UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic-Con 2015 Exclusives Speculation

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So $20 per figure and $20 worth of packaging = $100 SDCC exclusive.

Would you be happy with a Minimates 4-pack of the same characters for $25?

Ummmm...yes!! Boxsets cost $19.99 at my LCS so with tax it's only a couple bucks more.

Also, there's 5 figures in that set.

So, Legends get Voodoo, Magik, Hela and Astral Strange and we get "Burglar Scott Lang". Yikes, and to think that a few years back we had such box sets as Thunderbolts, Alpha Flight and Dark Avengers. I mean, when it happens once in a while it's okay, but with the constant movie waves the SDCC sets were the only place we were guaranted to get some comic goodness, but now, we get variants of the movie waves. I can't say that I'm liking this situation.

Edited by Kostisfire

While I love minimates, i dont think it fair to compare their popularity to that of Marvel Legends, or the production ability of DST to that of Hasbro's

I think we still get awesome assortments, and there hasnt really been a decline in that truth.

While I love minimates, i dont think it fair to compare their popularity to that of Marvel Legends, or the production ability of DST to that of Hasbro's

I think we still get awesome assortments, and there hasnt really been a decline in that truth.

I get why it's been happening more and more as of late and I'm not really blaming DST, just reminiscing of the "old days"......I just want my Bondage-Men and Mr. Knight okay?! Don't judge me!

PS: I'm still not over the fact that we're getting Disco Dazzler instead of a new Ghost Rider. Or Strange. Or Panther. Or Moon Knight. Or Namor. Or Beast. Or Monica Rambeu. Or Black Knight. Or Hercules.

I'd definitely buy that set as minimates, even though I don't care about Voodoo and Magik.

As far as popularity, I would think it would be Hasbro who would struggle more to sell obscure characters since they generally are producing so many more figures. I suppose they have more money available to take risks on a relatively limited exclusive, but these characters aren't all that much more obscure than a lot of stuff coming out in the main line.

I don't particularly care about the individual figures, but as a set? That is phenomenal! It's themed, but it also touches the X-Men and Thor corners of the MU to tie in those aspects. Add the packaging, the eye of Agomotto, and the price? This is their best con set in ages!

I thought the big wearable infinity gauntlet set was cool, but this is way cooler. I sold my legends years ago and haven't given it a thought as far as getting back into them, but damn Hasbro hires Jesse falcon back and they have definitely been getting my attention again.

Gah - this hurts! Hela & Magik are two rather big wants for me in terms of Minimates. I'd also love to have them as Legends... but i don't know if i could justify that set for only 1 or 2 figures.

What's worse, is that i imagine that Magik and Hela are going to be the more expensive figures to find on ebay after the con.

Still - it's a great looking set! I would totes buy the minimate equivalent

And while the last 2 years of SDCC sets have been a bit movie focused and less 'risky', lets not forget that we DID get a Strange Tales set at LCS. I haven't seena first appearance Blade anywhere else. Or the Worthy. Or complete Alpha Flight, etc..

Not every year is going to be Christmas for every collector - we just need to wait it out sometimes.

And while the last 2 years of SDCC sets have been a bit movie focused and less 'risky', lets not forget that we DID get a Strange Tales set at LCS. I haven't seena first appearance Blade anywhere else. Or the Worthy. Or complete Alpha Flight, etc..

Not every year is going to be Christmas for every collector - we just need to wait it out sometimes.

That's true, but even the most recent of those sets was two years ago. I think it's pretty evident that since then there's been a shift in the approach to character selection in general and boxsets in particular. I'd be shocked if we see anything like Strange Tales again anytime soon.

Nessex, you make some excellent points BUT... you may be wrong about who's hard to get after the fact. I'd imagine anyone looking to expressly buy a Dr. Strange set will be most willing to part with Magik, then Hela. Voodoo is the wildcard here, but Dormammu is the one NO ONE will be giving up. I'm trying to decide if Magik, Astral Strange, and Dormammu are worth the money, especially knowing I'd turn around and track down NOW! Cyclops to go with Magik...

That's true, but even the most recent of those sets was two years ago. I think it's pretty evident that since then there's been a shift in the approach to character selection in general and boxsets in particular. I'd be shocked if we see anything like Strange Tales again anytime soon.

+1

I know we shouldn't put this idea in their heads, but if they were making box sets with that level of variety and newness, I'd pay more than I'm paying for box sets now. $25-30 for a box set with 3-4 new characters is still a better value to me than $20 for a box set with only one new character.

DST needs to reevaluate and embrace their creative side when it comes to SDCC exclusives. As fun as the DST exclusives are/can be, I think what really grinds our gears is that it feels like Hasbro is catering to "fans" while DST is catering more to "casuals".

Boxsets shaped like comic books that open up to display Minimates (or partially concealed Minimates per the license) would be a good start, or instead of 6 or 7 different exclusives, lets get 2 or 3 really BIG exclusives!

Imagine a comic Avengers boxset that had all of the Wrecking Crew facing off against the Avengers, in deluxe packaging!

Giant-Size X-Men #1 boxset (ala the original) that opened like a book and has all of the characters featured on the front.

ALIEN boxset that had all of the Nostromo Crew and an ALIEN, in a box shaped like the derelict ship! You could even have some cardboard pieces to setup and allow for little dioramas.

Star Trek TNG boxset of the Enterprise Bridge and all of the main characters in deluxe "anniversary style" packaging.

What about a Secret Wars Boxset (based on the old Mattel toyline of the 80's) with all of the characters in Minimate form? A 16-character boxset of mostly big-name characters and an exclusive Constrictor.

I know sometimes the SDCC exclusives linger after the show, but I really think that sometimes it because the exclusives "feel" like any other specialty shop release that was just chosen to be released at a convention. There's ultimately just nothing special about the presentation of them that screams "EXCLUSIVE!" to con attendees.

Remember that Transformers KRE-O boxset last year?

Hasbro-SDCC-Transformers-Kreon-Class-of-

I had zero interest in either Transformers or Kre-Os, but was tempted to pull the trigger on that many times just because of how that exclusive was presented, it triggered the right nostalgia. Ultimately I didn't buy it because I wasn't at the con and sensibility won over, but if I were a con attendee, THAT was the exact type of product that would get me to fork over money at the booth and worry about regrets later. ;)

I know DST doesn't have Hasbro money when it comes to exclusives, and I get that they have a much more limited budget to work with, but if they paired down the multiple offering to 2 or 3 "unique" exclusives, they would have better results.

For better or worse, and there are a lot of people who whine about the Hasbro SDCC exclusives because apparently they live in this fantasy world where Hasbro should go out of their way to make sure they get one at no higher than the retail price and mail it to their house free of charge, but to me it feels like Hasbro and some other companies look at their SDCC Exclusives as something really special, an opportunity to do something they don't ordinarily get to do, and I feel like DST has started to view them more as just another opportunity to release product, especially this year, it feels like they are supplements to product they were releasing anyway, and this is just the avenue they chose. And there's nothing wrong with that approach, but it certainly makes it less exciting.

Unfortunately, the IM3 10 pack will most likely be cited as why large sets don't work, despite 8/10 being reissues and the other 2/10 being civilians.

No matter what DST might say that 10-pack flopped because it was horrible. Jam packed with easily attainable repacks and two boring civilians. One of if not the worst exclusive DST has done.