UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Predator Minimates

22 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

So wait, Series 5 is a TRU exclusive? Is it going to be all new figures or a repack situation like the first Aliens TRU series?

No, 100% new figures. One new human character, two new outfits for existing characters, five new Predators, I think, including one Pred-on-Pred 2-pack. I'm sure most of them are repaints, but they are fun repaints.

19 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I don't live in the US & there is only one place that I found online that had that variant set & it wasn't BBTS who ,according to my screen had been sold out since around Saturday .

Sorry, I didn't see that it was pre-sold out on my phone. Not sure if that might change when the sets are actually marked as received, but also not sure why they don't have them just yet. Something to keep an eye on, anyway.

Did a quick Google Search, and the following Anna sets popped up at retailers, all with a slight markup.

http://www.atomicempire.com/item.aspx?item=218406

https://kingscomics.com/products/predator-minimates-ser-4-anna-cloaked-predator

https://www.amazon.com/Minimates-Predator-Variant-Cloaked-Unmasked/dp/B073L3SNG1/ref=sr_1_1

And a set of all four packs:

https://www.amazon.com/Minimates-Predator-Complete-2-Packs-Figures/dp/B073L7K1JL/ref=sr_1_2

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/3/2017 at 8:13 AM, DSTZach said:

5 is only at TRU, so specialty is taking a small break. But next is The Predator.

Why is specialty taking a small break? Is it making room for something else from another line, maybe something TRU doesn't carry? I'm not worried about the line, especially with The Predator on the way. In my fantasy world the assortment specialty would have gotten is being replaced with a Deluxe offering. :D

ActionFleetShipGaloobMIB1b.gif

On 7/3/2017 at 11:59 PM, DSTZach said:

Mac was not one per case. There were two of him, same as Noland and Keyes. 

If anyone needs a Series 4 set with Anna, Big Bad Toy Store has the set with Anna for less than SRP.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/48791

They also have Series 1 and 2 blind bags if you need Hawkins or Edwin. You're still gonna pay a premium for them, but it might be worth it if you want a some extra Army men, Predators or Mexican enforcers for customs.

I know Mac wasn't one per case, but he was more in demand that the guys from the other movies.  And that goes double for Hawkins.

What's happened is the stores get stuck with figures that nobody wants and the collectors miss out or "pay a premium" like you said.  And that sucks for everybody.  Who wins?

12 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Got my LCS sets from Luke today. I didn't notice it before but all of the Predators in the LCS wave are the clear versions. It might have been nice to see one of the new Lost Tribe from the TRU wave in one of the LCS sets. But I understand packing the 4 Lost Tribe figures together for TRU.

One Lost Tribe from TRU in the specialty assortment means you'd have to buy two of someone to get all of them. Except in the case of variants/chases, we really try not to do that. The cloaked versions in the LCS wave are exclusive to that wave, I believe. 

10 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Why is specialty taking a small break? Is it making room for something else from another line, maybe something TRU doesn't carry? I'm not worried about the line, especially with The Predator on the way. In my fantasy world the assortment specialty would have gotten is being replaced with a Deluxe offering. :D

TRU wanted more Predator MM, but specialty still has inventory to sell through before The Predator. Nothing in particular replacing it. And I am not sure enough people can identify a Predator ship to make that a strong seller, but I may be wrong.

2 hours ago, BCDX97 said:

I know Mac wasn't one per case, but he was more in demand that the guys from the other movies.  And that goes double for Hawkins.

You didn't mention them, you said make less Predators. Not sure you can definitively say that Mac is more in demand than Keyes or Noland -- or Hawkins either, for that matter -- but sorry you seem to be having difficulty.

2 hours ago, BCDX97 said:

What's happened is the stores get stuck with figures that nobody wants and the collectors miss out or "pay a premium" like you said.  And that sucks for everybody.  Who wins?

With blind bags, a brick-and-mortar retailer theoretically does not get stuck with figures no one want -- unless no one wants Predator Minimates. :( But for those who buy them, we assumed customers would be more excited at the prospect of getting a Predator than a human, so there are more Predators. It's tougher with an online retailer like Luke, because I can see how buying blind bags online would be a less appealing prospect for an online shopper who wants to know what they're getting, and for a physical shopper who wants to FEEL what they're getting. And once you open them all up, the case ratios may not match up exactly with how people would buy them under normal circumstances. Long story short, blind bags were not necessarily designed for online retailers, but for retail counters. If we did more blind bags, I might argue against rares, but we have no real plans.

