UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Predator Minimates

7 minutes ago, JeffBohn said:

After catching the end of Predator, I kind of want a General Phillips just so we have every one of the named cast!

Nice.
Could include him with a Deluxe Huey Helicopter set, for the end scene. Dusty Dutch. Anna. Pilot.
Could reuse/variant the Huey for a beginning roping in scene too, with attachable rope pieces. Hawkins with Comic book. Blain with Jerky bag.

More ideas!

Laughing predator with open wrist computer. Log effect piece? Scared face fleeing Dutch.

Skinned victims. Vine effect stand piece, to hang victims upside down from. Scared face Billy. (Regular Billy face included so collectors who buy multiples to army build skinned victims, and whom already have Billy can display him in alternate "machete dual" format)

Guerilla soldier enemies, one could have an option part similar to the chest burster part from the alien line, but instead with a machete, for that "stick around" scene, plus a wall effect stand to be pinned to.

Triumphant/Trophy collector Predator, with skull/vertebra piece to hold up.

"Jungle Demon" Predator, A la NECA, with Scared Mac.

"You son of a b!&£#" set with double pegged hand piece to allow (red shirt) Dutch and (shirt and tie) Mac to link arms. General Philips.

Battle cry (variant muddy) Dutch with battle cry face, and Predator with glowing wrist blades. Tree branch stand? Bonfire effect piece?

All I got for now. ;)

A lot of my ideas often stray into deluxe sets, or would be dioramas/playsets. Has DST ever really done this with minimates? I know it raises the price point. But in my mind minimates are always most impressive in large numbers, or arranged in diorama style set ups. The prime example of this being the way Lego does it.

I always wonder too, if despite higher costs, lines might do better releasing larger sets/or assortments at a time. As completionists/collectors will research and await gradual releases to build a complete team of say Marvel Avengers, or Predator, or Aliens squad/cast, but casual buyers (to whom the viability of lines ultimately ride upon) won't appreciate the chase/waiting, or have the "vision" to imagine how novel/impressive a complete set might look. But they might be if the whole "team" were attractively packaged as one.

It would be a completely different approach to the collecting mentality, cutting straight to the chase. And perhaps it would be a poorer one, for not having as many variants, and side characters packed alongside "key players" that people want. But as I said, perhaps it would yield more casual buys.

As I write this I realise the folly of this whole idea. Offer more "complete" sets, to ensure longer line longevity. Hmm, paradox much. Can't have your cake and eat it.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't think there are many "casual" buyers who care about getting the whole team from Predator (or the equivalent from other movies); those people are probably interested in the Predator and Dutch. Now, it does seem likely that some serious collectors are turned off when some of the team is relegated to being short-packed in blind bags, but that's a different issue.

Besides the Space Jockey, which is pretty unique, DST hasn't done any diorama sets. I suspect there just aren't many candidates that they would expect to sell well enough.

As Blain might say on A&E, "You guys are all a bunch of slack-jawed ferrets around here. This stuff'll make you a gosh-darned sensual tyrannosaurus, just like me!"

I love the original line along with "I ain't got time to bleed."

Edited by cylonchaney
spleeing

On 4/9/2017 at 3:46 PM, stack32 said:

Now, it does seem likely that some serious collectors are turned off when some of the team is relegated to being short-packed in blind bags, but that's a different issue.

You mean like Hawkins who I bitched about being one-per-case and I have never seen him being sold anywhere for less than $35?

I still don't have Mac yet, either.  Here's hoping for a Mac/Hawkins 2-pack!

But stuff like this really kills my enthusiasm.  It almost killed me getting into the Aliens and Predator lines in the first place, but I finally figured out how to get the Minimates at non-crazy prices.  Hasn't happened with Hawkins, though. :(

7 hours ago, BCDX97 said:

Here's hoping for a Mac/Hawkins 2-pack!

As someone who has both Mac and Hawkins, I'd welcome that 2-pack. It makes sense to increase the line's longevity by not alienating consumers who truly want to "collect them all." 

9 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

As Blain might say on A&E, "You guys are all a bunch of slack-jawed ferrets around here. This stuff'll make you a gosh-darned sensual tyrannosaurus, just like me!"

I love the original line along with "I ain't got time to bleed."

I always thought it was "sexual tyrannosaurus."

9 hours ago, BCDX97 said:

You mean like Hawkins who I bitched about being one-per-case and I have never seen him being sold anywhere for less than $35?...

I still don't have Mac yet, either...  

But stuff like this really kills my enthusiasm. 

Yeah, this stuff for sure kills enthusiasm.  I was thankfully able to track down the one-per-case stuff for Predator but I am not sad at all that Predator isn't doing blind bags anymore. 

I thought about quitting the line with the second series of blind bags but was able to find a decent deal on a set right after they were released. My enthusiasm did take a pretty serious hit; I'm down to just picking up figures from the first movie and the Lost Tribe, otherwise I can skip it. Packing the same figures multiple times in blind bags (and in the case of the first series, making the inferior) and putting them in the two-packs is a recipe for frustration. I can see why DST might be hesitant on some members of Dutch's team, it's hard to imagine they would sell much worse than the fifth or sixth cloaked Predator variation though.

• 2 weeks later...

At the panel, it was brought up that they may be pursuing the upcoming "The Predator" for minimates. 

PonchoVest.thumb.png.7475b9e2a86e160041b123d9bead0a5b.png

Any idea if we're getting a vest/and or a backpack (like Hawkins) with Poncho?

I'm just worried he looks a bit like he could be confused for a rebel without one or the other.

Also, that grenade launcher would be sweet. I'm guessing there is more that is not shown. Anna for instance isn't shown with her sniper rifle.

• 1 month later...

What? No. I just got Series 4 samples. With Poncho, Lambert, Isabelle and Anna. TRU 4 has Hanzo. Both Isabelle and Hanzo have hounds. TRU 4 finishes the LA hunting party. 

Pretty sure Series 5 is designed, with more characters from Predator and Predators. Pretty cool.

Then we hunt The Predator.

Edited by DSTZach

18 hours ago, DSTZach said:

What? No. I just got Series 4 samples. With Poncho, Lambert, Isabelle and Anna. TRU 4 has Hanzo. Both Isabelle and Hanzo have hounds. TRU 4 finishes the LA hunting party. 

Pretty sure Series 5 is designed, with more characters from Predator and Predators. Pretty cool.

Then we hunt The Predator.

No Predator 2 preds in S5? I think we're short "Boar" and "Lost." Also, Danny & Leona from the LAPD. Garber would be cool too. Keyes' second-in-command, AND a Baldwin.