UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

1 hour ago, Gillbob316 said:

Yeah... WTH, with the Zemo's in the Chicagoland Area? Where are they all going?

First I hit the Elk Grove Walgreens and Found the Rulk & Marvel Pack, and the Vulture Pack. Alright, 2 out of 4 ain't terrible for a first stop.
Then I hit the Northlake Walgreens and Found those two again + Scorpion. Bought Scorpion. Still No Zemo. Curses.
Then I hit the Franklin Park Walgreens and found those three again. Consarnit.
Then finally I hit the Melrose Park Walgreens and found all four. If only I'd gone here first.

I had to go to four flipping Walgreenses, All of whom had Rulk and Vulture, none of whom had Zemo until the last one. (And I bought it, so now that one has all 3 sets minus Zemo too, lol)... in any event, don't bother with any of those if you're seeking Zemo.

And I also noted the $15 Marvel Legends Sale, so along the way I bought Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Medusa, Namor, Netflix Daredevil and Ms. Marvel (Kamala).

And also a Pop Vinyl Juggernaut, who is a Walgreens exclusive I've been hunting for for like a year. Can't believe I finally found that.

Walgreens took a lot of my money last night.

Thanks for the heads up. :confused:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought every animated pack so far, even ones I didn't like or care for up until wave 7. I just didn't like anything but Carol and zemo, with Carol being the dar better of the two for me. This wave has a lot of stuff that I really like and can work with.

Fixing a jackel up yourself to fit in w/ 616 mates is waaaaay better than not having one to fix up at all. MODOK design not for you? There's a perfect 616 one already. Use this one to make more 616 variants! 

5 new animated characters/designs not in the 616 line, without any ridiculous variants way too similar to existing mates. This wave is fantastic overall, I'm happy about it. 

On 12/8/2017 at 8:03 AM, elhonez said:

Yeah, we can be pretty harsh (unintentionally) when things don't line up with our personal wants. I see a lot of - and I'm guilty of this too - really wanting the animated line to be an additional outlet for 616 characters whenever possible, when that's not actually the spirit of the line.

I'm quietly bummed whenever I can't use a new character like Jackal as a 616 stand-in, because the animated look is just too far off, but I also don't want to condemn the line as teh suxx0rs just because it isn't filling gaps from the main line LCS releases.

And yes Zach I'm trying to make you feel better. :)

Personally I'm not looking for the animated line to fill in for 616 characters, I like(or dis-like) them for what they are, and regardless of who is to blame for a bad figure, bad design vs. bad interpretation,  a shitty figure is a shitty figure and i call 'em as i see 'em.  

10 hours ago, Mattallica said:

Personally I'm not looking for the animated line to fill in for 616 characters, I like(or dis-like) them for what they are, and regardless of who is to blame for a bad figure, bad design vs. bad interpretation,  a shitty figure is a shitty figure and i call 'em as i see 'em.  

Regardless of what you "see," I just wonder what you're looking for in this line if you think seven out of eight figures in this assortment suck (Wasp is just "okay"). Unless you're not counting characters you already have, in which case, yes, the new characters don't look like 616. 

If that means the designs suck, so be it, but the Jackal design isn't really any more ridiculous than the original 616 Jackal, and the Minimate is a pretty spot-on adaptation. I have not seen Masque art, but the Minimate suggests an interesting reinterpretation.

11 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Regardless of what you "see," I just wonder what you're looking for in this line if you think seven out of eight figures in this assortment suck (Wasp is just "okay"). Unless you're not counting characters you already have, in which case, yes, the new characters don't look like 616. 

If that means the designs suck, so be it, but the Jackal design isn't really any more ridiculous than the original 616 Jackal, and the Minimate is a pretty spot-on adaptation. I have not seen Masque art, but the Minimate suggests an interesting reinterpretation.

Well its pretty simple Zach,  interesting characters and/or designs, and as i already said I'M NOT LOOKING LOOKING FOR THESE TO BE  616  VERSIONS.

I didnt want to have to do this but since your confused, lets run through them:

Big time Spidey and Gwenpool - inferior versions of what we've already got/ some of which we have multiple times/  and recently

Masque- basically a white figure with a skirt piece , pretty plain, maybe if she had a sculpted slip-over face piece or something for some detail

Black panther- again pretty plain, not bad but considering we are about to be awash in BP mates he's not too exciting

Jackal- the design sucks, and again its not about 616

Modok- I think the choice to go full on minimate head cylinder is too much, otherwise he'd be cool

Screwball- nothing about this one appeals to me, maybe because i dont watch the show, or because its so plain,or the mismatched color purse that sticks out literally and figuratively as the only sculpted piece, and that face is just too simple even in an animated line, this fig may have benefited from  a slip-over mask, maybe like Vindicators ?

