UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Predator Minimates

There's only one Predator in the first movie, you almost have to mix it up.

Yeah, but there's at least 5 legitimate versions that can be done of just that one Yautja. I'd rather not have to wait several years to complete the other 8 cast members (or worse, not at all). Predator is strong enough to stand on it's own. The decision to merge, I think, has more to do with lack of confidence in the other two titles carrying their own lines, which is understandable. I just wish the merging would take place after the classic film had successfully run it's course. This manner of blending awakens Star Trek anxieties of incomplete collections.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yautja, BD Yautja, water emergence Yautja, cloaked Yautja

Sure, I only get four, but... I see what cdubya is saying.

As is, I would still think wave one would dial into the first film to get us hooked, then tall of in later assortments:

Dutch/Yautja

Muddy Dutch/Water emergence

Billy/Hawkins

Dillon/Anna

Then series two could be:

Glover/P2 Yautja

Predator-vision Glover/Cloaked P2 Yautja

Blain/Mac

Bill Paxton/Maria Conchita Alonso

And then...

Predator-vision Dutch/Cloaked Yautja

Adrian Brody/captured Predator

Laurence Fishburne/super Predator

Gen Phillips/Poncho

Maybe something like that? You'd still need Gary Busey and Alice Braga at the very least, if not the rest of the Predators cast, so a fourth wave could even happen

Edited by Mnemosis

I see the points you guys are making, I guess to me I thought of it as a way of getting Predators out there to mix with the Aliens, and that aside from Schwarzenegger, the rest of the human characters were kind of secondary. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them get deep into all three films though.

Considering that lots of people here have been disappointed about our single-movie Aliens waves, and now people are disappointed about blended Predator waves, it sounds like a case of not being able to please everybody, even when you try to accommodate both groups.

Aliens has the most aliens, features the main heroine of the franchise and is arguably the most well-known and merchandisable entry.

Predators features the most Predators, but it doesn't feature the franchise's most famous hero, and it is definitely not the series' most well-known and merchandisable entry.

I didn't make the decision, but I see why it was made. Plus, why not mix it up, in case the Aliens plan is a bust? You can always Ask DST, Chuck is the grand arbiter.

Edited by DSTZach

It's just that DST has two very similar movies – each with a popular hero and alien antagonist – and one's getting treated very differently than the other.

I'm wondering why Predator isn't getting a 4-pack with Dutch, Dillon, Billy, and a Predator the way Alien is getting a 4-pack of Ripley, Kane, Parker, and the Big Chap.

I'm wondering why the Predator franchise is getting a "Legacy"-style mixed assortment of movies while the Alien franchise is getting waves dedicated to one film at a time.

Just curious.

I'm wondering why Predator isn't getting a 4-pack with Dutch, Dillon, Billy, and a Predator the way Alien is getting a 4-pack of Ripley, Kane, Parker, and the Big Chap.

I am NOT wondering this, I'm just happy it's not happening. Chalk it up to listening to fans' input re: the Alien/Aliens license. Does it suck for the Alien fan? Sure. But know that your sacrifice has paved the way for a presumably more complete Predator offering

Technically, Predator 2 had the most Predators with a total of 10. While I'm all for getting as many Pred.s possible, I think I'm just a bit nervous that some of the Predator human cast might get neglected as a result. Their dynamic (and cornucopia of "one-liners") is what made the first film so successful in the eyes of most fans. The same could slightly be said for Predators to some extent, which is why it is considered the true sequel. Predator 2, well let's just say that two minutes of screen-time that the lost-clan had was probably the most memorable of that film.

I realize people have moved on to the ever-important wishlisting, but...

stick.gif

Is one of these guys supposed to be me? We had an exchange right before this got posted. If so, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Usually you see this in reference to institutions, not individuals. Maybe I'm supposed to be the one wih the stick, but regardless of who has the stick, that's kinda harsh.

If you mean I deserve to get hit with a stick, I thought my preceding answers pretty much covered everything you asked, except for the thing about a Predator 4-pack, and I think that answers itself. Sorry, Alien fans, but Predator CLEARLY deserves more than a four-pack, and I can see people losing their minds here if we revealed plans for one 4-pack without IMMEDIATELY announcing the next three.

If you mean DST deserves to get hit with a stick, there is no formula for our movie lines. There is not even a proven pattern set by Aliens. Any pattern we've begun with Aliens has not had time to prove successful, and the two franchises are very different, as I laid out above. Alien 1 is not Predator 1, Aliens is not Predator 2, Alien 3 and 4 are not Predators. It would be strange to treat them exactly the same way.

I know Chuck is interested in making all of the Predator 1 cast, and I believe there have been plans set for most of it, in two-packs and elsewhere. I have personally pushed for all of the Predator 2 detectives, although those plans are less concrete. (We have not even discussed Adam Baldwin.) Predators, we'll see how deep we go.

If people are trying to predict what will come next in Minimates based on what has come before, do not even try. Not assortments, not box sets, not licenses. You will not win. I promise you. 2015 has a lot of surprises.

I am happy to hear that they are mixing all the Predator movies together in each wave. My only worry is that we won't get the main humans from all the movies. I hope the line lasts long enough though. I even went on avpgalaxy.net to help spread the info about Predator and Alien minimates.

Edited by THE_CRIPPLER

This is just me, I know I don't speak for hard-core Predator fans, but to me when they announced they had the license I was most interested in just getting Predators to fight the Aliens. Will I pick up all the human characters they make as well? Of course, why wouldn't I? But I'm more concerned with getting a variety of Predators. One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is while there are subtle differences to the Aliens, they mostly follow the same look, save the Queen and the Dog/Ox. But there could be dozens of different styles of Predator, NECA has proven that. I hope everybody involved gets whatever they want out of this license, but I think the only two human characters that absolutely have to be made are Dutch and Jesse Ventura. Those are the two I always see referenced from casual fans, who would likely be the casual buyer.

I am happy to hear that they are mixing all the Predator movies together in each wave. My only worry is that we won't get the main humans from all the movies. I hope the line lasts long enough though. I even went on avpgalaxy.net to help spread the info about Predator and Alien minimates.

How are the forums there? The Minimates thread seems pretty quiet.

And you'll get all the main characters from each film, but the wider that list gets, obviously the less likely we are to complete your list. If you consider the entire team of Predator 1 the main characters, then I would say we certainly are planning to get to most if not all of them, and I don't know that making the first assortment 100% Predator 1 would have made them more likely.

I know Chuck is interested in making all of the Predator 1 cast, and I believe there have been plans set for most of it, in two-packs and elsewhere.

"Elsewhere" sounds intriguing.

• 1 month later...