Two-pack assortments are planned (within movie grouping restrictions) to deliver the most desired characters in the correct ratios, and create appealing two-packs, at least as far as we see it. If our ratios turn out to be off, it's not because we're trying to make more popular characters hard to find, it's because our perception did not match up with the reality -- hindsight is 20-20. One-per-case characters are the exception, as they have a built-in rarity and are meant to be an incentive to retailers, but we choose those characters based on who we perceive to be the least desirable overall. But perceived rarity can sometimes increase actual demand. We thought Anna and Hawkins would be less desirable than other characters in the assortment, and maybe if they were evenly packed, they would have been. Who knows.

Borg? You mean...

fig0621flg.jpg
(Hail Ivan)

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Ive never even seen the movies but I know I want 10 of those ships :yes:

You... haven't... :blink:  not even the first one?!?!?!? :gah:

Have you no culture, sir? Watch Predator and Predator 2 this weekend. (quality degrades rapidly after that)

Oh you poor unfortunate soul, in pain, in need... sorry, wrong movie.
As with Predator, see Alien and Aliens, Skip the rest. Well you can watch the first 3/4 of Aliens 4 (Be sure that you stop AS SOON as Ripley gets separated from the group/captured by the Xeno's and then turn the movie off and NEVER finish it. You will be happier that way... trust me on this!!!)

I'd argue you can skip Predator 2, the only movie I almost walked out of. Predators was a lot more fun but if one is collecting 'mates from every film, one should see them all and judge for oneself.

As for the Alien franchise, I'd recommend watching them all but in the order of release. Alien: Covenant is nothing but a giant spoiler for the original masterpiece. Cameron's followup was good but a different genre. Alien3 tried to get back to the horror/suspense roots and mostly succeeded. Alien: Resurrection (as with Alien3) is best considered a hypersleep nightmare but it does feature Joss Whedon's prototype for the crew of the Serenity.

And then there's the AvP flicks... :glare:

On 7/6/2017 at 8:58 PM, Mirymate said:

Oh you poor unfortunate soul, in pain, in need... sorry, wrong movie.
As with Predator, see Alien and Aliens, Skip the rest. Well you can watch the first 3/4 of Aliens 4 (Be sure that you stop AS SOON as Ripley gets separated from the group/captured by the Xeno's and then turn the movie off and NEVER finish it. You will be happier that way... trust me on this!!!)

What?! You're saying you didn't like

Spoiler

the creepy human-alien amalgam getting sucked into the vacuum of space through a 1 inch-wide hole?? Oh, and of course part-alien-cloned Ripley 'doing the deed' with an alien queen?? Can't imagine why you'd skip the end of Alien Resurrection, lol.

Anyways, looking back, that advice would have been much appreciated before viewing Alien 4 for the first time.

1 hour ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

Anyways, looking back, that advice would have been much appreciated before viewing Alien 4 for the first time.

I paid to see it at the theater. I was too stunned, too stupefied with what was on the screen to move. By the time I fully registered what they had really done, they created the afore mention 1 inch opening, and at that point morbid curiosity took over. Kept waiting for the Bobby-in-the-shower twist ending that never came.

I used to hate Pred-2... but it's grown on me over time. It's like Jaws, in that when I'm flipping channels... er scanning the guide for you kids... I always seem to find it playing sometime after the opening shootout. And finding nothing else that fits the "background noise while I work" midday TV viewing requirements, I end up finishing "watching" it. Kinda like Jaws... always seem to find it on, can't tell you last time I saw it start to finish.

Anyway, none of them are as good as the first one, mostly because we already know the drill, we've seen the big reveal, and you kinda know what's coming.

Edited by Mirymate

16 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

I paid to see it at the theater. I was too stunned, too stupefied with what was on the screen to move. By the time I fully registered what they had really done, they created the afore mention 1 inch opening, and at that point morbid curiosity took over. Kept waiting for the Bobby-in-the-shower twist ending that never came.

You know what I would like to see? An alternate ending for the franchise, like a Superman Returns deal, where they retcon 3 and 4 (or just the last 20 minutes of 4).

I think that was in the works at one point, there was some concept art floating around and talk of Aliens 5 showing that 3 & 4 were dreams Ripley was having in stasis, etc.. But these prequels very much killed the studios interest in all that. 

Director who was pushing the idea has already moved on.

Eh, I would've been wary about Blomkamp anyway. I like his trilogy, but he sticks to that aesthetic/locale a little too exclusively. Not that it means he would have (but he hasn't done anything that I've seen to indicate that he can do other styles), but I don't want a tan, dusty, South Afrikaan Alien movie.