the costume is significantly different from the classic version(s). Though I'll probably buy this one & try to QC a classic look.

For the record, I'll add my voice to those humbly suggesting that the Inhumans are important enough as a team to merit truly classic executions, to go along with their brethren in the Avengers, X-Men et al. They wore their classic looks for a couple decades at least, so I hope DST is able, eventually, to get to them. Even if it's a slow trickle (e.g. Black Bolt and Lockjaw). 

But also for the record, DST has not abandoned us fans of the classics by any means (see: wave 68, wave 69, XvBrotherhood box set...), so I'm sure with a steadily decreasing target list of bronze age Marvels, we'll eventually see these 'mates.

19 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

This.

Both Captain Britains look wrong to me, as do the slipover Spideys and Deadpools. 

There are exceptions. Destiny and Insulated Spider-Man work because their masks are bulkier, and Avengers #1 Giant-Man and Goliath have bigger heads.

I'd prefer it if Speed Demon had a sculpted mask (especially since then you could swap his head out for a comic accurate one), but it doesn't bother me that much because his mask is skintight.

There is clearly a pretty blurred line for what I consider to look good/bad in terms of slipover vs. non-slipovers. I agree completely about Capt. Britain, the one with slipover looks like his head is too big. The one without slipover looks like his head is too small. I think this a perfect example of where a molded mask comes in.

There are plenty of great examples of molded masks/helmets that I think look excellent in the minimates range; Pyro, Avalanche, Captain America (except for Bucky Cap in LCS 25), Cyclops, Wolverine (except for the FA version in TRU 22), Iron Fist, Daredevil etc.

I think there's also a point that  mates with masks and hair typically look better with a regular  head with mask, and then a hair accessory over that, examples include; White Tiger (Angela), Moonstone, and Captain Mar-Vell.

There are also lots of slipover masks that I think have worked well but particularly on fully masked heroes/villains where a regular head could also be used as a mask; Spider-Man, Deadpool, FA Iron Man. 

I think the best example (and clear improvement by DST on this point) is the difference between LCS 29 Hydra Agent and   LCS 54 Hydra Elite. The molded mask does the Hydra Agent much more justice here than a slipover, plus it still gives us an option for a classic look underneath (something the wave 29 version also did).

Edited by OvenproofBug6

1 hour ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

There is clearly a pretty blurred line for what I consider to look good/bad in terms of slipover vs. non-slipovers. I agree completely about Capt. Britain, the one with slipover looks like his head is too big. The one without slipover looks like his head is too small. I think this a perfect example of where a molded mask comes in.

There are plenty of great examples of molded masks/helmets that I think look excellent in the minimates range; Pyro, Avalanche, Captain America (except for Bucky Cap in LCS 25), Cyclops, Wolverine (except for the FA version in TRU 22), Iron Fist, Daredevil etc.

I think there's also a point that  mates with masks and hair typically look better with a regular  head with mask, and then a hair accessory over that, examples include; White Tiger (Angela), Moonstone, and Captain Mar-Vell.

There are also lots of slipover masks that I think have worked well but particularly on fully masked heroes/villains where a regular head could also be used as a mask; Spider-Man, Deadpool, FA Iron Man. 

I think the best example (and clear improvement by DST on this point) is the difference between LCS 29 Hydra Agent and   LCS 54 Hydra Elite. The molded mask does the Hydra Agent much more justice here than a slipover, plus it still gives us an option for a classic look underneath (something the wave 29 version also did).

I agree with all of these examples except slipover Spidey and Deadpool. They don't look awful, but I think they'd work better just painted on. It makes them look less bobblehead-y.

FA Iron Man (and all other slipover IMs) make sense to me because he's wearing an armoured helmet, not a skintight mask. Homecoming Iron Man's painted on mask looks too small to me. ANAD Iron Man has a bit of this too, but if any armour could get away it, it'd be ANAD. It's a little annoying that Ironheart didn't keep the style consistent with her helmet, but I guess she needed more space for her hair than Tony did.

Iron Fist looks more like Ham Fist..... & ............ Spidey ? He perhaps could have given Buster Posey sleepless nights...... if he could crouch :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

This.

Both Captain Britains look wrong ...........however...... try placing the slip-over from the W31 version onto the Excalibur version :lol: 

On 7/15/2017 at 6:37 AM, Gillbob316 said:

Honest to god, I genuinely thought that Abomination was "Ultimate" Green Goblin until I read otherwise.

Yeah - i thought the same thing too, and didn't realise it wasn't until I read people mentioning the confusion. Goes to show that you should actually read the article and not just look at the pictures like i did. LOL.

Medusa's hair sculpt is great. I'm eager to see some more pics of her. I think there's enough detail in her costume to almost pass for a comic book version, so I'll happily buy her and display her until the royal family gets the full 616 treatment. 

Seriously though - that hair sculpt is amazing, and it being a base that elevates her off the ground is exactly what i was hoping it would do. A+ 

Edited by Nessex