UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

The S1/S2 Black Widow looks a lot like previous Widows we've made, so when we saw Season 3's outfit, we went for it:

Avengers-Ultron-Revolution.jpg

And I'm not sure where we got our GotG reference. Looks like the comic artists used the same reference in issue #3 of the animated-style book:

marvel-universe_guardians-of-the-galaxy-

Luckily, people have been asking for Ravager outfits, right?

Zach, any planned accessories with these? Infinity gauntlet? Spinning Mjolnir?

May change, but a sword for Gamora, unmasked head for Spidey, hair for Thor and a baby Groot for Drax.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The S1/S2 Black Widow looks a lot like previous Widows we've made, so when we saw Season 3's outfit, we went for it:

Avengers-Ultron-Revolution.jpg

And I'm not sure where we got our GotG reference. Looks like the comic artists used the same reference in issue #3 of the animated-style book:

marvel-universe_guardians-of-the-galaxy-

Luckily, people have been asking for Ravager outfits, right?

Zach, any planned accessories with these? Infinity gauntlet? Spinning Mjolnir?

May change, but a sword for Gamora, unmasked head for Spidey, hair for Thor and a baby Groot for Drax.

Aw man. I didn't have any interest in these but you sold me with Baby Groot with Drax.

If DST is looking for ideas for cool accessories, howzabout an actual Rocket Minimate that can also hold baby Groot?

Just package the dreaded out of scale Rocket with an equally out of scale potted Groot Minimate with poseable arms and alternate heads.

smile.png

Edited by youbastards

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been back to my two stores since I found my set. These aren't collecting dust, are they?

I've been wondering the same thing. Anyone been in recently?
I have, some stores have been moving through waves, but then others are stagnant. I think if they sell the set, they get another? So hard to tell at this point. I could be missing something, but I probably see them at 3/5 walgreens I stop by
We have three Walgreens in town. I bought one complete set but as far as I can tell no one else has bought any. Same thing goes for the TRU Ultimate Spidey animated wave. They hit the shelves the same time as those Wave 2 AoU did and the Ultron ones have been gone for a while but nobody bought any of the animated ones at all. Edited by suicidewatch

• 2 weeks later...

I've said this time & time again ......one more time ....it seems pretty obvious that the red* webbing lines & the red* outlines to the whites of the eyes are printed in two hits ....why this is necessary is totally beyond my comprehension .

I'll elaborate ......... it seems to me that webbing lines are printed first, then the white eyes are printed . If the 'whites' are misregistered (print terminology = misaligned) during the next (white) print -run then the subsequent printing of the red outlines, out of necessity, must be registered to the whites otherwise ol' Spidey will look totally boss-eyed .

This could be solved by printing the webbing & the eye outlines as one hit .......this would eliminate misregistration between the two . The webbing behind the white eyes that can almost always be seen should simply be 'knocked-out' (print-term) allowing the white to be printed first...... then the combined image red* plate is just one simple run .

If I've lost you .....forgive me but I'm totally certain any printer would understand & it is he/them that needs to know .

I'm always ready to learn sooooooooooooo maybe there's another reason they don't do it my way...........I'm all ears .

*I use red webbing lines as an example ,it seems that the same method is used on Spideys using black or blue webbing lines/eye outlines.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've said this time & time again ......one more time ....it seems pretty obvious that the red* webbing lines & the red* outlines to the whites of the eyes are printed in two hits ....why this is necessary is totally beyond my comprehension .

I'll elaborate ......... it seems to me that webbing lines are printed first, then the white eyes are printed . If the 'whites' are misregistered (print terminology = misaligned) during the next (white) print -run then the subsequent printing of the red outlines, out of necessity, must be registered to the whites otherwise ol' Spidey will look totally boss-eyed .

This could be solved by printing the webbing & the eye outlines as one hit .......this would eliminate misregistration between the two . The webbing behind the white eyes that can almost always be seen should simply be 'knocked-out' (print-term) allowing the white to be printed first...... then the combined image red* plate is just one simple run .

If I've lost you .....forgive me but I'm totally certain any printer would understand & it is he/them that needs to know .

I'm always ready to learn sooooooooooooo maybe there's another reason they don't do it my way...........I'm all ears .

*I use red webbing lines as an example ,it seems that the same method is used on Spideys using black or blue webbing lines/eye outlines.

Printing order is done the way it is for a reason.

As someone who's been in the print business for over 30 years, I'd love to know the reason.

The only thing I can think of is that the webbing prints separately from the outline of the eyes because the outline prints twice to completely cover the white pass printed underneath. Trying to register the web pattern twice would be problematic, especially as a hand operation.

And the webbing needs to be printed first because otherwise you need to get the break in the webbing exactly right, which is another layer of complication. And the outline needs to be printed last because it's the only way to guarantee the frame has a uniform width.

I'm trying to understand it, too.

Zach seemed to confirm that the white eyes require two passes for opacity. If that's the case they can still print white first and then the combined webbing/eye frame color.

I suggested it was possible that the red or black ink isn't opaque enough to cover the bleed under the white eyes leaving an undesirable pink or grey line where the colors are trapped. (More printing terms.) If that's true then registering the web pattern twice would be a real nosebleed. Maybe that's why that pass has been separated.

Another thing to consider is that the web pattern would have to be applied using a rotary printer for 360° coverage. That's probably a more tedious and costly setup. To save time and money they might be applying the pattern on the rotary printer and then doing the eyes on a standard tampo pad press. That's just a wild guess on my part. I have no experience on either machine's efficiencies.

• 7 months later...
51 minutes ago, Zylek said:

Maybe since the Inhumans have been on episodes of all the Animated Series lately that we could actually get some Inhuman minimates:

dd64379c-5f4c-4674-9c3b-833785c00c13_zps

2e82057b-ccc2-4961-a7e6-665f52e6c162_zps

I'd buy that! Though I'm afraid Medusa's hair would require it's own 2-pack. :ohmy: