UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TheMinimateKing30 said:

Honestly, the reveal of the X-Men '92 Minimates gives me a lotta hope in seeing a Spider-Man '94 wave down the line, since I have a great degree of nostalgic love for '90s Spider-Man.

I’d love to see a Doc Ock minimate in his costume from the 90s Spider-Man cartoon. I enjoyed most of those looks from the show, with the exception of Morbius. That look didn’t really wow me.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

I have no love for the X-Men animated series but for those who do, I'm hoping you already read about this.

I'm guessing the Minimates (and hopefully future assortments) will be more successful thanks to this news.

You glorious person. I had not heard of this until I saw your post. You have brought a smile to my crappy day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really excited for these 90s X-Men Mates. 

I just did a big re-watch of the entire series motivated by the very exciting announcement of the revival! 

Also those 90s X-Men minimates go steep on the after market so getting a chance to get a few of those looks at market place would be great!

This is a sad thing to loose the local locations to purchase Minimates.

While I have found a few on clearance at the local Walgreens, on store was still charging full price on them.

I don't mind buying them online and if I do purchase online, it is mainly from Luke's Toy Store.  However, I don't always have the means to order when they are in the prime and sometimes miss out on them unless they were available locally.

I do hope that DST is able to find other brick and mortar locations to distribute Minimates through so I have a chance to find them in the wild.  The hunt is sometimes how I get out of the office for fresh air and blow off steam.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, Captain Paco said:

This is a sad thing to loose the local locations to purchase Minimates.

While I have found a few on clearance at the local Walgreens, on store was still charging full price on them.

I don't mind buying them online and if I do purchase online, it is mainly from Luke's Toy Store.  However, I don't always have the means to order when they are in the prime and sometimes miss out on them unless they were available locally.

I do hope that DST is able to find other brick and mortar locations to distribute Minimates through so I have a chance to find them in the wild.  The hunt is sometimes how I get out of the office for fresh air and blow off steam.

Do you have a comic shop nearby? Hopefully more stores will carry the box sets. And now that we aren't doing assortments anymore, they will be easier to special order, assuming the store wants to make money. 

Yeah, this is news.  So 6 character box sets will replace the 2-pack assortments?  This will allow shops to only order what they need without having to worry about being stuck with extra stock.

Hopefully we can get more full teams out of this change, and not just a random assortment of characters in a bigger boxset.  

Graham Cracker Comics is a small shop that is in Uptown Normal, IL. They have other stores in the Chicago-land area or further north in Illinois, but I have never seen Minimates there.

Will Luke's Toy Store still get new waves of Minimates? I may be able to keep purchasing from Luke's site but really did like being able to get some locally.

I will see what I can talk to Graham Cracker Comics about since they may do that if they know I am going to purchase them.  Would like to see more minimates in the wild.

Does this mean the new F4 'wave' is going to be a six pack? 

I'm personally pro-six packs as I feel like that's been the direction waves have been going anyway from what i've seen and I am all for more tightly themed sets that build micro-collections quickly, rather than waiting years to fill-in holes. 

I am sad that build-a-figures didn't have a longer life as I do think that gimmick really worked for this particular figure line but I guess that'd be pretty irrelevant with a six-figure-box-set. 

I 'enjoy' toy packaging & it is completely understandable that ,from a marketing point of view, to give small toys greater presence in-store with big packaging .

I can also see that a specific SDCC promotion might cater for a specific buyer.

Bigger packaging however means nothing to somebody who has a toy-buying budget .....the 6 packs are $40 whilst the current Waves of 6 are $26  .  

Then there is shipping &, in this age of online-purchasing, shipping costs are a factor . It is hard not to wonder why* ,in a world where most everything is cuboidally packaged , DST have chosen a hexagonal prism. These 6 packs will ultimately be shipped with further fresh air in a yet bigger box , a cuboid package .  

*maybe it is just me that does the wondering ?

The hexagonal package is no longer happening, as far as I know. It was a brief dalliance. I have addressed this elsewhere. So people don't need to worry about how much air we are shipping, introducing foreign air into a new ecosystem. Any future six packs will be a new design.

Yes, anyone who does not want all six figures is in a pickle. But waves (they will be both waves and box sets, much like how light travels) will be more unified, meaning people will want the whole set. And the loss of any holdouts is a small price to pay for an expanded presence at retail. (There is at least one major retailer that simply will not buy assortments.) Two-packs were no longer profitable, especially with costs on the rise. Box set pricing is still being worked out, but we are trying to balance price with cool packaging and extras. 

Edited by DSTZach

On 12/4/2021 at 11:13 PM, DSTZach said:

(There is at least one major retailer that simply will not buy assortments.)

Really hoping that retailer doesn't start with a W because if it does then that means I'm likely done collecting minimates. That retailer's locations near me have dropped the ball on collectibles for a long time (well before COVID was even a factor) so I don't trust in them to actually have the stuff anymore.

56 minutes ago, HellfireSamurai said:

Really hoping that retailer doesn't start with a W because if it does then that means I'm likely done collecting minimates. That retailer's locations near me have dropped the ball on collectibles for a long time (well before COVID was even a factor) so I don't trust in them to actually have the stuff anymore.

Amazon would be the best bet 

2 hours ago, HellfireSamurai said:

I didn't mean Walmart, I meant Amazon, but if we are ever able to get Minimates into Walmart, exclusives or non-exclusives, it will be a huge boon for the line, so hopefully you'll stick around. I know we pitched them at least one set fairly recently. 

Amazon has bought boxed sets in the past, hopefully they will in the future.