UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

I can relate as well to the Adam West Batman thoughts. I haven't watched an episode in years but did watch the Movie a good while back with my grandson who may have been about 6 at the time and he loved it. Maybe its the bright colours and it was easy going but watching it with a young kid and seeing the simple joy and laughter at the daft stuff like running around with the bomb had on him I can appreciate it a bit more.

On british side note my daughter facetimed me the other week as we are all social distancing and she had a Emu hand/arm puppet which was mine as a child that my dad tormented/tickled and chased me around the house with and I did the same to my kids an now she was doing it to my 2 year old granddaughter and she was loving it. They had youtubed some episodes of Emu and the Parkinson interview

I think with Emu its the anarchy an naughtiness that kids love getting one up on the grown ups.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, grew up watching the Batman series and loved it as a child and still love it today. However, as a kid I think I understood that it's supposed to be silly and poking a little fun at itself. Having grown up reading both my dad's Batman comics from the 70s and 80s AND being exposed to the uber darkness of 2000s Batman, I've always understood that there are various levels to the Caped Crusader, each of which deserves a moment in the sun. 

God I’m gonna have to hunt the hell out of Walgreens for the Juggernaut if he fits with comics. The Excalibur one has been my biggest grail. I’d basically count my minimate collection complete if I had a Juggernaut worthy of the name. 

Man, that X-Men show hit me right in the sweet spot.  I was between 10 and 12 when it started (I forget the year), just started reading the comics, AND was super into the toys; Man, it was THE BEST.

Rewatching the series since has been very hit or miss.  The episodes I remember really hitting (anything with Bishop, Cable, and The Phoenix Saga) still hold up, while everything else is pretty not great (especially after season 2).  My favorite thing about that series is how they would just drop in cameos for the fans - comic accurate and generally non-speaking - it was everything I wanted from a Marvel show.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:45 PM, NerdyTrev said:

What about it do you love?

For starters, I waited my whole life for the show. I grew up with hyperlexia (basically I could read without being taught to read) and knew the X-men stories and universe inside out by that point in time.  Yes, some of the stories were adapted from Claremont but I never saw that as a bad thing since the stories themselves were amazing to me. I also loved the costumes, the voice actors, and more. I had them all on tape/DVD and watched them often until I moved to New York. Space is precious here so I didn't have them until I got them on iTunes. They were the first thing I watched on Disney+ and I was excited to see them on there.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:57 AM, Heinous said:

A morph head packed with cyclops would be pretty awesome 

I hope they do the same thing as ToyBiz and give us him with multiple heads.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, MisterPL said:

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I'm not dismissing your opinion. Rather, I'm a bit envious. I used to watch the 1966 Batman series religiously as far back as I can recall. That show was my introduction to the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder. There was no containing my enthusiasm. I read the comics, played with the Mego figures, and wore the homemade cape OUT.

Flash forward to college. I'm away from home, feeling nostalgic, and with a newly purchased Super Powers Collection Batman figure displayed atop my TV set, I decide to watch a late-night rerun of the show, eager to recapture that youthful joy.

I still remember the cringing vividly. It was embarrassing. The shame followed me for years.

Flash forward another ten years or so and I'd gained a new perspective, one that could reconcile that of my childhood with my older, more sophisticated tastes. But it did literally take me a decade to attain that wisdom and accept my seemingly conflicting opinions on the series that helped shape my life.

(Funny thing is that I write this as I'm eagerly about to draw that silly, dated Batman for a project I'm working on.)

So while I may have never shared the enthusiasm many others had for X-Men: The Animated Series, a love that a few like yourself have managed to maintain, I think I understand it. And for what it's worth, I'm kinda lamenting that my custom Morph may soon become obsolete.

LOL We are cut from opposite sides of the same coin. I Loved '66 and still do. Also read both of the autobiographies from Adam and Burt. I am excited to have an official Morph face since he is one of the few that the animated look will go well with.

12 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

Man, that X-Men show hit me right in the sweet spot.  I was between 10 and 12 when it started (I forget the year), just started reading the comics, AND was super into the toys; Man, it was THE BEST.

Rewatching the series since has been very hit or miss.  The episodes I remember really hitting (anything with Bishop, Cable, and The Phoenix Saga) still hold up, while everything else is pretty not great (especially after season 2).  My favorite thing about that series is how they would just drop in cameos for the fans - comic accurate and generally non-speaking - it was everything I wanted from a Marvel show.

