UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens Marvel 'Mates

Gmonkey2k

12 hours ago, TheKrisLyons said:

That's not regular Carnage. We got him already in the first animated wave that was sold at TRU.

Ohhhh yeah!  You're right.  I completely forgot about that wave.  That was one of the only waves that my local TRU never stocked.  I thought because the look is so similar to Carnage from the cartoon and it being the same size as Venom and Anti-Venom that it was just the regular version.  So when the Carnage symbiote bonds with other people does it not change its look like how the Venom symbiote does?

9 hours ago, DSTZach said:

This is a pretty classic Leader...

minimates_post_master.jpgleader.gif

Agree to disagree, I guess.  There are way more differences than similarities there.

Edited by MisterMiracle

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole "this animated-style Minimate does not fit in with my comic Mates due to a slight degree of simplification and is therefore invalid" thing is incomprehensible to me. It's a very detailed Minimate. 

Hopefully people appreciate what this line provides, as well as what the comic line provides, which will be a lot this year. There are a thousand Marvel costumes that need to be made or updated, so appearing in this line is not necessarily the reason a costume does not appear in the comic line.

4 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

The whole "this animated-style Minimate does not fit in with my comic Mates due to a slight degree of simplification and is therefore invalid" thing is incomprehensible to me. It's a very detailed Minimate. 

Hopefully people appreciate what this line provides, as well as what the comic line provides, which will be a lot this year. There are a thousand Marvel costumes that need to be made or updated, so appearing in this line is not necessarily the reason a costume does not appear in the comic line.

I had my doubts in the beginning but I've grown to love this line. I think you and DS have done a great job of making the line work for the comic look. 

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

i'd appreciate this line a lot more if the waves were properly distributed by Walgreens. These figures are the biggest pain in the ass to collect. I live in a town with 3 Walgreens in between 2 major cities that have probably another 30 stores. I NEVER see new waves. Nothing past 1.5 has ever shown up on the shelves. When mates have been restocked they are always more older waves. Some stores don't even have ANY mates on the shelf. Staff that I've asked questions to either have no clue or tell me things like "we get what they send us". 

Having to rely on other members of this messageboard and ebay to get them really defeats the point of these Minimates being an exclusive at a major chain. This is only a problem with Minimates. The stores near me have no problem getting the new Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and Funko Pop exclusives. 

16 minutes ago, suicidewatch said:

i'd appreciate this line a lot more if the waves were properly distributed by Walgreens. These figures are the biggest pain in the ass to collect. I live in a town with 3 Walgreens in between 2 major cities that have probably another 30 stores. I NEVER see new waves. Nothing past 1.5 has ever shown up on the shelves. When mates have been restocked they are always more older waves. Some stores don't even have ANY mates on the shelf. Staff that I've asked questions to either have no clue or tell me things like "we get what they send us". 

Having to rely on other members of this messageboard and ebay to get them really defeats the point of these Minimates being an exclusive at a major chain. This is only a problem with Minimates. The stores near me have no problem getting the new Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, and Funko Pop exclusives. 

This!

One of my stores has 10-12 Wave 1 and 1.5 packs that they just raised the price on, for almost 2 years they were $7.99 but now are $8.99.

This shared sku is killing the momentum for this line.  It also seems like different regions get the new packs in more volume than others.

Wave 2.5 was non-existant in my area, but Wave 3 is everywhere.  3 weeks ago I randomly found a full set of Wave 4 at one location, about 45 minutes away, but it got restocked with Wave 3.

The randomness of what stores get new waves has killed my interest of this line and made it feel like a burden to collect.  These are legitimate issues that need to be addressed by the toy buyer for Walgreens.

On 4/24/2017 at 6:49 AM, suicidewatch said:

i'd appreciate this line a lot more if the waves were properly distributed by Walgreens. These figures are the biggest pain in the ass to collect. I live in a town with 3 Walgreens in between 2 major cities that have probably another 30 stores. I NEVER see new waves.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:18 AM, youbastards said:

This shared sku is killing the momentum for this line.  It also seems like different regions get the new packs in more volume than others.

The randomness of what stores get new waves has killed my interest of this line and made it feel like a burden to collect.  These are legitimate issues that need to be addressed by the toy buyer for Walgreens.

I've had good luck with the Walgreens stuff until very recently.  I've been helping out pretty much everyone with the Walgreens 2.5, 3 and 4 waves but now I'm seeing stores restock with full cases of 1.  That doesn't bode well for finding wave 5 when that hits.

On 4/24/2017 at 0:55 AM, DSTZach said:

It makes sense to me.  That Leader mate is fine as a modern mate but I pretty much just stick to classic looks at this point.  The modern stuff doesn't really appeal to me unless it's a new character (Silk, Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel, etc.) because the modern looks tend to not last very long before they are changed to the next latest and greatest look.

I'm happy we've gotten Man-Thing and Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel but that's only 3 figures out of 48 (54 if you include TRU 20) so far that I've been genuinely excited about. Some of the more obscure characters are neat to see too but not must haves for me.

Edited by MisterMiracle

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

It's incomprehensible to me that anyone would need more than a quick glance to see the difference in styles and understand why some collectors wouldn't like it. DST made a deliberate decision to change the style for these so it's hard to understand why anyone would think that would only be a positive. And if that's a "very" detailed 'mate are the usual comic minimates hyper-detailed? I just don't think that's an accurate description compared to the various other minimate lines out there.