Wasp-  Definately the best of the bunch, I really like her hair and helmet, kind of wish the wings were transparent, but they are  probably not in the show,  yeah shes a good figure, but considering you have to buy one of these other Turds( i assume Modok) to get her, she is just an ok purchase.

so there you go

In the many years I've been visiting this forum I've developed the habit of following particular posts of particular members & I know for sure that other members do the same .  

Matt & I have never met & he recently posted in another thread that he had never met another MMMV member whilst I have met several. I'd like to meet him one day....... whether he wants to meet me or not isn't for me to say :D

I'll get to the point now..........I follow Matt's posts & whilst I don't always agree with everything he says I have always applauded his frankness .  He buys minimates & I know he bloody well loves minimates & when he gives his opinion on a particular figure that I personally won't get to see (for logistical reasons) for many months....... I take notice of what he is saying & that's how I have been drawn to this particular discussion at this particular point.

So I read what he said in his penultimate post & I followed the thread backwards (as I often do) . I found the pictures of the latest offerings & I have made my mind up about the 'mates in question.

I live in the UK & getting hold of this animated line is not easy but my efforts( to collect them) & the efforts that my fellow-US members make on my behalf to procure them for me makes it all worthwhile .

Whilst I can't say that every figure in the animated series is perfect, I enjoy collecting them & will continue to do so ,despite whatever is said by whomever.

For the record I also care little about whether they 'blend' with 616 characters or 'movie' Marvel Minimates.

So here it is.....here's what I think, here's my personal opinion about what I've seen of some animated Marvel Minimates that I'll undoubtedly be adding to my collection in due course..........

A shitty figure is a shitty figure regardless of who is to blame & those are some shitty figures.

That's my opinion just my opinion & I give my opinion because that's what I think & whilst it agrees with Matt's opinion I am not influenced by his opinion......... or the opinion of others. Was it necessary for me to spell that out ? Well in my opinion it was necessary because I am NEVER influenced by other peoples opinions about anything....including their opinions about me :D.

So I know particular members will 'follow' what I have said whilst I am equally aware that particular members will no doubt consider that they don't agree with me & that I am just being an asshole & that we should always say good things about Minimates . I have perhaps the biggest private Minimate collection in the world & I am extremely proud of it & DST should be proud of what they have achieved with the Minimate line but sometimes .....just sometimes......it really pisses me off that I or others have to justify our opinions.

But that's just my opinion:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, bigvis497 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who just collects the animated lines? I know there are people who only buy comic versions and people who only buy movie versions. I'm just curious to see if it works the other way around.

I’ve made a point to pick up every animated figure. I can say that the only ones I’ve really used, however, are the Squadron Supreme and Medusa.

A recurring theme I'm seeing in this thread is "If you look at the animated line's purpose as though it exists to supplement the 616 line, you're doing it wrong"

And I feel like we're harping on that too much.

I don't think anyone here views the animated line's purpose as a 616 supplement. We all know what it is, we all know the animated line is the animated line, just like a movie line is a movie line. We all know that some figures can make the leap from one set to another more seamlessly than others.

I think the only point anyone was trying to get across Re: that topic, is that the animated line is often more desirable to some of us if and when it can make that transition, and that this wave can't do that very well. Which makes it less versatile, and thus less desirable.

Do i get that the animated line is the animated line, and not the "who can we sneak into 616" line? Yes. Certainly.

Am I happier when the animated line serves the dual function of also sneaking a character into the 616 line? Yes. Certainly.

On 12/10/2017 at 12:05 PM, Mattallica said:

Well its pretty simple Zach,  interesting characters and/or designs, and as i already said I'M NOT LOOKING LOOKING FOR THESE TO BE  616  VERSIONS.

I didnt want to have to do this but since your confused, lets run through them:

Big time Spidey and Gwenpool - inferior versions of what we've already got/ some of which we have multiple times/  and recently

That's Spider-Gwen. I know, it's confusing. :)

I'm not asking anyone to justify their opinions, just explain them to me -- I'm trying to figure out why anyone thinks they're shitty. Aesthetics and interest level are entirely subjective, but now that you've qualified some of those opinions, I'll certainly throw out some counter-opinions! (I've always wondered if people on message boards enjoy reading other people's opinions, first impressions, etc., to see if they agree, or if people articulating their thoughts for their own benefit is just a fact of forums. But I'll take a thought-out analysis over a "meh.")

