UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Predator Minimates

I'm very confident that a 2" scale Predator that happens to be 2.5" or 3" tall isn't going to conflict with any other company's product line. Licensors get the concept of scale. Otherwise DST could go to Fox and get them to stop NECA from making facehuggers for their 7" Alien figure line because they're two inches in height, infringing on their agreement.

Part of my Columbus Day was spent watching a movie about a bunch of natives freaking out about invaders with vastly superior technology bent on taking over. Seemed appropriate.

I enjoyed The Predator. As someone expecting it to be the Thor: Ragnarok of the franchise (my least favorite Marvel movie), I wasn't disappointed. There were only three other people in the morning matinee – all men, all alone – so I had the benefit of a relatively private screening without much other audience reaction. It wasn't a perfect flick but it was very self-aware, included just the right amount of testosterone, and the score sounded like it was lifted right from the original. (Same song, new dance.) Also, the line delivered by a startled Thomas Jane made me laugh.

Now I'm not only looking forward to adding the 4-pack to my collection but hoping that DST will be able to offer more characters either with another 4-pack or within the legacy assortment. However I get the feeling that an appropriately sized Minimate of the Assassin Predator would require a deluxe SKU like the Alien Queen. He's a very big boy.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

1. I'm still hunting for a Hawkins - dude is never on eBay. 

2. Will there be more Pred mates? I'd still love to see the final Predator 2 preds, battle-damaged Blain or Dillon, and more (I would not stop buying variations of the main characters, of the first two movies at least).

" At this moment we do not have any more Predator MM planned, but we’ve tried to make this line as complete as possible, and the new movie box set hits this week! "

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/2018/11/ask-dst-404-marvel-select-star-trek-ghostbusters-and-more/?fbclid=IwAR34PC_Bzm-C82UyuLolTZXkHLbL-SNpuzMt4hTPzLHKmKy002F60YMsDAs

(edit - actually next week, 11/21 according to Diamond's shipping lists)

Edited by JeffBohn

On 10/9/2018 at 9:57 AM, MisterPL said:

I'm very confident that a 2" scale Predator that happens to be 2.5" or 3" tall isn't going to conflict with any other company's product line. Licensors get the concept of scale. Otherwise DST could go to Fox and get them to stop NECA from making facehuggers for their 7" Alien figure line because they're two inches in height, infringing on their agreement.

Not every licensor would care, or licensee, but some definitely would care, and it doesn't make retooling a 2.5 or 3" body any more economically feasible or stylistically practical.

18 hours ago, elhonez said:

1. I'm still hunting for a Hawkins - dude is never on eBay. 

Was that one in a blind bag or 2-pack?  I have a few unopened blind bags that I haven't touched.  I kinda gave up on buying Minimates for myself after having issues tracking stuff down with the Predator and TMNT lines.

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened The Predator set and my one complaint is the serious restriction in the range of motion on the Pred’s shoulders. That armor seriously limits the arms. I’m thinking the shoulder armor should have been sculpted onto the arms. 

Otherwise this is a pretty cool set and I’d love to see more characters from this flick. 

Without TRU, we might have to settle for 4-packs at specialty. That probably means no more legacy assortments with mixed source material. I don’t think DST would offer one SKU that includes characters from multiples films and comics  

Worst case, yeah, they can’t find interested retailers and it’s over. ☹️

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 8:40 AM, MisterPL said:

Yeah, that Assassin Predator would make a great BAF for the next assortment.

Or not.

Per Ask DST #406:

DSTChuck: At this time we are not planning more Aliens or Predator MM.

Just when I was getting jazzed looking at NECA's new Predator designs and thinking how well they'd translate into Minimates.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Mattallica said:

so i just got this set and its been so long since i saw the movie can some tell/remind me why Casey has invisible limbs included

I thought in the final battle she had used it to turn invisible and get the jump on the predator...but it's been a while since I've seen the movie too. 

There wasn't a specific scene where just her arms and legs were transparent, so it was most likely referencing something that ended up on the cutting room floor after they re-shot the second half of the movie.  If the legs and arms weren't painted, one could assume DST just couldn't justify the costs to include the translucent waist/body/head/hair, (basically an entirely separate Minimate), but since they have paint to match the torso colors, it most likely was a change to the movie.

• 5 months later...