Gmonkey2k

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

Wow!  So...these are pretty awful.  

I thought Modok was the character from the Gwenpool comic at first:

It's a little confusing, but he's actually from the cartoon!

latest?cb=20130531022734

The trick I use is that this one doesn't have a MOHAWK (Minimal Operation Hairstyle Also Worn by daKen) AND is in the Animated line. :yes:

Edited by DSTZach

I'm sure we'll do a 616 Masque at some point, and I'd certainly like a Jackal and Wasp, but we'll see. Ant-Man 2 may raise her profile so much that a 616 version is inevitable. If the TV version of Whitney Frost had been anything like the comics, maybe we would have gotten to her sooner. 

And there have been SO many looks for MODOK. I don't think we could improve on our MVC3 one as far as the classic look goes, but I hope we make many, many more.

1658149-hulk__29_025_copy.jpg

c7a49404abbce4d7e22f3497291a57ee.jpg

4633903-modoka2015002_dc11-0.jpg

26b078510e8ecc278a84e333dfe304a2.png

QEGRkuX.jpg

modok-likes-ice-cream.jpg

latest?cb=20080907050406

Edited by DSTZach

I think MODOK looks fine. Madame Masque looks like a steampunk nurse. I hate the new Black Panther headpiece. I don’t like the ears on it. Wasp is fine and none of the Spider-Man figures do it for me. Wasp and MODOK is probably the only one I’ll pick up. 

I always feel bad when a new line debuts, and people here have salty things to say about it, and then Zach is crestfallen, lol.

I don't think anyone here is like... aiming to be meanspirited, per say. I think the biggest fans of minimates tend to congregate here, and the biggest fans of this or any other thing... are usually the most critical of that thing... by virtue of the fact they're the most passionate? *Shrug*

Sure I think MODOK looks like Soup, but I did say I loved Wasp! lol...

It doesn't seem fair for me to complain about the mates themselves as these look accurate to the cartoon designs.  That said, I have never been a fan of these animated waves and I would've much preferred a comic-based Wasp and Jackal. These won't really work as substitutes either because they lack the more elaborate detail and shading that is put into regular releases.

Hopefully the cartoon fans enjoy this wave and us comic-oriented collectors get a proper Black/Gold Wasp and Jackal soon enough. Those two have been on my wish list for a while. 

I like all of these, @DSTZach. Most of them more than wave 6! I like the animated shows and, thus, the animated Minimates. And, as I said, all of them are very accurate to their respective shows.

I just thought it was a little funny that the date was April Fools of this year. 2018 makes sense, but is it actually April? The Walgreens mate’s seem to be hitting every 2-3 months and that would be 4.

And, serious question, from where are the designs for Spider-Gwen and Big Time Spidey coming? I have seen another toy line with SG for the new animated show and neither have been in the show yet. They must be coming in the next set of episodes?

The "big time" suit is a little bit of a surprise, especially since the proto-suit was heavily featured and hasn't been featured as a minimate before.  Not surprised to see Spider-Gwen and the pairing makes sense, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Jackal design (the mate or the show).  Regardless, I hope the next wave is as easy to find as the most recent one was. 

1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

I like all of these, @DSTZach. Most of them more than wave 6! I like the animated shows and, thus, the animated Minimates. And, as I said, all of them are very accurate to their respective shows.

Don't try to make me feel better.

1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

I just thought it was a little funny that the date was April Fools of this year. 2018 makes sense, but is it actually April? The Walgreens mate’s seem to be hitting every 2-3 months and that would be 4.

I thought that was odd, too, but that's the target. It may be to give the Black Panther series a little space.

1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

And, serious question, from where are the designs for Spider-Gwen and Big Time Spidey coming? I have seen another toy line with SG for the new animated show and neither have been in the show yet. They must be coming in the next set of episodes?

Some of the Spidey designs may be from upcoming episodes. But I believe she was in early promo art, too.

17 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

I always feel bad when a new line debuts, and people here have salty things to say about it, and then Zach is crestfallen, lol.

Yeah, we can be pretty harsh (unintentionally) when things don't line up with our personal wants. I see a lot of - and I'm guilty of this too - really wanting the animated line to be an additional outlet for 616 characters whenever possible, when that's not actually the spirit of the line.

I'm quietly bummed whenever I can't use a new character like Jackal as a 616 stand-in, because the animated look is just too far off, but I also don't want to condemn the line as teh suxx0rs just because it isn't filling gaps from the main line LCS releases.

And yes Zach I'm trying to make you feel better. :)

Yeah I think that's pretty much the point.  I think the character choices in this wave are good and it's great to see 3 new villains.  Also they look really good up against what I've seen of the source material.  I'm one of the people who has championed the animated line as being a good fit with the 616 line on the whole, and that is why I collect it.  However, in this particular wave to see characters off my want list like jackal and madame masque getting made but look too different is a shame.  However, I'm still grateful for the squadron supreme, medusa, man thing etc and I'm encouraged by Zach's comments on madame masque hopefully getting a 616 version at some point.

I think they look great. *shrug*

Hit up one store this morning looking for the Cap/Zemo pack, but they only had Carol/Rulk. :confused:

But they also had the Marvel Legends Human Torch that I passed up when I found the rest of this wave at a different store because I didn't have enough money, and he was on sale, and I used my rewards coupon, so not a total loss.

Yeah... WTH, with the Zemo's in the Chicagoland Area? Where are they all going?

First I hit the Elk Grove Walgreens and Found the Rulk & Marvel Pack, and the Vulture Pack. Alright, 2 out of 4 ain't terrible for a first stop.
Then I hit the Northlake Walgreens and Found those two again + Scorpion. Bought Scorpion. Still No Zemo. Curses.
Then I hit the Franklin Park Walgreens and found those three again. Consarnit.
Then finally I hit the Melrose Park Walgreens and found all four. If only I'd gone here first.

I had to go to four flipping Walgreenses, All of whom had Rulk and Vulture, none of whom had Zemo until the last one. (And I bought it, so now that one has all 3 sets minus Zemo too, lol)... in any event, don't bother with any of those if you're seeking Zemo.

And I also noted the $15 Marvel Legends Sale, so along the way I bought Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Medusa, Namor, Netflix Daredevil and Ms. Marvel (Kamala).

And also a Pop Vinyl Juggernaut, who is a Walgreens exclusive I've been hunting for for like a year. Can't believe I finally found that.

Walgreens took a lot of my money last night.

Edited by Gillbob316

I think I like series 8 more than I did 7, I think the animated line is great for what it is, and they usually have pretty unique looks and characters. Either way, the completionist in me will have em regardless. No luck on series 7 in SoCal btw, kinda weird cause I’m used to finding things almost as soon as they start popping up, but I’m sure they’ll drift in from the east coast sure enough.