Black Panther and Masque being "plain" is just an odd thing to hold against them, because simplified, clean art is a hallmark of the animated style. You're usually not going to see detail here. This line (and thread) is mostly clean, simple Minimates. BP is interesting to mass audiences now (remember, Walgreens), and Masque MIGHT be interesting to some collectors being the first ever.

Screwball is a relatively new character in the comics who has never had a figure, which might make her interesting to collectors, and she is a web personality, which makes her a potentially interesting character to a younger mass audience. And aside from the mouth, it's a good execution of the cartoon and comic costumes -- I have not researched her lips.

That Spidey has not been released in years, and never at Walgreens, and we frequently take locations into consideration, so this will hopefully reach a new audience, not to mention newer MM fans. And if by "inferior" you mean "less detailed," see above. The comic costume is not very detailed to begin with. But Spidey is always interesting to mass audiences.

Spider-Gwen was exclusively at TRU and in a blind bag at comic shops, never at Walgreens, so again, new audience. And I'm not even sure she IS less detailed, although obviously she lacks an unmasked head, so I guess that makes her inferior, technically. That said, she is one of the most beloved new Marvel characters, and a main character on the show, so I'm sure many cartoon fans and comic fans will be interested.

MODOK, I think it's odd to say it's a bad design when it clearly is a floating head with arms, and therefore MODOK, and that it's a bad execution when it follows the rules of Minimates, and is pretty detailed to boot, but I guess it's entirely a matter of taste. MODOK is always interesting.

Jackal... I always thought the original Jackal design was pretty weak to begin with, a speedo-wearing Green Goblin with a non sequitur name, as he neither resembles nor acts like a jackal. (Although he is the product of a deranged mind, so I guess it doesn't really matter.) And again, it's entirely a matter of opinion, but I think the new design is not any more ridiculous that that one, and the figure is a great execution of the design. And he is the mysterious new villain on the show, so he will be of interest to fans, and being the first Jackal MM, MAY be of interest to collectors. Remove the chest block, trim the mohawk and give him some guyliner, and you've pretty much got the old Jackal.

Jackal_(Marvel_Comics_-1975).pngvlcsnap-2017-08-26-18h42m21s728-620x349.

Just my opinions. I can see these figures being unneeded, or even unwanted, but to say they're among the worst Minimates ever made (how many would you call "shitty," really?), in this or any line, seems extreme. Maybe I tend to see the positives over the negatives, but that has little to do with my employment, it's just me. I am easily pleased or entertained, and there are few toys I would kick out my metaphorical bed for eating crackers.

I was an awful movie critic, also.

Edited by DSTZach

28 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Screwball is a relatively new character in the comics who has never had a figure, which might make her interesting to collectors, and she is a web personality, which makes her a potentially interesting character to a younger mass audience. And aside from the mouth, it's a good execution of the cartoon and comic costumes -- I have not researched her lips.

39771db53bca0921ca6bd63465c95b532282dc93

Captain America says, "Be very careful Googling screwball lips."

And as was mentioned, animated adaptations are generally simplified. Minimates – heck, most block figures – are also generally minimalistic. Purists might agree that we've gotten spoiled with detailed sculpts and ornate printing over what now amounts to a skeleton instead of what used to be the canvas.

We also need to remember that Walgreens just lost its Minimates virginity less than two years ago. What's old hat to us veterans is still brand spanking new to those drug-peddlers.

4 hours ago, DSTZach said:

That's Spider-Gwen. I know, it's confusing. :)

I'm not asking anyone to justify their opinions, just explain them to me -- I'm trying to figure out why anyone thinks they're shitty. Aesthetics and interest level are entirely subjective, but now that you've qualified some of those opinions, I'll certainly throw out some counter-opinions! (I've always wondered if people on message boards enjoy reading other people's opinions, first impressions, etc., to see if they agree, or if people articulating their thoughts for their own benefit is just a fact of forums. But I'll take a thought-out analysis over a "meh.")

Black Panther and Masque being "plain" is just an odd thing to hold against them, because simplified, clean art is a hallmark of the animated style. You're usually not going to see detail here. This line (and thread) is mostly clean, simple Minimates. BP is interesting to mass audiences now (remember, Walgreens), and Masque MIGHT be interesting to some collectors being the first ever.