I wouldn't suggest a character showing up in the animated line is the only reason we wouldn't see a comic version but based on the various comments and actual lineups over the years it seems pretty clear it's a strike against them.

4 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

I like the Animated mates and think they look good among my comic figures. Glad to have an Avengers vs. Squadron Supreme in my display only missing a Grandmaster to make it perfect. Can't wait for Kamala and Proxima Midnight.

Im now hopin for a GrandMaster! These minimates look GREAT! I guess everyone has their own opinions but the regular comic mates and the animated mate both are fantastic in their own ways. I for one am glad both are being made.

Edited by spidermatt

Okay, can someone help me out? In which episode(s) did Mayday Parker appear? I remember Petra Parker being the Spidergirl that looks like this from the Spider-verse episodes, being from the world/universe where all the hero genders were reversed. But I don't remember Mayday. Thanks!

Oddly enough I don't own a Leader minimate, so I welcome this update. 

Also, I really enjoy the animated line. I was able to get minimates of characters I never thought I would see. I got to replace some of my QCs and customs, which didn't match the level of details of actual releases. I'm happy to see new characters get released in any comic style, be it animated or not. The MCU releases I have are ones that closest resemble their comic book counterparts. I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Also, I'm kind of hitching my wagon to whatever I think is getting me my Wrecking Crew the fastest....or Darkhawk, Sleepwalker and Deathlok. If Death's Head ever shows up on the cartoons I'll lose my freaking mind. 

Leader's costume looks slightly different every time he appears. He really doesn't have a definitive look. Shoulder pads or straps or boots or armor or gloves or gauntlets, it all changes depending on the artist. Funky orange space suit is the one constant and it's represented here. This works just fine for me.

4 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

Okay, can someone help me out? In which episode(s) did Mayday Parker appear? I remember Petra Parker being the Spidergirl that looks like this from the Spider-verse episodes, being from the world/universe where all the hero genders were reversed. But I don't remember Mayday. Thanks!

I don't believe she ever appeared, I'm sure this minimate is Petra not Mayday.

I pull out my bin of animated minimates today and it's been a very impressive lineup over all the waves.  We've gotten almost all the hero teams (see below) and quite a few of great villains.  There hasn't been too many repeated characters (sans Spidey) and a great line to collect....if only they were easier to find (Still no sign of wave 4 here in MN by me)

I still would love to get an animated Iron Fist and White Tiger before we get animated minimates from the new Spiderman Series.  The original Ultimate Spiderman team has a big hole in it without them.  It'd be all existing parts sans the White Tiger head piece and that could just be the new Black Panther head piece from Civil War with a ponytail stuck to it.

I will never understand the qualms over the animated style mates. Do I notice the difference between the Batman:TAS figures and DC Icons? Absolutely! But mates, with their small scale and stylized design, blend together perfectly IMHO.

THAT said, it IS a matter of personal preference, so fine. Man-Thing or the new Leader doesn't work for you? I get it. Don't buy it. Fine.

What confuses me is when people act like "Oooh, man, we were SO close to a new comic Leader and now we'll NEVER get him!" ::shrugs:: I'm not saying the glass is half full. I'm not telling you to be happy with what you're getting just because I am. But then, it's not half empty, either. You didn't LOSE anything, that's just your perception of the situation. The glass simply is.

Besides... What fun would there be in a toy line that made every figure you want right away? What would you have to look forward to? 

8 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

I will never understand the qualms over the animated style mates. Do I notice the difference between the Batman:TAS figures and DC Icons? Absolutely! But mates, with their small scale and stylized design, blend together perfectly IMHO.

THAT said, it IS a matter of personal preference, so fine. Man-Thing or the new Leader doesn't work for you? I get it. Don't buy it. Fine.

What confuses me is when people act like "Oooh, man, we were SO close to a new comic Leader and now we'll NEVER get him!" ::shrugs:: I'm not saying the glass is half full. I'm not telling you to be happy with what you're getting just because I am. But then, it's not half empty, either. You didn't LOSE anything, that's just your perception of the situation. The glass simply is.

For the most part, they do fit in.  You can tell the difference in the details but they're close.  That's not my issue.  My issue is with being told that an animated or modern look is close enough to the classic re-do you wanted so just accept it.  If we finally get a new Abombination and it's the more recent blue version instead of the classic green and someone says something, I feel like people are going to say "Blue is close enough to green."

I also certainly think it doesn't help the chances of seeing a regular version of a character you were looking forward to if they make an animated style one.  I could be wrong but I don't think we've heard or seen plans for regular versions of the GOTG, Man-Thing, Nighthawk, Squirrel Girl, Hyperion, Speed Demon, Dr. Spectrum, or Ms. Marvel after seeing them in the animated line.  I'm ok with the animated versions of those but if you're a huge fan of those characters you might be a little bummed out that you're probably not going to see a regular version of them anytime soon.

2 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

My issue is with being told that an animated or modern look is close enough to the classic re-do you wanted so just accept it.

Yeah, I'm flashing back to the recent Bobby Drake Debate.

I'm all for making lemonade from lemons but don't hand me a glass of warm piss and tell me it's mouthwash... from a certain point of view.