UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Predator Minimates

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can find the good in any entry in a franchise that I really enjoy, whether it's Star Wars, Star Trek or Predator. I wasn't expecting greatness, but I expected better. Much better.

On topic, can we get a Minimate sized Huey?  

Eh, probably not.

On September 15, 2018 at 11:55 PM, MisterPL said:

As someone who’s found recent installments of Star Wars and Star Trek pretty satisfying, that gives me hope. 

I’d love a Huey, too, with a chopper pilot (the same dude who played the Predator).

I was in no way trying to compare The Predator with any installment, entry or chapter in those franchises or give possibly false hope. Just that I can usually find enough good in the not so good. This new movie, in my opinion, is mindless garbage.

Add the general to that Huey set as well. I'd also like to see the original team as they appeared when they first dropped into the jungle. 

I went and watched it with the family over the weekend. We all enjoyed it quite a bit. I think one thing that people didn't like was that it didn't feel like a Predator movie. It had quite a bit of joking/comedy in it. I wish the tone was a little more serious.  I am a huge Predator fan and still enjoyed it though. The only thing I really didn't care for was the predator dogs. They really didn't serve much purpose in the movie, especially one of them (you will know what I mean after you watch it).

There were some great action sequences in the movie and quite a bit of gore. Most of it was cgi, which I am not a huge fan of, especially when it could be done using practical effects. Still it is worth seeing. It was a fun "popcorn" movie. There was a lot cut from the movie too. I wonder if we will ever get a directors cut of the movie.

Oh yeah, I also found it more enjoyable than the last few Star Wars movies, so everyone's opinion is going to be different.

Edited by THE_CRIPPLER

13 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Ouch. I've only seen the first AvP thanks to the universally abysmal reviews the sequel enjoyed.

One of my friends summed this movie up by saying it's the kind of video you'd have rented at Blockbuster in the late 80s if nothing else was available.

Try AVP:R if you get a chance. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's better than AVP.  And the Predator in that one is awesome.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:23 PM, Big Ape said:

Try AVP:R if you get a chance. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's better than AVP.  And the Predator in that one is awesome.

Ya might have to turn the bright setting up on your tv. Its such a dark movie. 

I wouldnt mind an all predator box set with the wolf predator. Hmmm how about an AVP R box set.

1 hour ago, spidermatt said:

Ya might have to turn the bright setting up on your tv. Its such a dark movie. 

I wouldnt mind an all predator box set with the wolf predator. Hmmm how about an AVP R box set.

I’d say that it’s unlikely such an unpopular film would get minimarts but Alien Resurrection got minimates and so did the f**king Dark Tower so I guess as long as you’re not DC or Star Wars anything can get a minimate series. 

Despite having both Alien and Predator licenses, DST still can’t do AvP without that very specific agreement. Once Disney takes over they might put it all under one umbrella. Who knows what opportunities might arise.

But yeah, if we can get Minimates based on Kenner toys, the AvP flicks should be viable. The creature designs are pretty cool. 

I would take a 4 pack from the first AvP movie:

• Grid Alien 
  • Scar Predator 
  • Alexa Woods 
  • Charles Bishop Weyland

23 hours ago, RedTiger95 said:

Getting a Predalien from AvP Requiem would be nice.

Agreed.  Also, the Predator in that film is a beast and would make a good Minimate, IMO.

I'm kinda shocked they didn't pull out the 2.5 or 3 inch mold for the new predator in The Predator.  I mean, I'm not a big one for size fidelity when it comes to minimates, but it woulda been kinda neat to have a predator hunter towering over the other predators.

Also, for what it's worth, I can confirm that the movie is terrible.  Not in a "man this is boring and bad" kind of way, but more of a "wait, what?" kind of way.  It really bums me out too because I love both Shane Black and Fred Dekker (even if Robocop 3 is garbage); I was really rooting for a rocking good time from them.

I'm pretty sure the 3" toolings are gone. Not sure about the 2.5" toolings. Ideally they should be as interchangeable as possible with the 2" bodies which would mean re-engineering them to use the smaller pins, holes, and ball/socket joints. That may not be feasible but, yes, I'd love to see a larger body for such a larger Predator (or Alien queen, for that matter).

Not at  you MisterPL, I aim this at the world in general..... the 3" toolings are gone ????  BS :no: . 'Tooling' for (as an example) Ghostbusters'  Boogieman has probably 'gone' but Imassureasfuck that it could be retooled if necessary/demand was there.  I accept that tampo printing procedures et al might be a  consideration but how many 'get outs' can one give ?

They can't be assed is closer to the mark .......'they' know best.

Oh, that seemed a little odd to me as well. I know steel dies only have a certain amount of life in them before they have to be retooled but that doesn't mean the original specs aren't recycled, unless they require modifications. (The limited range of motion in Iron Man's shoulders leaps to mind.)

I can understand if the original masters are lost somewhere in a factory overseas but in an age where these things are done digitally, there's no good excuse.

Yes, we can't be "assed." ?

At this point, our Minimates license is usually specifically for 2" mini-figures, since there are often action figure conflicts that make anything bigger off-limits. PRedator is likely one of those.

Also, what with parts re-use, there isn't a surplus of 3" parts to re-use for a 3" body, so we'd have to tool all of the add-on parts, as well -- feet, hands, hair, coats, vests, holsters, boots.

And I BELIEVE the tooling for a Minimates body,  like the plastic used, is a more durable (and expensive) material than the usual parts mold, with sliding parts for the hollow bits, etc., so the main tool would be much pricier than usual. 

Also, the interchangeability feature pretty much goes out the window. 

So there is no pressing reason to re-tool the larger body.