UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Deadpool Movie Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine the audiences, as a whole, are pretty different at this point. Comics are so damn expensive that kids can't really get them. At least, not on the order that I could as a kid when they were 75 cents a piece. I'm not 100% convinced that kids can read at all anymore with the onslaught of digital devices and videogames that seems to permeate their lives from an early age.

I mean, there are still going to be Hasbro figures. But they'll fall into the same two camps they already do.

Marvel Universe 4" with the decreased articulation and practically specialty-market distribution.

Marvel Legends 6" like the Puck and Jubilee series which were blink and miss them assortments.

There will be mutants. But never in a way that promotes or acknowledges the Fox movie content.

Marvel probably would have pulled its logo off the Wolverine and DOFP assortments if it didn't mean Fox getting 100% of the credit for them.

Here's the issue I see. These films won't have an audience forever. Nice as that would be. But comics kinda can if they do it right. If they don't lose their readers now they're golden. I don't know if the Marvel films will survive getting the James Bond Doctor Who treatment like those series did. But in comics the characters can be the characters forever. And beloved things will be passed down parent to child. Comics favoring movies is a sad move really.

The fact Ryan Reynolds is in this just has me completely turned off to the movie, I just can't stand him, he plays the same character in every movie.

I agree ..to a point.....but there are many many 'actors' who just play themselves . John Wayne [whose films I generally loved] played himself ...as did Clint ...as did Arnie ...et al .

Here's the issue I see. These films won't have an audience forever. Nice as that would be. But comics kinda can if they do it right. If they don't lose their readers now they're golden. I don't know if the Marvel films will survive getting the James Bond Doctor Who treatment like those series did. But in comics the characters can be the characters forever. And beloved things will be passed down parent to child. Comics favoring movies is a sad move really.

I think the James Bond comparison is very appropriate, I think comic movies will go through something similar. In a way, we've already kind of seen it with the Batman franchise, it has ups and downs but never goes away completely, there may just be periods where it slows down. If the MCU continues at this rate, I'm all for it, but I think eventually they'll have to cool off a bit. My guess is instead of every franchise getting an installment between Avengers films, it will slow down to a much more sporadic rate where we get one, maybe two movies a year max, and they'll have fewer huge epic franchise crossover films, and when they do, it won't be every big name. Basically, we'll see what Robert Downey Jr. does now on a wider scale, where the big name heroes are saved to be the draw for team up films.

Edited by Valo487

I want to see if the MCU will survive a single narrative.

Obviously at some point the characters will need to be recast. That doesn't mean the whole shooting match has to start from scratch (unless something wonderful happens). Fox is getting close to that point now with Wolverine. As popular and successful as Hugh Jackman's incarnation has been, they need an exit strategy. That might come in the form of a "final" movie where Logan "dies," the franchise goes into stasis for a few years while they push Deadpool, and then recast Wolverine as they resurrect the character for Volume 2.

To me, it's no different than comics; just because a penciler leaves the book doesn't mean you go back to retelling origins. Just move forward.

Marvel Studios seems to be aware of the same hurdle. They'll keep Robert Downey Jr. for as long as it makes sense but in the meantimecultivate other properties like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Inhumans for the inevitable moment when they have to recast Tony Stark.

But no reboots, please. Not unless Marvel manages to re-aquire rights to all their characters, from X-Men and the FF to Spidey and Namor. And even then, only if it makes sense.

I definitely don't want to ever see them reboot the MCU, especially if they plan on continuing the shared universe. I don't know if you can show the Avengers assembling from scratch again without a severe case of "Been there, done that."

People were complaining about seeing Spider-Man's origin again, despite the fact that Spider-Man 3 left the franchise in such a bad spot there was little other option. Imagine that times 10.

Obviously at some point the characters will need to be recast.

It's already happened with major characters like Bruce Banner and Rhodey. The big issue will be trying to recast someone who made a role so distinctive that it's hard to imagine someone else doing it. RDJ, Hiddleston, Sam Jackson, and Pratt are really the only guys I would put in that category in the Marvel U at this point. I think you could recast Cap, Widow, Thor, Hawkeye, etc. and people could accept it so long as the new actor was competent. Edited by karamazov80

The fact Ryan Reynolds is in this just has me completely turned off to the movie, I just can't stand him, he plays the same character in every movie.

Here's a theory; what if Ryan Reynolds was really playing Deadpool in all his movies? Think about it...

I think it wouldn't be nearly as challenging as people think to recast the big roles, I think what will be more challenging than anything is having a new guy in the lead, with the same supporting cast. Because then it's not just a new player, you also have to try to recapture the chemistry and interactions with an original player as well.

How many different Frank Castles have we had? 3? I think it becomes difficult to really enjoy a character, or get attached to a certain portrayal, for fear someone else will be cast as that character. Then we'll be resentful, or will have mixed emotions, about the new installment of a movie with a new leading actor.

The ONE we have....

And in Marvel 'cinimatic' history, we have:

Five Hulk/Banners

Three Punishers

Three versions of the Fantastic Four

Two Captain Americas

Two Rhodey Rhodes

Two versions of Nick Fury and Dum Dum

Two (three?) Howard Starks

Two Gwen, one Mary Jane and soon to be three Spidermen

At least two of almost every major X-men character to have appeared....

It gets to be a bit much. I just look at it as different artists. :yes:

EDIT: Also...

Two Thors

Three Daredevils and Wilson Fisks

Edited by Onyx_6

The ONE we have....

And in Marvel 'cinimatic' history, we have:

Five Hulk/Banners

Three Punishers

Three versions of the Fantastic Four

Two Captain Americas

Two Rhodey Rhodes

Two versions of Nick Fury and Dum Dum

Two (three?) Howard Starks

Two Gwen, one Mary Jane and soon to be three Spidermen

At least two of almost every major X-men character to have appeared....

It gets to be a bit much. I just look at it as different artists. yes.gif

EDIT: Also...

Two Thors

Three Daredevils and Wilson Fisks

But how many narratives (reboots, remakes, etc.) do those recastings include?

The only recastings I can recall since Marvel Studios took over are Banner, Rhodey, and Fandral. Each of these roles has only been cast twice. That's not bad for what's coming up on an 11-film continuity.

My pet peeve is continuing to go back to same, shallow talent pool whenever they need to cast a different character. "We need someone to play The Atom. Hey, let's get the guy from Scott Pilgrim!" "The one who played the Human Torch?" "No, the one who played Superman!" Cast wider, Hollywood.

As for War Zone, I loved Ray Stevenson and found the story to be pretty relevant to the comic at the time but it was otherwise forgettable. Ray makes a decent Volstagg, though.

Multiple Howard Starks?

Dominic Cooper is a younger version of John Slattery (who is reprising "older Howard" in Ant-Man). Not recast.

(Also, who is the possible third?)

It's like James McAvoy is not a recasting of Patrick Stewart. Michael Fassbender/Ian McKellan. Jennifer Lawrence/Rebecca Romijn. Etc.

Not much time passed between the first two Iron Mans for Terrence Howard to be considered "just a young Don Cheadle", lol.