UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iceman Gets a Retcon...

hellpop

My favorite part is he put up an ice-wall because he didn't want to talk to her about it.

This was my favourite part too. I'm interested and willing to see where this goes, as I do believe the situation with Bobby is plausible given his history.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting a link with all the pages, MsMarvel Fan. The writing is... Bendis-y.

bmh.gif

You guys do make a decent case for the reveal, though. And, since I don't read the book, I probably don't have the right to criticize it. But I'll never watch Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends the same way. biggrin.png

I would think Emma would be much more likely to reveal someone's in the closet, though. She's a bitch. Also, Iceman spent several years around Moondragon, another telepathic bitch. It would be really hard to keep a secret around those two.

Last time I was reading xmen Bobby and Polaris were banging. Now I see this and look at the panels and it sucks.

Everything about it feels like they are shoehoring it in for reasons not related to the character, be it shock value or "hey let's make a guy whose been around since the 60's gay because we want readers to know we are ok with gays"

The only iceman I've ever loved was covered in coconut flakes, but I still think this is ridiculous.

Edited by arnim zola

I would think Emma would be much more likely to reveal someone's in the closet, though. She's a bitch. Also, Iceman spent several years around Moondragon, another telepathic bitch. It would be really hard to keep a secret around those two.

Yes - but Moondragon is also not straight, and so she might have known what it felt like to be in the closet, and been reasonably sensitive as a result.

FMK - Iceman, Northstar, Rictor lol

Bah ha ha! K - i'll play along.

F - Rictor - cause he can rock your world! (Terrible joke, i know)

M - Iceman - Seems like a nice dude.

K - Northstar - cause he's kind of a douche (sorry bro).

Except there was no reveal!

People are treating this as if Jean shouted, "BOBBY! Knock it off! You're HOMOSEXUAL!" right in front of the whole team. She didn't. If anyone was "outed" it was Jean coming out to admit that she knew Bobby was just playing hetero.

Bobby knew. Jean knew. Now Bobby knows that Jean knew. Otherwise readers are just getting pissy that Jean outed Bobby to readers, and that seems a little unreasonable.

FMK - Iceman, Northstar, Rictor lol

Bah ha ha! K - i'll play along.

F - Rictor - cause he can rock your world! (Terrible joke, i know)

M - Iceman - Seems like a nice dude.

K - Northstar - cause he's kind of a douche (sorry bro).

You're my spirit animal, because this is exactly how I saw it, right down to the rock your world joke

And for those picking Northstar as the F... two words: super speed. I was going to kill Rictor at first, too, until I considered the logistics. Best case scenario, it's over like that. Worst case? FRICTION BURNS.

Except there was no reveal!

People are treating this as if Jean shouted, "BOBBY! Knock it off! You're HOMOSEXUAL!" right in front of the whole team. She didn't. If anyone was "outed" it was Jean coming out to admit that she knew Bobby was just playing hetero.

Bobby knew. Jean knew. Now Bobby knows that Jean knew. Otherwise readers are just getting pissy that Jean outed Bobby to readers, and that seems a little unreasonable.

It doesn't matter that only Bobby and Jean know. The whole point is that it was never, EVER Jean's responsibility to confront and "out" Bobby. It's entirely reckless and irresponsible to think that's the correct way to handle that situation.

It shows the absolute inexcusable ignorance of the writer. There is no acceptable situation where purposefully exposing someone like that is ok. LGBT teens are a HUGE suicide risk and there are too many real life stories of teens being outed by "friends" that result in a loss of life, no matter how "good" the intentions were.

I don't care if someone thinks it's part of Jean's character, it's the wrong thing to do and instead of attracting LGBT readers, it could easily shut them out because of the harmful message sent in that panel. Every single thing about this whole issue is very wrong.

I kept out of this thread because the written word (especially mine it seems) can be misconstrued ....BTW I am neither gay nor homophobic & completely happy about being neither . The temptation for me to belittle, make fun or ridicule this announcement was immense but the previous post is a great post & I wanted to say so . A great post ,well said.

Edited by buttheadsmate

There is no acceptable situation where purposefully exposing someone like that is ok.

Exposing it to whom? Bobby? I'm pretty sure he already knew.

Exposing it to Bobby that Jean abused her powers and now knows his deepest secret and is confronting him on it inappropriately. Bobby didn't know that Jean knew. This ambush, and disregard towards another persons secrets are what cause real life people to take their own lives in situations like these.

Regardless if Bobby knew he was gay or not, it's very stupid for Jean to tell Bobby he's not bi, but full gay. That's so dangerously presumptuous. No one has a right to tell someone what they are.

My biggest gripe isn't that Iceman is gay, it's that everything in that panel is what makes real life LGBT teens feel targeted and sometimes leads them into self-abuse or worse. There's so many better and more positive ways to make Bobby gay, but instead it's a nightmare, echoing countless real life scenarios of tragedies.