UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a Juggernaut with a fully-moulded ,one piece,  'helmeted'  head with painted facial features . I like the Excalibur version & I can see why the helmet is designed in the manner it is but I consider it to look too thick....again , I know it is meant to be thick but not that thick . I'm imagining something akin to the TRUW7 Hulkbuster helmet &  an alternative head could be included in the pack:yes:  

Juggernaut is one of the tallest villains in the Marvel Universe ........give him some help. 

It would be nice for some if Jean came with the pony tail and another hair piece as quite a few people have lamented in recent years over a 90's x-men re-release. Of course now I'm straining to remember if Psylock, Iceman, Colossus or other 90's x-men ever turned up in the cartoon.

i'm personally thinking morph would be awesome.  as well as maybe some of the other 90's characters that for some reason have been skipped in the main line:  maverick, that spy looking wolverine (dept h? no idea) and some x-force charcters like Kane or Bridge.

colossus appeared in the same episode as juggernaut i believe (i have all the dvds).  plus captain america, i think war machine, punisher, spider-man -- i think they all had cameos.  

Anyone: How old were you when you were introduced to X-Men: The Animated Series and what did you like most about it?

I ask because I don't recall ever being able to get through an episode. On Halloween 1992 I was 26, married for one year, just had my first kid a week earlier, and found the show monumentally disappointing in both sight and sound. The appeal was lost on me. It probably didn't help that Batman had gotten a new animated series just weeks prior. That raised the bar for me and Fox's X-Men cartoon never came close to it.

So fans, what did you love about this show? I still see folks gushing over it thanks to Disney+. How has it aged?

I got into the DVDs which I would take out from the library religiously growing up. 

However, it doesn't hold up. At all. Good way to introduce a generation or two into a ton of second and third string characters, but it's pretty clearly for children. As someone who prides themselves on their status as an "animation junkie" X-Men: The Animated Series is certainly not one of the finer examples of western animation. 

Shoddy animation and voice acting and lack of original storytelling don't add up to a great show. I mean really, after the first season, pretty much every single episode is a straight adaptation of Chris Claremont's stories with the Jim Lee characters inserted. 

Like a lot of things, I think you can blame nostalgia for its Disney+ resurgence. Children of the 90s remembering their times watching it and playing with the abysmal ToyBiz figures. 

Edited by NerdyTrev

18 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Anyone: How old were you when you were introduced to X-Men: The Animated Series and what did you like most about it?

I ask because I don't recall ever being able to get through an episode. On Halloween 1992 I was 26, married for one year, just had my first kid a week earlier, and found the show monumentally disappointing in both sight and sound. The appeal was lost on me. It probably didn't help that Batman had gotten a new animated series just weeks prior. That raised the bar for me and Fox's X-Men cartoon never came close to it.

So fans, what did you love about this show? I still see folks gushing over it thanks to Disney+. How has it aged?

oh its bad, but in a good way.  plots were over dramatic and over simplified but we got to see so much.

the designs and just seeing my favorite characters on tv was a huge deal.

oh course, right after it was the tick was holds up much better but whatever.  tick minimates wouldn't sell, would they?

5 minutes ago, nandoninny said:

oh course, right after it was the tick was holds up much better but whatever.  tick minimates wouldn't sell, would they?

I'd sell my mother for a Dinosaur Neil minimate.

21 minutes ago, nandoninny said:

For me the show started my Senior yr of high school. While I wasn't a big X-fan I did read the comics and I supported it because it was a comic book property.  Plus one of my friends would tape the shows and we'd have it playing the background during the weekly D&D game.   So it's mostly nostalgia.  

I was 8 years old. Probably the target demographic... I was enthralled with it at the time, and all of my friends would talk about each episode for the whole week at school. We didn’t understand that it was low quality, we just loved the characters and all of their super powers.

I haven’t watched it since. I actively avoid it and just hold on to the nostalgia and the feeling of it being cool to me as a kid. I made the mistake of rewatching Hook a few years back and left that viewing feeling a small gut punch over the fact that I couldn’t trust my childhood memories of it being this epic movie experience. I’d prefer not to experience that disappointment with the X-Men cartoon as well ?

I was also around 7 or 8 when it came out. It's definitely a nostalgia show, along with the Spider-Man animated show. I've watched both on D+ and they are definitely not great. But it's good background filler when I wake up too early and I'm scrolling on my phone. But if this gives us more 90s x-men, I'm not complaining 

13 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I was 11 because the cartoon debuted in Brazil in 1994 only. And we don't have Disney+ here yet.

I loved X-Men, it was the cartoon I most wanted to see at the time, before or after having to go to school, I don't remember.

Whaaat an animated X-Men wave?? This is incredible. With everything going in rn release dates are probably up in the air but what sort of time frame before we could see any kind of preview? I'd love an official Morph, and he'd make sense with Sinister, Cyclops and Jean... but since it's someone we've had before my guess is also Juggernaut... even tho I have all the Jim Lee mates, I'm very interested in this wave!

11 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I was 14 and I still love this show and can't get over the hate on this thread for it.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

I'm not dismissing your opinion. Rather, I'm a bit envious. I used to watch the 1966 Batman series religiously as far back as I can recall. That show was my introduction to the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder. There was no containing my enthusiasm. I read the comics, played with the Mego figures, and wore the homemade cape OUT.

Flash forward to college. I'm away from home, feeling nostalgic, and with a newly purchased Super Powers Collection Batman figure displayed atop my TV set, I decide to watch a late-night rerun of the show, eager to recapture that youthful joy.

I still remember the cringing vividly. It was embarrassing. The shame followed me for years.

Flash forward another ten years or so and I'd gained a new perspective, one that could reconcile that of my childhood with my older, more sophisticated tastes. But it did literally take me a decade to attain that wisdom and accept my seemingly conflicting opinions on the series that helped shape my life.

(Funny thing is that I write this as I'm eagerly about to draw that silly, dated Batman for a project I'm working on.)

So while I may have never shared the enthusiasm many others had for X-Men: The Animated Series, a love that a few like yourself have managed to maintain, I think I understand it. And for what it's worth, I'm kinda lamenting that my custom Morph may soon become obsolete.