The Cameo thing is what gets me! We could theoretically get a Shard or a Random in Minimate form! Mind blown.

watched 4 episodes yesterday.  got me so hyped up for x-men i went and played the whole konami game (the arcade where you could be one of six characters and for some reason magneto was using the sentinels).  

first episode was called "Weapon X, Lies, and Videotapes" which is an insane title for a cartoon (a take on "sex, lies, and videotapes").

guest appearances had silver fox and maverick, plus wolverine and sabretooth in their spy outfits i love so much.  next episode was a two-parter with bishop and trevor fitzroy (sp?) and nimrod.  it had the alternate future where the avengers are sent in to take on some mutants.  the next episode had morph morph into strong guy before he and wolverine went to take on sentinels.  

yeah, that's why i loved it.  now, i did fall asleep in the fourth episode......which is probably a more appropriate reaction we should have but i was also drunk by then.

1 hour ago, nandoninny said:

i went and played the whole konami game (the arcade where you could be one of six characters and for some reason magneto was using the sentinels).  

Man, what a terrific game. I used to play that and X-Men vs Street Fighter all the time at the arcade. It really helped cultivate my love for marvel's merry mutants. 

13 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

Man, what a terrific game. I used to play that and X-Men vs Street Fighter all the time at the arcade. It really helped cultivate my love for marvel's merry mutants. 

14 hours ago, nandoninny said:

watched 4 episodes yesterday.  got me so hyped up for x-men i went and played the whole konami game (the arcade where you could be one of six characters and for some reason magneto was using the sentinels). 

I have a Mame Arcade in my house and I've never played that game all the way through. I think that's me sorted for the next little while.

Ive played The Spider-man 4 player to the end and the Punisher/Nick Fury one but never the X-men 4 player or the Cap America Avengers that I can remember.

IMG-20200413-104605951-2.jpg

Edited by MiniFiend UK

i had forgotten about the nick fury/punisher one!!  nice reminder.

these games were fun to play with a group.

i got my wife to join me but as soon as it was done she was happy to get the heck outta there.

i downloaded the x-men one for ps3 so i had to dig that out for the first time in years.  i don't know if they ever offered any of the others.

i know they offered the simpsons one and at least turtles in time, not sure about the first acrade ninja turtles game.  damn it. now i want to find them.

3 hours ago, spidermatt said:

When are these X-Men sets comin out? Are the second set of Maximum Venom mates on their way to stores? Or will things ship out once this pandemic slows?

X-Men is Series 13, after Series 12. Series 12 will ship once we've sold through more of Series 11.

Series 12 is Iron Man/Ghost and Miles/Prowler. 

Series 13 is Cyclops/Sinister and Jean/Juggernaut. 

There is no second set of Maximum Venom Minimates. 

The 'Venom' wave  is the 'Venom ' wave. Wave 11 .....Ock,Spidey-Girl,BP, Shuri,Parker etc. is Wave 11 & if you believe what you see on eBay.com .......elusive , very elusive.

49 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

X-Men is Series 13, after Series 12. Series 12 will ship once we've sold through more of Series 11.

We?  

Us and Walgreens. If Series 11 is elusive, it will hopefully not be for long, as we have more. I have seen it in a few different suburban NY and CT locations, If I go to a Walgreens (unlikely, but possible) I will pick some up and do a giveaway. 

11 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

If Series 11 is elusive, it will hopefully not be for long, as we have more. 

Nice, I'll start keeping my eyes peeled when I have to venture out. I've only found two (ock and SG) in the wild here  and I really want to grab at least two more sets as well as the others.

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Us and Walgreens. If Series 11 is elusive, it will hopefully not be for long, as we have more. I have seen it in a few different suburban NY and CT locations, If I go to a Walgreens (unlikely, but possible) I will pick some up and do a giveaway. 

I'm just inquisitive...........I had always been led to understand ( or perhaps just assumed) that DST would deliver the latest wave in its entirety to WG ?   

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

I'm just inquisitive...........I had always been led to understand ( or perhaps just assumed) that DST would deliver the latest wave in its entirety to WG ?   

We ship them inventory as needed. We pull from an assortment until it is gone, as far as I know, then we move on to the next assortment. There may be exceptions. 

The last time I visited a few Walgreens' they were all stacked with the most recent stuff, barring 11. Captain Marvel, cavemen Avengers, Venom, and wave 10. Two pegs worth.

If that's how it works, Zach, I may have to go back and buy everything the have just to get some new stuff on the shelves.