That Spidey has not been released in years, and never at Walgreens, and we frequently take locations into consideration, so this will hopefully reach a new audience, not to mention newer MM fans. And if by "inferior" you mean "less detailed," see above. The comic costume is not very detailed to begin with. But Spidey is always interesting to mass audiences.

Spider-Gwen was exclusively at TRU and in a blind bag at comic shops, never at Walgreens, so again, new audience. And I'm not even sure she IS less detailed, although obviously she lacks an unmasked head, so I guess that makes her inferior, technically. That said, she is one of the most beloved new Marvel characters, and a main character on the show, so I'm sure many cartoon fans and comic fans will be interested.

MODOK, I think it's odd to say it's a bad design when it clearly is a floating head with arms, and therefore MODOK, and that it's a bad execution when it follows the rules of Minimates, and is pretty detailed to boot, but I guess it's entirely a matter of taste. MODOK is always interesting.

Jackal... I always thought the original Jackal design was pretty weak to begin with, a speedo-wearing Green Goblin with a non sequitur name, as he neither resembles nor acts like a jackal. (Although he is the product of a deranged mind, so I guess it doesn't really matter.) And again, it's entirely a matter of opinion, but I think the new design is not any more ridiculous that that one, and the figure is a great execution of the design. And he is the mysterious new villain on the show, so he will be of interest to fans, and being the first Jackal MM, MAY be of interest to collectors. Remove the chest block, trim the mohawk and give him some guyliner, and you've pretty much got the old Jackal.

Jackal_(Marvel_Comics_-1975).pngvlcsnap-2017-08-26-18h42m21s728-620x349.

Just my opinions. I can see these figures being unneeded, or even unwanted, but to say they're among the worst Minimates ever made (how many would you call "shitty," really?), in this or any line, seems extreme. Maybe I tend to see the positives over the negatives, but that has little to do with my employment, it's just me. I am easily pleased or entertained, and there are few toys I would kick out my metaphorical bed for eating crackers.

I was an awful movie critic, also.

I assume your specifically addressing me with this post however you attribute several things to me that i DIDN;T say/write, for example i never said Modok was a bad design, only the execution with the cylinder head, never said spider-gwen was less detailed, never said the original Jackal was a good or bad design, just that this ones design was bad,( for the record DST did a great job translating that one from cartoon to 3d figure, however a great translation from a cartoon turd to a 3d turd is still a turd.) and i certainly never said " they're among the worst Minimates ever made". I also never mentioned your opinions having anything to do with your employment, maybe this is a case of "thou doth protest too much"?   and   whether a figure is new ,hasn't been released in years or  hasn't been released at a certain store before has nothing to do with it being a good or bad figure, it may go into your decision making process on whether to make it or not but it certainly doesn't make a shitty figure good just because.

as for masque being "clean" and "simple" I dont know her mask looks quite detailed it would have been nice to see it sculpted

think of how these characters(masque, screwball) would look in silhouette compared to the same character on the shows silhouette  then maybe you will see what i mean by plain, a slip on mask/helmet etc would make a big difference

11 hours ago, Mattallica said:

as for masque being "clean" and "simple" I dont know her mask looks quite detailed it would have been nice to see it sculpted 

I'm with Mr. Allica on this one. That mask really looks like it wants to be sculpted. Not only would it probably look more authentic but it'd probably catch the eye of customizers looking for a cool, sculpted headpiece to go with one of their creations. (DC's Sandman leaps to mind.)

I think the Jackal in general is a poor design whether animated or 616. But the only thing that really bugs me about the minimate is the shoulder/torso bulk piece. It just doesn't look right. The legs are weird but that's a product of the poor designs of the new cartoon. I don't know anything about Screwball but the minimate has a serious case of man-face. I'm okay with the rest, including MODOK. We already have a great one, but I like this one being different and having the oversized minimate cylinder head.

Will we be getting any "animated" SpiderMan Into The SpiderVerse minimates?

Edited by MrClean

I went back and was looking at pics of the newest animated wave revealed. I know the thoughts on the Jackal are varied, but the torso/shoulder piece is interesting to me.

Does anyone think something like that would be good for a Colossus/Thor/Hercules type character? It would show some bulk but without being a powerhouse chest piece. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

Finally found Zemo! Sorry to anyone needing the full set at the Mundelein Walgreens. Maybe if I'd been able to get a full set at the store by my apartment, I wouldn't have had to do that... <_<

Zemo seems to be the ONLY set that is selling with the latest wave.  I have seen a few different Walgreens now that are all missing just the Zemo set.